Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DVD regions??

DVD regions??

Old May 4th 2004, 12:55 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default DVD regions??

hi

im in the process of filing my visa app and am going thru lists of what stuff to take what to sell etc etc, and just wondered - do they have multi region dvd players in usa, as it would be nice to take my dvd collection with me, thanks!!

Ant
Old May 4th 2004, 1:02 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVD regions??

Originally posted by antjen
hi

im in the process of filing my visa app and am going thru lists of what stuff to take what to sell etc etc, and just wondered - do they have multi region dvd players in usa, as it would be nice to take my dvd collection with me, thanks!!

Ant
Yes. Cheap too. Radio Shack model seems to be the favorite of folks on the board.

If you do a search for dvd and region you'll find the dozens of posts on the subject, many of which were posted within the past 24 hrs.
Old May 4th 2004, 1:04 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default thanks!

thanks for the quick reply - that saves me replacing my collection

Ant
Old May 4th 2004, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

And on that note, I'd like to mention that the Philips DVD727 player I bought from Frys for about $80 did a wonderful job of playing my Peter Kay region 2 PAL disk on my beaten-up old NTSC telly the other night!
Old May 4th 2004, 3:29 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Scorchio
And on that note, I'd like to mention that the Philips DVD727 player I bought from Frys for about $80 did a wonderful job of playing my Peter Kay region 2 PAL disk on my beaten-up old NTSC telly the other night!

LOL you got ripped off mate! The hackable Cybervision 300 is now only $34.99 at BestBuy (with free shipping too) and is dual voltage so can be used in the UK too.
Old May 4th 2004, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

CyberHome from Frys/Best Buy...

it does Multiregion, HD output, Dolby decoder on board and optical/coaxial output...

and its bloomin cheap... I was shocked.

Though... one word of warning.. at fry's electronics... check EVERYWHERE on the box for a sticker saying something along the lines of "I don't work"... I had 3 of this unit... all been returned previously as not working.. and they just put it back on the shelves.
Old May 4th 2004, 4:10 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Englishmum
LOL you got ripped off mate! The hackable Cybervision 300 is now only $34.99 at BestBuy (with free shipping too) and is dual voltage so can be used in the UK too.

Englishmummy, can you confirm that BestBuy have a dual voltage DVD player. is it the same as cyberhome?
Old May 4th 2004, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Englishmum

damn it.. you beat me to it... well.. I guess I should read all the post before replying in future.
Old May 4th 2004, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Gross50
Englishmummy, can you confirm that BestBuy have a dual voltage DVD player. is it the same as cyberhome?

thats the one I have matey. Takes about 2mins of Googling to find the required remote hack for Multi-Region and the dual voltage thing involves cutting off the plug and replacing it with a dual US/UK one... eh voila

I must admit tho.. I haven't actually done this.. I'm not planning on going home any time soon.
Old May 4th 2004, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVD regions??

Originally posted by antjen
hi

Ant

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewto...er=asc&start=0
Old May 4th 2004, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Bah, I say, to your Cyberhome suggestions. There are many mixed reviews of these players - seems like a lot of people are having reliability issues (video skipping, various disks refusing to play, total drive failure, etc). It was best summed up as "You get what you pay for!"
Old May 4th 2004, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ahh... but fry's is a 2mintue walk from me... so I got what I payed for... after return number 4... now it works fine and yes... some DVD's simply won't play... but if you understand how they work... its easy to get past the problem...

when I have a little more money I will be buying a better one.. but for now.. its fine
Old May 4th 2004, 6:28 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gross50

Yes, that's the one! Silly me, I wrote down the wrong name for it and it's definitely Cyberhome.

Ours is just an additional player as we have a Panasonic multi-system DVD player which was purchased when we lived in Singapore; we have one in the basement but our son takes over the basement to play his X-box with his friends, one in the living room and another hacked home-theatre DVD player in our bedroom - plus a portable DVD player for travelling with.

I think I mentioned somewhere that my husband has some sort of mania for collecting electronic gadgets....! (and he complains that I have more shoes than I need.... ).

The hack for the Cyberhome and loads of other DVD players is here:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php

(Haven't had a problem with our Cyberhome at all).
Old May 5th 2004, 2:16 am
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

i bought some cyberhomes back in uk

mine was ok

one i bought for my aunt was fine

my nans one went wrong though