Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

E-Visas Lead times? & US Medical costs?

Wikiposts

E-Visas Lead times? & US Medical costs?

Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

bbb1969 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: E-Visas Lead times? & US Medical costs?

Originally Posted by Ray
Can only be two reasons..
Both username and password are case sensitive
or your computer security is set too high

Regarding time delays.. there was a massive back up ..they have cleared a lot ..we has seven go thru in Aug .. but nothing so far this month
There is only one person that checks them at the embassy ..our Meg ..
if she is on vacation or sick it comes to a grinding halt ..

Far fetched ..hardly ...
so what your saying is any thing submitted in August, lets say approx 6 weeks back will be looked at in the near future, so they are taking 8 weeks approx, as for the person being on holiday, they must have a couple of other clerks, surly!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:02 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
Krizzy, my husband is also in Telecoms and is a test, integration and acceptance engineer.

I'll agree, the streets are not paved with gold. Life in the US is what you make it. There is no point comparing it to back home, and truthfully if it was so shite why do we all move there?

That said, we will only live in the US as long as my husband is working and getting paid in US$. His current salary affords us a good lifestyle, but if that comes to an end, there is no way we could live comfortably in California.

We intend to retire to Australia. We will have Medicare paid for by the government, private health insurance is not that expensive, and the pension we receive from the US will certainly go further in Oz that it will in California. Hell, it wouldn't even pay the rent in California.

Vicky

We came here for work..........the company hubby worked for was going under in the UK.......so we had to move because there was no Telcoms work for miles...........someone he knew had move to the Cape in MA........and phoned up and asked if hubby would like a job in the USA....we had been looking at Canada......we had ruled out moving to the US because we never thought we could get a visa.......my husband does not have a degree.....but after looking at this job we found out that he'd had enough years in test as a Sr to get in.......I'd wanted to move to the USA years before when my kids were younger....let them see what it was like to live in a different country for a while.......but give up when they got older ....if not for the lack of work where we lived in England.........I would never have moved.........

After being out of work in both countries now.........its a 100% easier to deal with a job loss in the UK.......I'm sure its easiers to deal with an illlness there too.....we've just been lucky enough not to find that one out yet.....
would I go back to the UK.........not until I've lived in a few different places here..and not until my grandson was older.........but I don't want to retire in the USA if I can help it.......

Last edited by krizzy; Oct 7th 2005 at 1:06 am.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Krizzy, my husband was a contractor at O2 for 18 months, then they let him go with 1 days notice. We were lucky in that my husband had previously worked for his current employer in the US, so when they heard that O2 had let him go, they called him up and offered him a position. It's such a tricky industry, DH has been lucky that he knows enough people that when he gets wind that things are going bad, he has been able to find another position without too much trouble. So what visas are you on in the US?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:18 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bbb1969
so what your saying is any thing submitted in August, lets say approx 6 weeks back will be looked at in the near future, so they are taking 8 weeks approx, as for the person being on holiday, they must have a couple of other clerks, surly!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry I should have said seven went thru Aug/sept

Picking a few at random
Appication march 04 2005
VISA APPROVED 15th August

Application 8th Oct 2004
additional info -6th Jan 2005
Refused 16th March

Application 24th Nov04
additonal info.. 4th March
APPROVED 30 APRIL 05

Application 20 Dec 2004.
Re-submitted further info 17 June 2005
APPROVED 7 SEPT 05

Application 29th December 2004
Kicked Back end of March
Resubmiited - kicked back again beginning of May
Resubmitted - 15th June
Still waiting

and then the amazing
application 1 sept 05
Approved 15 Sept 05

The Staff is Meg the Lawyer and one assistant it seems ..
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:39 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ray
I already told him the answer on the first page of this posting ..
You did indeed but you know how deaf people get on forums sometimes. Selectively deaf that it.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:39 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Krizzy, my husband was a contractor at O2 for 18 months, then they let him go with 1 days notice. We were lucky in that my husband had previously worked for his current employer in the US, so when they heard that O2 had let him go, they called him up and offered him a position. It's such a tricky industry, DH has been lucky that he knows enough people that when he gets wind that things are going bad, he has been able to find another position without too much trouble. So what visas are you on in the US?

