Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Duvets and covers

Wikiposts

Duvets and covers

Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:15 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duvets and covers

Originally Posted by blaze
Not that this is going to help you but I made sure that before we moved back out to the USA after being back in Britain for 3 years, I went to M&S and bought a duvet and a couple of covers. a few years ago it was impossible to find duvet covers over here. I was tired of trying to clean a comforter the same as you. I bought a nice quality down one so it was expensive but should last a long time. Everytime I go home now I keep an eye out for covers that I like. Buying covers in the states for a British duvet is a nightmare because of the size differences. I love Ikea but have never bought bedding there so not sure of the quality, as someone else said though, you get what you pay for. Hopefully you can find something that you like without too much aggrevation!
I did get too high of a tog rating though so in the summer you bake, but it's great in the winter.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not that this is going to help you but I made sure that before we moved back out to the USA after being back in Britain for 3 years, I went to M&S and bought a duvet and a couple of covers. a few years ago it was impossible to find duvet covers over here. I was tired of trying to clean a comforter the same as you. I bought a nice quality down one so it was expensive but should last a long time. Everytime I go home now I keep an eye out for covers that I like. Buying covers in the states for a British duvet is a nightmare because of the size differences. I love Ikea but have never bought bedding there so not sure of the quality, as someone else said though, you get what you pay for. Hopefully you can find something that you like without too much aggrevation!
Its not that bad actually. When we first came here 10 yrs ago the only place I could find duvets and covers was Ikea. The quality was absolutely crap. The cover was made of a really old fashioned cotton, very thick and coarse and had to be ironed because it wrinkled so much. They are much more readily available now, or at least in NJ which is where the OP is from. The size difference is not that complicated really as I said before in a previous posting, UK king = US Queen, UK double = US full. We have a US king bed which bears no resemblance to a normal UK bed.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:23 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

I am looking at debenhams website and getting sad. They have a sale on duvets and they're so cheap compared to here!

I thought a UK king is the same as a US queen. If that is the case, shouldn't the sizes correspond?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I am looking at debenhams website and getting sad. They have a sale on duvets and they're so cheap compared to here!

I thought a UK king is the same as a US queen. If that is the case, shouldn't the sizes correspond?
a bed might be off a similar size but the duvets and covers aren't, I've found that here they seem to hang a least a couple of feet over the sides of the beds which at home they don't..
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
a bed might be off a similar size but the duvets and covers aren't, I've found that here they seem to hang a least a couple of feet over the sides of the beds which at home they don't..
Sorry to disgree with you Woodsey but I would say mine only come down the side of the bed 6/8" or so. Maybe its a east coast/west coast thing. Hang on, now I come to think about it Cali. king beds aren't as wide but are longer than regular king sized beds, so that would account for it. Therefore, I suppose I agree with you, I think.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry to disgree with you Woodsey but I would say mine only come down the side of the bed 6/8" or so. Maybe its a east coast/west coast thing. Hang on, now I come to think about it Cali. king beds aren't as wide but are longer than regular king sized beds, so that would account for it. Therefore, I suppose I agree with you, I think.
agree with you about the cal. king thing but my son has a twin bed and his twin duvet and twin cover almost touch the floor on both sides and his bed is high with drawers underneath, must depend on the make I suppose....
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

agree with you about the cal. king thing but my son has a twin bed and his twin duvet and twin cover almost touch the floor on both sides and his bed is high with drawers underneath, must depend on the make I suppose....
I actually made my own twin covers out of flat sheets because the designs seem to be so limited and I wanted them to match the curtains sorry, drapes, etc. I think twins are slightly longer and wider than the UK single bed. Then of course there is the extra long twin beds!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:03 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I actually made my own twin covers out of flat sheets because the designs seem to be so limited and I wanted them to match the curtains sorry, drapes, etc. I!
Clever cow aint chere......
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ray
Clever cow aint chere......
Oh, you have no idea, there is no end to my talents.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Or I could just remain your fantasy......
Ray we will both remain your fantasy girls !!!! sweet dreams
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
ooh your one of those clever types, I only just know how to sew on buttons.
no just a couple of straight lines and some poppers !!!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:26 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I remember seeing one some years ago in House of Fraser back in the UK, it was 10,000 pounds for a standard double.. :scared:
For that price do they throw in the bald Geese as well?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:45 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Duvets and covers

Originally Posted by lolly
no just a couple of straight lines and some poppers !!!

Hey......are you a drug addict or something?

And I only thought it was gay men who used poppers?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Hey......are you a drug addict or something?

And I only thought it was gay men who used poppers?
Would love to be some days !!! a drug addict that is !!!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:49 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Comforters have 312-thread-count cotton sateen dobby-striped shells
Comforters are honeycombed with internal baffles to prevent the fill from shifting
Pillows have zip-off covers of 312-thread-count cotton sateen
Pillows are carefully quality controlled to ensure they are always exactly as soft or firm as you desire
Down Inserts are 95% feather and 5% down
quality is 95% down and 5% feather

I was actually highlighting the covers/sheets etc, but well pointed out.

Hmm, how can they call something down if it isn't?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.