Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DVD's UK USA?

DVD's UK USA?

Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVD's UK USA?

Originally Posted by Bob
no market in the US, canada shares the same region code...and people here don't bother buy abroad even though there are plenty of cheaper movies, especially boxset abroad...only reason regionless started getting a market here was because the Buffy boxsets were out in the UK much sooner than over here apparantly *l*

Same with West Wing - the UK DVDs were out a few months ahead of the US!! Not that anyone over here would realize!
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
A friend of mine has asked me to bring home the Lost series on DVD. Question is will the DVD's work on UK DVD players?
I'm in the UK at the moment. Lost is being screened at the moment. If this is a popular show, no doubt it will be released on DVD in the UK (Region 2) which might be more convenient for your friend unless he/she has a mulitregion DVD player or buy a cheap one that can be hacked.

My brother in the UK bought the latter type and hacked it to play all regions. I think he said he paid UK60.00 for the DVD player.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The Philips DVP-642 can be had for about 35-40 bucks now. It's region free and does NTSC-PAL and PAL-NTSC flawlessly. It will also play burned DIVX/XVID discs, MP3 discs, JPEGs and anything else you can think of. (if you're a fileswapper).
Try here for a variety of shops.
It takes about three seconds (literally) to make it region free:

Buy them the player, a few discs and you're done.
Wrong code for the 642, but the right idea
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...because they're bootlegs.
There not, there legit copies...just not the market over here for them, plus they aren't dubbed, but who watches dubbed movies anyway...if you want bootleg, you can get those over here for just as cheap...Any Akira Kurosawa by the Criterion Collection is around $40-60 over here, for the decent ones, same movie in Japan can be had for $5-10...
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'm in the UK at the moment. Lost is being screened at the moment. If this is a popular show, no doubt it will be released on DVD in the UK (Region 2) which might be more convenient for your friend unless he/she has a mulitregion DVD player or buy a cheap one that can be hacked.

My brother in the UK bought the latter type and hacked it to play all regions. I think he said he paid UK60.00 for the DVD player.
In the UK, can pick up a DVD player from HMV for £20 that's multi region, well a few weeks back at least...but Lost, first series is out on DVD over here, and the second probably won't be too long after the series finishes airing...
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:40 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Wrong code for the 642, but the right idea
worked fine on mine...
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

worked fine on mine...
7 8 9 OK 0 for the code, they changed the code after the first firmware update for anything with v531 firmware, basically the last firmware that had macro protection disabled, all the newer firmwares have it enabled and use the 789 code jobby
Old Nov 21st 2005, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
In the UK, can pick up a DVD player from HMV for £20 that's multi region, well a few weeks back at least...but Lost, first series is out on DVD over here, and the second probably won't be too long after the series finishes airing...

Its only the first half of S1 - and its twice as much as the full season over here in the US!!
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Big D
Its only the first half of S1 - and its twice as much as the full season over here in the US!!
ouch...oh well...all swings and roundabouts with dvd's though ain't it *l*