Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

dvdoverseas............?

dvdoverseas............?

Old Jan 13th 2004, 2:30 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default dvdoverseas............?

Does this company modify models to play UK dvds, or are they already models that will play Uk dvds on an American tv?

I ask coz I see the same model I like (JVC XV-N50BK) for cheaper elsewhere, and they are multi-everything-format, but I can not see anything specifying if it would play Uk dvds over here?

any idea?
Old Jan 13th 2004, 2:35 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Its ok, Ive found out from another site, they are extra modified

the base un-modified model could play pal dvds on US tv, but not guaranteed

Old Jan 13th 2004, 4:48 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

All you need to do is to go to a store like Radio Shack or K Mart and buy one of the ordinary DVD players for around $45 and up....but *before* you do that, go to this website and click on the 'hacks':

http://www.dvdrhelp.com

There is an extensive list of the DVD players (including the various model numbers) which can be hacked very easily by pressing a few buttons and the site's messageboard tells you how to do it. You can then turn your DVD player into a multi-region one....

Apparently it's not feasible to do it with the big names like Sony or Panasonic, but many other DVD players can be hacked. You might be able to look back through the archives here as this has been discussed before.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 13th 2004, 7:25 pm
Wabbit Lord

By using those hacks, would it matter what type of NTSC tv one had?
Old Jan 13th 2004, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

You shouldn't have a problem waxwabbit.
I did a hack on a cheap ($45) Cyberhome DVD player from Radio Shack and hooked it up to a regular US TV and it works like a dream with UK dvds...no problems at all.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 7:35 pm
Wabbit Lord

Ok, cheers u 2

I thought Id read before that u had to be careful trying to run Uk dvds off a US tv with dvd players......

In that case, what is the difference between a *modified* model on dvdoverseas.com, and the same model albeit $$$ cheaper elsewhere? Are overseas guaranteeing it will work 100% and the ones in the store u take a chance with?

Old Jan 13th 2004, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

The only difference I can see is that they are more expensive and you don't have to "hack" them to turn the region code off. I was quite skeptical about the whole "hack" thing when I first heard about it, it sounded too easy. But when I found a hackable player for $45 at Radio Shack I figured it was worth the risk. The hack was so easy...just a few key presses on the remote and that was it. Now I can watch all my UK dvd's ! Yippie!
If you do go for a hackable player from the list on the dvdhelp website though, choose carefully, as some are a lot easier to hack than others.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question

Which Cyberhome DVD player do you have RChappo?

We bought the compact-sized CH-DVD 300 from Radio Shack last July (approx $60 at the time as it had just arrived on the market) but I know it has gone down in price since.

Ours has a 'progressive scan' feature which is why it was a few dollars more than some of the other DVD players....but to this day I still don't know what 'progressive scan' is supposed to be!

Some guy on the hack site said that this (CH-300) player also has dual voltage and works on the 220v as well as 110v. He bought one to send to relatives in Europe and hacked it before he sent it. I wonder if it worked? I'm sort of tempted to buy one for my sister back in the UK as $45 is sooo cheap. I've noticed that amazon.co.uk sells lots of Region 1 DVDs now - and my sister wanted Mr.Bean for her autistic son but amazingly it's been deleted from the UK market but not for North America....!!
Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:40 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an XBOX, get it "modified".
Cost me about 100 bux and it will play ANY DVD i throw at it...even on an NTSC TV it plays my PAL discs perfectly.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Englishmum
Which Cyberhome DVD player do you have RChappo?

We bought the compact-sized CH-DVD 300 from Radio Shack last July (approx $60 at the time as it had just arrived on the market) but I know it has gone down in price since.

Ours has a 'progressive scan' feature which is why it was a few dollars more than some of the other DVD players....but to this day I still don't know what 'progressive scan' is supposed to be!
Yes we got the same model Englishmum...great little player for the price. Can't go wrong. I've no idea what progressive scan is either but it must be a good thing....
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:01 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I was told progressive scan means the machine responds instantly when you push play etc, rather than finish loading or whatever it's doing before deciding whether to play sometime soon. Could be a load of bollox I was fed though
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:51 pm
Wabbit Lord

i was under the impression prog scan better benefitted high definition teles, but I aint 100%........
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Man the cyberhome people must be raking it in. We have two of them - one of them was just $39 from Sams Club, I know Walmart and Target sell them as well.

We have also bought them for friends(introducing all the people hubby works with to British Comedy) - they are ntsc/pal compatible and according to the blurb on the box work on voltages between 100-230V.

Not a problem with them yet and so I am not at all motivated to buy a much more expensive model when this does everything I need.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 7:00 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dvdoverseas............?

My son is travelling here on a K4 in a couple of months time. Will he be able to use his Playstation 2 here or will we have to have an adapter or transformer? Or not at all?

Thanks

Maggie
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

tweakr is an unknown quantity at this point

Buying a multi-region DVD player will not always fix the NTSC/PAL divide. You'll need to buy an additional video standards converter, I dunno how much those cost. Or, you could get a DVD player that has an internal PAL>NTSC converter. The Xbox does an internal standards conversion, I remember using a PAL Xbox to watch Japanese NTSC DVDs and they played back in PAL format.

As for progressive scan: normal TVs (interlaced TVs) take 2 passes of the electron gun inside the set to draw a complete picture - that's why if you look closely at writing on a screen, it's much more jumpy than it is on a computer monitor (as computer monitors use progressive scan). Progressive scan simply gets rid of the jumping and allows for a higher definition, as it draws the entire picture in only one pass.

Last edited by tweakr; Jan 14th 2004 at 10:06 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.