Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

E2 Visa Application about to Commence

E2 Visa Application about to Commence

Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Barcholder will become famous soon enough
Default Re: E2 Visa Application about to Commence

Following some excellent feedback and suggestions from you guys, I have decided to carry this thread on to provide an ongoing update on the launch and operation of the business.

I'll effectively use it as a journal entry on the steps I'm taking to make the business a success. It should hopefully prove to be a useful tool for others doing the same thing, as they can learn from my successes and failures.

I will also discuss some of the other non business related issues of being out here, family, etc. I hope to make it an interesting read.

I will keep you continually posted
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Barcholder
Following some excellent feedback and suggestions from you guys, I have decided to carry this thread on to provide an ongoing update on the launch and operation of the business.

I'll effectively use it as a journal entry on the steps I'm taking to make the business a success. It should hopefully prove to be a useful tool for others doing the same thing, as they can learn from my successes and failures.

I will also discuss some of the other non business related issues of being out here, family, etc. I hope to make it an interesting read.

I will keep you continually posted
Good stuff! Have you thought of starting a blog?
Old Aug 20th 2011, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

I guess a blog would be a good idea. However, I'm not too sure how to go about marketing it. Any ideas?
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:43 am
Just Joined

OberonK is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess a blog would be a good idea. However, I'm not too sure how to go about marketing it. Any ideas?
How do you mean, market it? If you mean monetise it then advertising, adsense etc are ways to make some money through it. Getting it out there would be things ike a link in your sig on forums, telling people about it, putting it on FB, twitter etc. And of course good content so people searching for info on what you're writing about will find it!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't mean monetize it, but you have actually helped to answer the question for me. It's a great idea, and I could use it as a live case study for a business launch. You never know, it may develop a huge following.

Thanks again. I'm out in Atlanta at the moment getting things set up. Boy is it hot out here. It's something I'll have to get used to.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't mean monetize it, but you have actually helped to answer the question for me. It's a great idea, and I could use it as a live case study for a business launch. You never know, it may develop a huge following.

Thanks again. I'm out in Atlanta at the moment getting things set up. Boy is it hot out here. It's something I'll have to get used to.
What is the site?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
What is the site?
Www.urecruitme.com
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

raasay is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you come across these issues:

a. That your share of the investment has to be over 50%, i.e. your company cannot have loans of more than 50% of the value of the company?

b. That when making the above assessment any properties are valued at cost less deprecation, thus not taking account of any appreciation in value during the preceding life of the business.

I guess from the nature of your application these would not have applied, but another reader might have come across them?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:43 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

My situation is further complicated by the fact that one of my main businesses is an online Sports Betting Hedge Fund
Not that it matters now but that's illegal in the US so yeah, I wouldn't have brought it up!

Clearly you're running a legit business and from the sounds of it you could have gone EB-5 if you'd wanted to so I would have been surprised if they'd turned you down for E-2.

One caveat I'm sure you're aware of but I've known people on E-2 and the usual problem comes when the kid(s) grow up as they have no legal status. In your case it sounds as though you don't want to stick around and you could get EB-5 anyway but I thought I'd mention it.

Last edited by Steve_; Aug 26th 2011 at 12:48 am.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
Not that it matters now but that's illegal in the US so yeah, I wouldn't have brought it up!

Clearly you're running a legit business and from the sounds of it you could have gone EB-5 if you'd wanted to so I would have been surprised if they'd turned you down for E-2.

One caveat I'm sure you're aware of but I've known people on E-2 and the usual problem comes when the kid(s) grow up as they have no legal status. In your case it sounds as though you don't want to stick around and you could get EB-5 anyway but I thought I'd mention it.
Thanks for your comments, and you are of course correct on all counts. I only really considered the E2 route as my primary motivation was not to move to the US, but rather, to launch my business over there. If i felt the business won't be successful there, I wouldn't have sought the Visa.

I have not really given much thought to my daughter potentially timing out at 21, as she is only 6 and it's such a long time away. I can see that this would be far more relevant for people with teenage kids. Now that could be a serious issue.

Right now, i'm just focusing on getting through the next 2 years and earning a renewal of the visa through the proven success of the business.

I've just returned from Atlanta, where I sorted out an apartment, office, phone, personal bank accounts etc. Very productive.

I officially move into my new place on the 12th of September. That's only 2 weeks away. It's all happening so quickly. I'm not looking forward to leaving my wife and daughter for the next 6 months, I can tell you.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:09 am
Just Joined

OberonK is an unknown quantity at this point

Poor thing, I think I'd struggle. You still have the wonders of Skype, and of course they can visit but it's not the same. Will you be together for Xmas at least?
Old Aug 30th 2011, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Skype really will be a lifesaver. It's a wonder how people coped in years gone by, before all this technology was available.

I'll be back in December and will stay until the first week in January. I'm already looking forward to it, and I haven't even left yet.

Just under 2 weeks to go now. I still can't believe it's come round so quickly.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It's a wonder how people coped in years gone by, before all this technology was available.
We coped just fine. There were no online forms, there was no such thing as email notification, no text messages and, perhaps most importantly, there was no such thing as instant gratification. We did just fine... because I believe we had more patience than those who are going through the process these days.

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It was also a lot quicker.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It was also a lot quicker.
That may be true - but there was no information available at the time to compare... so it didn't make any difference! The process, then like now, took as long as it took.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.