Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Duvets and covers

Wikiposts

Duvets and covers

Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:57 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duvets and covers

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I was actually highlighting the covers/sheets etc, but well pointed out.
Hmm, how can they call something down if it isn't?
It seems american buyers don't know their down from feathers
Canadian sites are far more honest ...
Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:38 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I am just waiting for a regular to pop in and say
"Five Fu**ing pages on duvets! Anyone guess who?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:52 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I have done a search on duvets and can't find the answer to this question:

What kind of comforter do you buy to put in a duvet cover? Over here, they call a dovet cover a "duvet" so how do you figure out what an actual English-style duvet is? Do I just buy a standard white comforter?

I'm not going back to England for a while so I need to buy a duvet that uses covers here. I am sick of washing my comforter.
I just received a sale flyer in the mail for Bed, Bath & Beyond. They are advertising Laura Ashley Down Comforters for $99.99 any size. The description is as follows:

245 thread count, 100% cotton cover, white down fill.
OR
245 thread count, 100% cotton cover, microfiber fill.

This sounds like a pretty good deal to me, at least Laura Ashley is a good company (and British right?)
It also says shop online at bedbathandbeyond.com, I'm presuming that the same deal would be on the website although I haven't checked myself. Hope this is helpful!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I am just waiting for a regular to pop in and say
"Five Fu**ing pages on duvets! Anyone guess who?
Mmmmmmmmm now let me think. Ahh one name does come to mind.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Mmmmmmmmm now let me think. Ahh one name does come to mind.
R R R R....... oh what's that name I just forget. How could I forget

Wonder where he is tonight, he missed out on the Oprah thread.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

In Ikea's defence they do at least stick to 100% cotton covers, unlike all this cotton/polyester mix shite that everyone else seems to be flogging. My kids have Ikea covers with no buttons and thier duvets don't fall out the bottom.
Like I care.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
I just received a sale flyer in the mail for Bed, Bath & Beyond. They are advertising Laura Ashley Down Comforters for $99.99 any size. The description is as follows:

OR

This sounds like a pretty good deal to me, at least Laura Ashley is a good company (and British right?)
It also says shop online at bedbathandbeyond.com, I'm presuming that the same deal would be on the website although I haven't checked myself. Hope this is helpful!
so have I, I'm looking at it now. Yes it does seem a good deal, however from my very recent research I thought the fill count was also important (this I think is similar to the UK tog rating). The higher the fill count the better, now this doesn't state what the fill count is. I get confused with all of this too. I even got the girl from Linens and Things to talk me through it. Just to confuse even more, did you know that US Duvet covers come in different inch sizes, so you look for your bed sizing eg, Full, King, Queen etc. But then within each bed size the size of the cover differs greatly. The girl at Linens told me to beware of this, she said choose your comforter and then choose your duvet cover as some people like a cover that flaps around and others want their comforter to fit really snug......one more reason to buy in M&S me thinks!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by ladylisa
so have I, I'm looking at it now. Yes it does seem a good deal, however from my very recent research I thought the fill count was also important (this I think is similar to the UK tog rating). The higher the fill count the better, now this doesn't state what the fill count is. I get confused with all of this too. I even got the girl from Linens and Things to talk me through it. Just to confuse even more, did you know that US Duvet covers come in different inch sizes, so you look for your bed sizing eg, Full, King, Queen etc. But then within each bed size the size of the cover differs greatly. The girl at Linens told me to beware of this, she said choose your comforter and then choose your duvet cover as some people like a cover that flaps around and others want their comforter to fit really snug......one more reason to buy in M&S me thinks!
Yes you are right about the fill content, mine is a 450 fill, king size down comforter from TJ Maxx for the same price. Target also had the same at the same price on sale a few weeks ago. Still not as puffy has the UK ones though. Really should have waited and bought one in Toronto as we visit there quite often. Now those Canadians really know how to make down duvets. Make sure you get all down filled not feather and down, unless of course you go with man made fill.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 1:55 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by blaze

OR

I saw this yesterday and was thinking of getting it. I will check it out in the store.

After doing research on the web, I've realised comforters and duvet covers do indeed some in different sizes even for a queen bed. That is annoying.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 1:59 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I saw this yesterday and was thinking of getting it. I will check it out in the store.

After doing research on the web, I've realised comforters and duvet covers do indeed some in different sizes even for a queen bed. That is annoying.
Most important thing to check is the down/feather content
at least 80% down is what you want ...
Old Mar 17th 2006, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a king size and a queen size down comforters from www.overstock.com
a couple of years ago....they are lovely! $69.99 each
couldn't find duvet covers I liked so bought sheet sets I did like and co-ordinating flat sheets and made my own matching duvet covers very easy and quick, even made button-holes to keep the comforter inside!!...still never seen a duvet cover I like as much as the ones I made myself!...Sophia
p.s. the comforters were both 550 fill

Last edited by Sophia_S; Mar 17th 2006 at 3:24 am.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 3:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
I bought a king size and a queen size down comforters from www.overstock.com
a couple of years ago....they are lovely! $69.99 each
couldn't find duvet covers I liked so bought sheet sets I did like and co-ordinating flat sheets and made my own matching duvet covers very easy and quick, even made button-holes to keep the comforter inside!!...still never seen a duvet cover I like as much as the ones I made myself!...Sophia
I use velcro to close the bottom of the cover.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I use velcro to close the bottom of the cover.
did that one years ago and it kept getting scratchy...I'd never even tried making button holes before but I was SO pleased with the way they turned out!
Old Mar 17th 2006, 3:33 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
did that one years ago and it kept getting scratchy...)
For christ sake !!! you have the velcro at the feet end ..not at the head end ..
Old Mar 17th 2006, 3:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ray
For christ sake !!! you have the velcro at the feet end ..not at the head end ..
LOL and another being as its St Patties Day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.