Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

E2 Visa Application about to Commence

E2 Visa Application about to Commence

Old May 11th 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 Visa Application about to Commence

Originally Posted by Barcholder
The key driver around the decision to go with an LLC structure were from a tax planning perspective. We had a Tax Accountant from New York on conference call, and he was adamant that LLC structure was the way to go, in order to avoid Double Taxation of Corporate and Personal Taxes.
I've been researching this lately, hence the question. It seemed to me that it depended on two main factors: where you incorporate (which State) and how much you turn over. My scrappy calculations worked out that it would be better as an S-Corp in X state with Y turnover, but better as an LLC in Z state with W turnover.

I hate taxes, not necessarily for having to pay them, but working out the damn things! I've said this before, but if the UK taxman can't work out what I owe on PAYE with a bit of self assessment, then how the hell am I supposed to know?!
Old May 11th 2011, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Barcholder will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I've been researching this lately, hence the question. It seemed to me that it depended on two main factors: where you incorporate (which State) and how much you turn over. My scrappy calculations worked out that it would be better as an S-Corp in X state with Y turnover, but better as an LLC in Z state with W turnover.

I hate taxes, not necessarily for having to pay them, but working out the damn things! I've said this before, but if the UK taxman can't work out what I owe on PAYE with a bit of self assessment, then how the hell am I supposed to know?!
Good points - i'm incorporated in Georgia, which has personal income taxes of around 6%, in addition to federal taxes. Turnover wise, i'm projecting to exceed $1m per annum within 2 years, all going to plan.
Old May 17th 2011, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

I have finally got together all the information required for the application form. My attorney will be reviewing the file this afternoon to confirm that all is in order, then will, hopefully, send the application off to the US Embassy for processing.

I had a long chat with him on Friday and he is of the opinion that my case is very strong. He feels that the unusual nature of my application will actually work in my favour, as the assessor will find the case interesting. I really hope he is right. In any event, I will probably find out my fate 3 months from now, which is how long it takes to process the cases.

In the meantime, I will continue with my planning for the launch of the business in Atlanta. Regardless of whether the application is approved or not, I still intend to go ahead with the launch, though it will obviously be significantly more challenging than would otherwise be the case.

It would mean I can only use the Visa Waiver to enter the country, and cannot officially work for the business. Never the less, I'm confident I will still be able to establish commercial viability, and can always re-apply at a later date.

Christ - I'm allowing negativity to enter my head. I must stay positive.

I'll keep you posted.
Old May 20th 2011, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Finally - my Visa Application was submitted to the US Embassy this afternoon. It has been quite an ordeal getting all the information together, and has taken far longer than anticipated. But, it's now gone off, and my attorney reckons I should hear back from the Embassy within 2 months to confirm my interview date.

I'll keep you posted on feedback.
Old May 21st 2011, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!
Old May 21st 2011, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Good luck!
Absolutely, keep us updated, never seen one quite like this.
Old May 22nd 2011, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

GeoffM, Boiler

Many thanks. I'll be sure to keep you posted on how things go. My attorney seems pretty confident it will be fine, but I'm not counting my chickens.
Old May 27th 2011, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

I have received confirmation from the US Embassy that my application has been received, and payment of the application fee (£390) has been taken.

It's now a waiting game to see whether they request any additional information from me, or whether they proceed straight to the Interview stage. I'm told to expect up to a 2 month wait before hearing back from them.

All very exciting - if all goes well, I'm planning on moving to Atlanta in September. The wife and daughter will be joining me a couple of months later, allowing me time to get things sorted out, such as housing, schooling etc.

More soon
Old Aug 9th 2011, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

After a long and excruciating wait for feedback from the US Embassy, I was told by my Solicitor this morning that they are finally ready to see me. I have requested an interview date as soon as possible, and am hoping to get a date set for next week.

It has taken just shy of 3 months to hear back from them, as my application was submitted on the 20th of May. Apparently, it's good news that they did not request any additional information, which (according to the attorney) means that they are pretty happy with the state of the application.

I'm getting very excited now - it's been over 3 years since I first started planning to move to the USA, and I feel like my goal is in sight. Of course, then battle after that would be making my business a success.

Wish me luck
Old Aug 9th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow, fingers crossed!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

It's been confirmed.....interview is booked for Friday morning. I'm really nervous. It feels like a really big moment in my life, as, if I'm successful, I'll pretty much be off within 3 weeks.

I'll be leaving wife and kid here, and they won't be joining me until March next year. Hopefully enoug time to get everything set up before they turn up.

I guess life is all about putting yourself out there and chasing your dreams. After all, how boring would it be if you played safe the whole time.

I hope to be able to update you with good news on Friday. If not, I'll be devastated.

More soon
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'll be leaving wife and kid here, and they won't be joining me until March next year. Hopefully enoug time to get everything set up before they turn up.
You're not the first to do that and you won't be the last. I'll be doing exactly the same. It won't be easy - but then I'll be single again for a couple of months!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I guess life is all about putting yourself out there and chasing your dreams. After all, how boring would it be if you played safe the whole time.
Agreed. http://www.bartleby.com/119/1.html.

Ian
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

I have just returned from my interview at the US Embassy.

I was granted a 2 year E2 visa. I'm absolutely over the moon. This has been a very difficult and challenging process, and given the unusual nature of my application, I was always a little anxious.

However, I have finally done it. A big thank you to all the people on here who were so supportive and informative throughout.

As soon as I get my passport back, i'll be booking my flight out to commence the business as soon as possible.

This is not a plug, but please take a look at my website, www.urecruitme.com. I would be very grateful for your feedback.

Once again, a big thanks to all.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

I have just returned from my interview at the US Embassy.

I was granted a 2 year E2 visa. I'm absolutely over the moon. This has been a very difficult and challenging process, and given the unusual nature of my application, I was always a little anxious.

However, I have finally done it. A big thank you to all the people on here who were so supportive and informative throughout.

As soon as I get my passport back, i'll be booking my flight out to commence the business as soon as possible.

This is not a plug, but please take a look at my website, www.urecruitme.com. I would be very grateful for your feedback.

Once again, a big thanks to all.
Congrats! A pretty complex process to be sure. What type of questions were asked of you at the Embassy? I am sure it will be of interest to those considering applying for an E2 themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.