Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

E2 visa. No dual intent so why do people think we're going to stay?

E2 visa. No dual intent so why do people think we're going to stay?

Old Jul 10th 2017, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default E2 visa. No dual intent so why do people think we're going to stay?

Our family is relocating on E2 visa's. Basically my husbands company is paying for our temporary relocation and schooling for our children.

However, since we have told people we were moving to the States for 3 years I have lost count of the number of people that have said - you probably won't come back and the proceeded to relate some story about someone, or some people, they knew who went for a couple of years and never came back.
Travelling on an E2 visa my husband says that we have to come back, and he's quite adamant he wants to come back. Whereas I tend to be a little more open minded towards new opportunities so I would be open to staying if that was were we found ourselves in 3 years time. I'm not saying I wouldn't want to come back, just that I recognise that I might not.

So my question is; in your experience what is the most likely outcome? Even the Americans themselves when we visited have already decided we'll be staying. We've negitiated a 3 year lease, but they still expect us to stay longer

Is it right to expect there to be no wiggle room at atall with an E2 visa? I really don't fancy living as a legal alien indefinitely.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 visa. No dual intent so why do people think we're going to stay?

Originally Posted by RollingStones
Is it right to expect there to be no wiggle room at atall with an E2 visa?
There is no direct path to permanent residency from an E-2 visa. So, on the assumption that you even want to stay, you must first change to a different status... one that would lead to a situation where you are allowed to stay. So, those who said that they knew someone who didn't return... are: 1) not talking about an E-2 visa; 2) deliberately lying; or 3) failing to mention that those people went through some other status first to get there!

Ian
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many people use E2's to move to the US as they have no other option.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

gtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it will all depend on your experience of living in the USA and whether or not your benchmark outlook is above or below your likely USA lifestyle.

It's a big place with very varied attitudes and geography.

I've noticed a general pattern with people going to Australia (not 100%) where if they move from the UK to Australia, they generally all love it. Those that have lived elsewhere, seem to be less enthusiastic about it.

I've got a mixed bunch of colleagues who have lived and worked in the USA (from the UK originally) the vast majority didn't stay.

Out of a sample of say 30 guys, about 5 have remained in the USA long term and secured green cards.

It's all about what you make of it at the end of the day. You'll only know once you've lived and worked there, if it's what you prefer
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

People who are born US Citizens will assume this because frankly they don't know the regulations of immigration. They might have a glancing knowledge that there are ways to emigrate here being married to a USC or having a work visa or seeking asylum but other than that there is no in-depth knowledge.

If the people assuming this are your fellow Brits, then the same goes as for US citizens. Let's be honest here. Why would either your countrymen or mine have in depth knowledge of immigration procedures unless they were personally involved and/or they have good friends, family or co-workers who emigrated.

Either tell them, "At that point that is not an option for us. We anticipate returning in two years." Or simply, "Let's see what the future holds."