Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DVD compatibility

DVD compatibility

Old Apr 5th 2009, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Elz1582 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post DVD compatibility

we are going to move to america soon and we would like to know whether our UK DVD's will work on american DVD players/TV's
Old Apr 5th 2009, 7:05 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVD compatibility

Originally Posted by Elz1582 View Post
we are going to move to america soon and we would like to know whether our UK DVD's will work on american DVD players/TV's
If you use the search function there are lots of threads about this which will give you all sorts of info, but in summary:

- yes, bring them
- "Region-free" players are available albeit a little more expensive
- Cheaper players can be very easily "hacked" to play discs from UK/elsewhere - instructions are on the web, Google is your friend
Old Apr 5th 2009, 7:14 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elz1582 View Post
Yes, with a bit IF

If you can get a region free DVD player or you can buy a model that is easily hackable (search DVD region free hacks on google to get an idea).
Old Apr 5th 2009, 11:39 pm
Banned

fred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nice

The above are true but as i was pushed for space I converted mine to WMV files and play them on my laptop.
Works well for me as my wife loves watching soaps so I can still enjoy a movie and not get it in the ear for going to another room.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

I purchased a portable DVD player with multi region and NTSC/PAL output prior to leaving the UK. Shinco I think. It dealt with the kids on the plane and also worked so far on every TV i've tried in the US. Plus you can plug a USB drive into it and I converted a heap of DVD's to WMV's prior to leaving the UK as well. I think it will only handle up to 80 GB if I recall so I got a cheap one on Amazon as well as the DVD player.

That said so far I've only come across 1 DVD player that wouldn't play any of my Australian/UK dvd's. I'm in the process of getting a real big one in the next couple of weeks so I'll let you know what I find (haven't even looked yet).

Goat.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

This subject comes up every now and then.

When someone asked the question a couple of years back they were pointed to this link:

http://www.codefreedvd.com/

I bought one and it works great.*

The only issue is that we lost the remote a few weeks back so have to actually get up and press the play button when we want to watch a DVD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Note. CitySimon is in no way affiliated with the Code Free DVD company or website.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon View Post
The only issue is that we lost the remote a few weeks back so have to actually get up and press the play button when we want to watch a DVD.
If you have a cable box you may find you can program the remote to your DVD player. You just need to find the manufacturer code for it which is fairly easy, just search google for the manufacturer and dvd remote code.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:17 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

or you buy a cheapo generic $30 player like I did and get lucky

It plays all regions
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend a Philips player with Divx ability - dead easy to hack and can play back Brit TV which you can download.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:40 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hobbes79 View Post
I'd recommend a Philips player with Divx ability - dead easy to hack and can play back Brit TV which you can download.
Indeed. I'm about to pop out to WalMart to pick up a Philips Progressive Scan DVD Player w/ 1080i Upconversion, DVP3962/37 for $42.

There's a hack here and if it doesn't work with the two region 2 DVDs I chucked in our luggage, I'll have time to return it before the rest arrive.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79 View Post
I believe you need to be fairly careful with getting the well known DVD players brands... A lot of them have stopped allowing them to be hacked simply because it reduces revenue between the different regions.

It's like the VCR format being different between the US and Europe except it's based on the financial bottom line rather than just different technology.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:21 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon View Post
I believe you need to be fairly careful with getting the well known DVD players brands... A lot of them have stopped allowing them to be hacked simply because it reduces revenue between the different regions.

yup, Our other player/recorder (Samsung), has had the software hack removed
Its Region 1 only, and even then it can be really fussy on what it will play
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a cheap Phillips one and it was easy to hack - but then we bought a $30 Sony one on Saturday and can't find a code for it at all
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:18 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
Indeed. I'm about to pop out to WalMart to pick up a Philips Progressive Scan DVD Player w/ 1080i Upconversion, DVP3962/37 for $42.

There's a hack here and if it doesn't work with the two region 2 DVDs I chucked in our luggage, I'll have time to return it before the rest arrive.
Well, I can confirm that this one works, at least. Bought, installed and hacked - all in minutes. Tested it with MIB II (Region 2).

One thing - don't get the $30-odd HDMI cable displayed next to it. I just got one off ebay for under $4.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post

Thanks a million for this up-to-date info (and not just the usual 'search this site' answer!).

I just got one from Walmart for $39. They had about 10 of them left so easy to get - no to need to order it. It's very compact and easy to set up - it comes with standard leads that work fine. It has HDMI connectivety if that is what you are after.

Your 'hack link' wasn't done properly. This Hack off VideoHelp works a treat.

I can now play UK DVD's on it. Perfect!

A virutual beer is on it's way to you right now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.