Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DVD's UK USA?

DVD's UK USA?

Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVD's UK USA?

Originally Posted by basementwaj
Most dvd players in the uk are multiregion.

Surely not out of the box?
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Surely not out of the box?
Yep it's true multi region DVD players are readily available in Uk and cheap too. That's why I couldn't understand why I couldn't find one in a store here in the U.S. My Sister and brother both have one and I frequently get them DVDs for Christmas etc.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:41 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamjar
Yep it's true multi region DVD players are readily available in Uk and cheap too. That's why I couldn't understand why I couldn't find one in a store here in the U.S. My Sister and brother both have one and I frequently get them DVDs for Christmas etc.
I got my sister a multi region DVD player from amazon.co.uk last Christmas - they had some cheap ones at about 30 quid.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:53 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I got my sister a multi region DVD player from amazon.co.uk last Christmas - they had some cheap ones at about 30 quid.

Fascinating! Just been for a look on amazon.co.uk. Think the differences are:
1/ There is no great demand here (except in the expat community) since there is little concept of the term "abroad".
2/ Stores don't advertise the codes (and most would have no idea or use for them anyway) so you have to Google it yourself.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure i would go as far as to say MOST are region free - until recently Richer Sounds were the only ones that sold them uncoded out of the box (not sure how they got around it) as it was illegal (still is i thought) Most can be uncoded (depending on make) and you can always use your PC - although it prevents changing the region after so many changes. Either way she should be able to get one - and it sounds like there are plenty around.

As already suggested get her a cheap Cyberhome 300 and send it back too - this one is dual voltage so all she has to do is cut the plug off and put a UK on the back. PAL NTSC is not an issue in the UK anymore as any recent TV will take an NTSC feed with no problem. ( And this DVD is cheaper that the Lost box set!!)
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

1/ There is no great demand here (except in the expat community) since there is little concept of the term "abroad".
2/ Stores don't advertise the codes (and most would have no idea or use for them anyway) so you have to Google it yourself.

Exactly - why would Americans want to play UK discs? The advantage for those in the UK are the DVDs that come out earlier and the cost - there is no such benefit if you are not an ex-pat!!
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Notice how they are multi region CAPABLE!! They cant advertise them as multi region (legal issues) but they no doubt already have the code in!
Old Nov 20th 2005, 3:05 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Big D
Notice how they are multi region CAPABLE!! They cant advertise them as multi region (legal issues) but they no doubt already have the code in!

Going to amazon.co.uk, they actually link through to a page on their server with the info on how to change the code.
e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...ture/-/575547/

Presumably the lawyers okayed it?

Couldn't see amazon.com doing it because a) nobody would be interested and b) the lawyers would crap themselves.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Going to amazon.co.uk, they actually link through to a page on their server with the info on how to change the code.

Couldn't see amazon.com doing it because a) nobody would be interested and b) the lawyers would crap themselves.
Must be OK - that how Richer SOunds used to get round it i think - they gave you the code and instructions but in fact they had already done it for you!!! Course the law might have changed on this now if they are selling them on the high street etc!
Old Nov 20th 2005, 4:03 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your help
Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamjar
no market in the US, canada shares the same region code...and people here don't bother buy abroad even though there are plenty of cheaper movies, especially boxset abroad...only reason regionless started getting a market here was because the Buffy boxsets were out in the UK much sooner than over here apparantly *l*
Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...and you can always use your PC - although it prevents changing the region after so many changes. Either way she should be able to get one - and it sounds like there are plenty around.
there's a software hack, well a program that removes the OS region counter and the DVD drive region code from locking, its' in that other dvd thread...
Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Exactly - why would Americans want to play UK discs? The advantage for those in the UK are the DVDs that come out earlier and the cost - there is no such benefit if you are not an ex-pat!!
I don't know...I've seen plenty of movies abroad a lot cheaper than in the US, any one into anime or Japanese/Chinese flicks will be able to get them for $5 from Japan as opposed to $50 here, and there's plenty of movie/tv boxsets cheaper, some cracking deals out in the far east, and Oz, even with shipping, it's cheaper...
Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:22 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

The Philips DVP-642 can be had for about 35-40 bucks now. It's region free and does NTSC-PAL and PAL-NTSC flawlessly. It will also play burned DIVX/XVID discs, MP3 discs, JPEGs and anything else you can think of. (if you're a fileswapper).
Try here for a variety of shops.
It takes about three seconds (literally) to make it region free:
-Open the tray.
-On the remote press '0000'.
- Press '0' to make it region free or whichever zone you want to set it to.
- The newly selected region will appear on the top left corner of the screen.
- Close the tray.
Buy them the player, a few discs and you're done.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:24 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't know...I've seen plenty of movies abroad a lot cheaper than in the US, any one into anime or Japanese/Chinese flicks will be able to get them for $5 from Japan as opposed to $50 here, and there's plenty of movie/tv boxsets cheaper, some cracking deals out in the far east, and Oz, even with shipping, it's cheaper...
...because they're bootlegs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.