Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DVD Recorder / Player - UK DVD format

DVD Recorder / Player - UK DVD format

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

BHAFC14 is on a distinguished road
Default DVD Recorder / Player - UK DVD format

Does anybody know of a DVD recorder you can buy in the States which will also play UK DVDs in PAL format. I have tried the main electronic stores in NYC (PC Richard , Circuit City etc.) and they all say you there are no DVD recorders available which will play UK DVDs - you would need to buy a separate multi region player. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVD Recorder / Player - UK DVD format

Originally Posted by BHAFC14
Does anybody know of a DVD recorder you can buy in the States which will also play UK DVDs in PAL format. I have tried the main electronic stores in NYC (PC Richard , Circuit City etc.) and they all say you there are no DVD recorders available which will play UK DVDs - you would need to buy a separate multi region player. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Almost all will. Check @ http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

BTW, Circuit City et al. is not the place to ask technical questions. By all means shoot the breeze with the underpaid staff. But don't make any decisions on what they might or might not tell you.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:35 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Try this website

http://www.220-electronics.com/

I bought a dvd player from there for about $150 that is code free region free and it works pretty good. I can throw any type of dvd in and it will play.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Almost all will. Check @ http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

BTW, Circuit City et al. is not the place to ask technical questions. By all means shoot the breeze with the underpaid staff. But don't make any decisions on what they might or might not tell you.

Thanks fatbrit
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help everyone - and the quick response
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Region coding is only part of the problem.

The point is that UK DVDs are PAL and most US DVD players (and to complicate things further, the TVs also) are NTSC playback only. PAL and NTSC are different video standards and just because your stuff plays back one doesn't mean it will play back the other. In Europe pretty much all kit will play either PAL or NTSC stuff but the same cannot be said of US kit.

You will need either a DVD player AND a TV that are PAL-friendly, or a DVD player that can convert from PAL to NTSC on the fly (unlikely).

Not being in the US yet, there may be other forum members who are more knowledgeable than me on the availability of suitable playback equipment in the US.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:25 pm

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36

You will need either a DVD player AND a TV that are PAL-friendly, or a DVD player that can convert from PAL to NTSC on the fly (unlikely).
That's exactly what the dvd player that I bought does. It has an 18MB PAL to NTSC converter in it.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

The point is that UK DVDs are PAL and most US DVD players (and to complicate things further, the TVs also) are NTSC playback only. PAL and NTSC are different video standards and just because your stuff plays back one doesn't mean it will play back the other. In Europe pretty much all kit will play either PAL or NTSC stuff but the same cannot be said of US kit.

Not being in the US yet, there may be other forum members who are more knowledgeable than me on the availability of suitable playback equipment in the US.
This isnt the issue you think it is - most can be hacked and work fine
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

$30 players from Walmart manage it! And if it doesn't work, take it back -- this is America!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough!

I'm glad it's that easy as I'll be bringing a lot of PAL material over with me.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:51 pm

Just read through some of those hacks and some of them are a right pain in the arse.

Last edited by sime303; Jun 22nd 2008 at 4:24 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:54 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by sime303
Just read through some of those hacks and they like a right pain in the arse.
Like 2 minutes with the RC?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:56 pm

Like 2 minutes with the RC?
Not all of them are, infact most aren't. If only they were that easy though.

Download this and burn this and then do this with the RC and at the end of it "oh you have to do this every time you turn it on". It's like getting immigration advice on BE.

Just spend the money and make life easier is always my option lol like you say hey it's America.

Last edited by sime303; Jun 22nd 2008 at 4:02 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:05 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by sime303
Not all of them are, infact most aren't. If only they were that easy though.

Download this and burn this and then do this with the RC and at the end of it "oh you have to do this every time you turn it on". It's like getting immigration advice on BE.

Just spend the money and make life easier is always my option lol like you say hey it's America.
Dunno why we are making this so complicated. Get a Philips DVP5982 and you can't go wrong. They sell 'em in Target, Worst Buy and CC. Hack takes 2 minutes. You'll find what the extra features do (DivX/USB) when you get bored of US telly -- i.e. approx a month after you arrive.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:10 pm

Dunno why we are making this so complicated. Get a Philips DVP5982 and you can't go wrong. They sell 'em in Target, Worst Buy and CC. Hack takes 2 minutes. You'll find what the extra features do (DivX/USB) when you get bored of US telly -- i.e. approx a month after you arrive.
Because I live in the middle of nowhere and I don't have those stores within 2 hours of me lol. I was bored of most US tv the minute I got off the plane. Why do you think I got a code free region free dvd player.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.