We have a greencard.....lucky enough my hubby was only out of work 5 days in the USA....after a buy back from Lucent........they took him straight back on.......but they were the scarest few days of my life............money seems to melt away..........he was still being paid for the first few months......so we got the house ready to sell.........went down to FL got a new home that we would own outright........and enough money after the sell of the Cape one to live on for 5 years with no work..........we were not the only people where we have a home in FL doing the same thing.........
On the way home..hubby got a call asking if he wanted to come back........so we ended up with two homes......and the lay off money..........they also put hubbys start date back....so if he was laid off again..he would get his full lay off money again.........not just from when he was retaken on.........
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:40 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

All part of the contracting game and why contractors were on the whole paid 3 to 4 times what permanent staff were.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Ray

Are these timeframes for E visas at the moment? If so, just wondering why they are taking so long compared to our month in Australia. We did have a strong appliation prepared by lawyers and the company has a certificate issed by the London Embassy.

Reminds me not to bitch next time I wait more than a week.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:53 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Ray

Are these timeframes for E visas at the moment? If so, just wondering why they are taking so long compared to our month in Australia. We did have a strong appliation prepared by lawyers and the company has a certificate issed by the London Embassy.

Reminds me not to bitch next time I wait more than a week.
Basically because there are a hell of a lot of E-2 application in the London embassy and very few in the Australian embassy plus of course the goal post move with increasing regularity ..and the current processor is very fussy ..compared to previous incumbents .. a year ago most E-2 issued were for 5 years ...now most are just 2 years ..
Your type of E-2 is slightly different from the majority although its being used a bit more lately because of the limited number of H1 avalable ..
and its a awful lot cheaper for the company to obtain..
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, we have no probelms agreeing it's part of being a contractor, being pissed on at the last moment.

However what pisses me off is the permies who start bitching and want your contractor pay packet but at the same time are not prepared to give up the safety net that goes with being a permie i.e. sick leave, holiday pay, shares. pension plans, profit sharing, share purchase plan.

Our attitude is to earn as a contractor and live like a permie, because you never know when the gravy boat is going to sink.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Yeah, we have no probelms agreeing it's part of being a contractor, being pissed on at the last moment.

However what pisses me off is the permies who start bitching and want your contractor pay packet but at the same time are not prepared to give up the safety net that goes with being a permie i.e. sick leave, holiday pay, shares. pension plans, profit sharing, share purchase plan.

Our attitude is to earn as a contractor and live like a permie, because you never know when the gravy boat is going to sink.

Which is about the best way to do it.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray our first E2 was issued out of London in 2002 for 12 months. The second was in 2003 and they gave us 24 months. This time around they gave my husband 5 years and me 4 years. They issued in Melbourne, but the company paid $2,000 to issue it in Australia, rather than making us go to London. Maybe ours was easier because the Sponsor has a Reg. No. with the US Embassy which has already allowed their background to be certified. Sounds like a lot of fun (not). Also guess we had no delays because all the required paperwork had been put together.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Believe it or not we knew people who were contracting for 10yrs+ earning megabucks and when the party was over and they were all let go, many of them had nothing to their name. Had spent it all on lavish rental apts., flash cars, impressing women taking them all around the world. They thought nothing of paying 10,000 quid for a stereo. Dinner was always eaten out at the most expensive establishments.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:07 am
Ray

Ray our first E2 was issued out of London in 2002 for 12 months. The second was in 2003 and they gave us 24 months. This time around they gave my husband 5 years and me 4 years. They issued in Melbourne, but the company paid $2,000 to issue it in Australia, rather than making us go to London. Maybe ours was easier because the Sponsor has a Reg. No. with the US Embassy which has already allowed their background to be certified. Sounds like a lot of fun (not). Also guess we had no delays because all the required paperwork had been put together.
Yup!! they are quite different in requirements..I cannot figure out why you got 4 and he got 5 though ..
In fact you don't really need one ...you could come as the acompanying spouse ..unless you work for the company as well...
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:07 am
Account Closed

Believe it or not we knew people who were contracting for 10yrs+ earning megabucks and when the party was over and they were all let go, many of them had nothing to their name. Had spent it all on lavish rental apts., flash cars, impressing women taking them all around the world. They thought nothing of paying 10,000 quid for a stereo. Dinner was always eaten out at the most expensive establishments.
I do believe it. People live right up to their means and beyond most of the time. Then wonder why theres so many ads for credit card debt etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.