Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

E2 Visa Information For Starting A Business In Florida

E2 Visa Information For Starting A Business In Florida

Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

dylan&helen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving To America (don't Know Where To Start)

I am very serious about moving to the US, and would love to know how anyone has got on with their move.

I would love to know the right answers.

I plan to sell my house, both our cars, money in the bank and everything we own to pocket around £200,000 ($325,000 approx)

I would like to look at maybe buying a business around the Tampa area. (I have always worked for myself, but I don't think it would be an ideal way to start in US)

As a family we have had our holidays in America for the last 5 years, and have spent around 4 months in total there. In December we are coming to Florida for 5 weeks to holiday and to look around - viewing houses and businesses just to get a feel for things.

is there any advice anyone can give me on which way to start the ball rolling. I can't decide which part to start on first, do I sell up? look for the ideal business first? apply for a visa first or just set off with my bags packed?

don't want to sound rude, but did an accountant check out the business you bought? (is this the way things are done over there)

thank you

Dylan, Helen & Oliver

(by the way I am 30 y/o my wife is 24 and my son is 3)
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E2 Visa Information For Starting A Business In Florida

No - there is literally no way you can convert from a E Visa to a GC.

If you arrive on an E Visa - you are stuck with it.
And there is no way around that - and you are not in any sense any closer to being a legal immigrant.

~Sean

Originally posted by reallykool
that actually sounds right. there is probably no provision from converting from e2 to gc. however, the h1 visa is also for people who are here to work and the minute they get laid off, they're supposed to go back. there must be some means of filling for a gc while on
an e2 visa. i'm sure people have done it.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SeanH
No - there is literally no way you can convert from a E Visa to a GC.

If you arrive on an E Visa - you are stuck with it.
And there is no way around that - and you are not in any sense any closer to being a legal immigrant.

~Sean
Surely if your business grows to where you have $1,000,000 of equity and employ ten Americans then you could use that to apply for an "investor" green card?

Also, don't underestimate the value of being "on the ground" in the US. If you have skills that may qualify you for an H1/H2 visa then you are much more likely to be able to attract the attention of an employer if you are already here on an E visa. Or, if your spouse wants to study then they could work themselves into a positon where they are eligible for a visa in their own right, enabling you to gain residency rights through them. Or, ..... the possibilities are, I'm sure, numerous.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 29th 2003 at 1:36 am.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Not really sure on that one - but the Investor Visa does stipulate an investment of over a million on a new commercial enterprise.

How literally they take the NEW bit - as opposed to an investment that has been ongoing on a non- immigrant visa is not for me to say - as I do not really know.

But this being the BCIS - I am sure it never as easy as it seems

I take your point - as per being on the ground

~Sean

Originally posted by Pulaski
Surely if your business grows to where you have $1,000,000 of equity and employ ten Americans then you could use that to apply for an "investor" green card?

Also, don't underestimate the value of being "on the ground" in the US. If you have skills that may qualify you for an H1/H2 visa then you are much more likely to be able to attract the attention of an employer if you are already here on an E visa. Or, if your spouse wants to study then they could work themselves into a positon where they are eligible for a visa in their own right, enabling you to gain residency rights through them.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Not really sure how getting a H1 or H2 Visa ( whilst on a E Visa ) will get you any closer to being a legal migrant.

H Visas are not immigrant visas - as far as I am aware.
I stand to be corrected of course

~Sean

Originally posted by Pulaski

Also, don't underestimate the value of being "on the ground" in the US. If you have skills that may qualify you for an H1/H2 visa then you are much more likely to be able to attract the attention of an employer if you are already here on an E visa. Or, if your spouse wants to study then they could work themselves into a positon where they are eligible for a visa in their own right, enabling you to gain residency rights through them. Or, ..... the possibilities are, I'm sure, numerous.