Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DVR - Best thing since sliced bread :)

DVR - Best thing since sliced bread :)

Old Mar 1st 2005, 7:50 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default DVR - Best thing since sliced bread :)

DVR - PVR - Personal Video Recorder or Digital Vieo Recorder

Just seeing out there who's got one of these so they can skip commercials. In our house in the USA, we just don't watch commercials anymore

Does anyone in the UK have one and do they work just as well over there.

In the USA here, I have 2 Replay TV's (like TIVO but better). We set the thing to record automatically our favourite programs. The 2 boxes talk to each other our our home network and we can watch in the basement what been recording in the living room and vice-versa.

What I love the most is watching American Idol about 20mins after it's started (about 8:20). When a commerical comes on, we skip the 3-4 mins of commercials in seconds. By the time it's 9pm and Idol is finishing, we are running almost live. I could NEVER watch IDOL with commercials.

Is anyne else as smitten as I over PVR's / DVR's - We were early adoptors and had ours for nearly 3 years - my wife thinks it's the best "gadget" I ever bought

By the way, what was the best thing BEFORE sliced bread

Last edited by franc111s; Mar 1st 2005 at 7:53 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:10 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVR - Best thing since sliced bread :)

Sorry to disagree with you, but I hate sliced bread.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Got Tivo and love it - season pass and suggestions are awesome!

Had Sky+ in the UK which is essentially the same thing and put Tivo out of action in the UK.

Know what you mean about commercials too!

Now - about that sliced bread....
Old Mar 1st 2005, 9:27 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

I love my tivo, ahhhh endless hours of Law and Order........however, when we move to SC I shall probably sell it, and get the local cable dvr. why? because we have high def, and it can not record high def, plus I can not record any channel above 100 which is a killer, as fox sports is like 127, and bbc usa is above 100.

i know the knew dvrs for high def are out now, albeit like $1000, but ill consider them soon as they drop in price.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 11:13 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
I love my tivo, ahhhh endless hours of Law and Order........however, when we move to SC I shall probably sell it, and get the local cable dvr. why? because we have high def, and it can not record high def, plus I can not record any channel above 100 which is a killer, as fox sports is like 127, and bbc usa is above 100.

i know the knew dvrs for high def are out now, albeit like $1000, but ill consider them soon as they drop in price.
We have been using Tivo for the past few years. Better than sliced bread but nit as good as s ex.
We have just changed to Comcast digital DVR. Hell it is cheaper than Tivo. Plus it has a 120 Gb hard drive. It says it's High Def capable, but we don't have HD so wouldn't know what it's like.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot watch TV without my DVR...

I'll never forget when my parents visited... whilst watching a film my mother missed a good bit... the look on her face when I rewound it was priceless.... granted.. the 10 films a day she recorded once she knew about it was NOT so good
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 4:59 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I have two TiVos and both can record over channel 100 with no problems. Are you using the infrared to change the channel on your cable box? If so, TiVo simply issues the change channel command -- it does not act as a tuner. If you do not have a cable box, then you'd need to ask for advice from TiVo, but usually those high channel numbers are digital channels and require a cable converting box.

It's hard to beat the local cable DVR because they bundle both the digital converter box AND the DVR into a single unit. To rent a converter box on its own is $10 a month (required if you want to watch cable on a non-digital TV); you can get a DVR for $15 a month.

On the pro side, TiVo has an option where you can access your TiVo from the Internet/Web and add programmes to record. You can also hook it into your home network and access picture and music files from a Mac or PC, thus turning any television that's TiVo equipped into a jukebox. You can buy a TiVo unit from a third-party vendor who can equip it with a monstrously big hard drive so you can save loads more programming than a box that you can't tamper with.

Having said all that, I feel silly cos TiVo's been run out by Sky+ and the original poster was enquiring about the UK. However I usually trust anything I can own outright over something I have to rent, and wanted to defend TiVo
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 2:07 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Cheers bunny for the tip...........

however, my friend who is a whizz with gadgets told me the reason that I can not record channels over 100........I may ask him again to remind me what the reason was and to clarify it............I dont have a memory so I continually ask things over and over...........I may ask him again to remind me what the reason was and to clari................

btw, shouldnt we rabbits do our kind a favour and mate..........simply for the good of the species of course ;o)

hehe
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 2:10 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: DVR - Best thing since sliced bread :)

Don't have DVR or pre-sliced bread but my life is pretty content!

I slice my own bread, thank you....

NC Penguin
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 2:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

So what was the best thing before sliced bread?
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:13 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
So what was the best thing before sliced bread?
The wheel, but it doesn't taste as good as bread...

NC Penguin
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:04 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVR - Best thing since sliced bread :) OT

btw, shouldnt we rabbits do our kind a favour and mate..........simply for the good of the species of course ;o)
Depends on whether we are able to cross-breed! I am a bunny because I am an Echo & The Bunnymen fan and we fans are all groovy groovy people. I am a snowbunny because I am a fan of Snow Patrol's and friends with the singular Gary Lightbody (yep, that is his real name). My life's milestones include album releases and gig dates. I am NOT a skibunny = airhead! snowbunny is EATB speak for s-nobody. Now, what's your deal with wax? You a surf bum? As in Sex Wax -- the best wax for your stick? (true product)
Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:49 pm
Wabbit Lord

Default Re: DVR - Best thing since sliced bread :) OT

my name derivation is simpler than that...................when i was a kid, i had yakky ears, that got waxy.........and my dad and bro thought my front teeth were larger than average.......hence waxwabbit! alliteration as a bonus