Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Duvets and covers

Wikiposts

Duvets and covers

Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:56 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duvets and covers

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I have done a search on duvets and can't find the answer to this question:

What kind of comforter do you buy to put in a duvet cover? Over here, they call a dovet cover a "duvet" so how do you figure out what an actual English-style duvet is? Do I just buy a standard white comforter?

I'm not going back to England for a while so I need to buy a duvet that uses covers here. I am sick of washing my comforter.
The big stores like Sears etc sell them..
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:56 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

If you want quality, you'll have to fork out a couple of hundred at least.

They just call the inwards comforters too.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/styl...r_num=-1&RN=23
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, just read this. Mabye I won't try IKEA.
it depends on the quality you want, if you want a decent one that washes well and will last for years, try the link for roomandboard or garnethill I just gave, there's are excellent quality but will cost you more, if you go with Ikea I would also buy the cover from there as others don't fit too well, Ikea's covers never seem to have buttons on the bottom though so the duvet ends up falling out of the bottom of the cover..
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:59 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Didja see that silk goose down at BBB?

1299!!!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Didja see that silk goose down at BBB?

1299!!!
I remember seeing one some years ago in House of Fraser back in the UK, it was 10,000 pounds for a standard double.. :scared:
Old Mar 16th 2006, 5:01 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

If you want quality, you'll have to fork out a couple of hundred at least.

They just call the inwards comforters too.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/styl...r_num=-1&RN=23
They are very pricy indeed. Maybe I'll wash my comforter and wait until someone visits from the UK.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 5:02 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Ikea's covers never seem to have buttons on the bottom though so the duvet ends up falling out of the bottom of the cover..
surely that's not an issue if you sleep lying down like most normal people
Old Mar 16th 2006, 5:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by woodsey
I remember seeing one some years ago in House of Fraser back in the UK, it was 10,000 pounds for a standard double.. :scared:
:scared:
Old Mar 16th 2006, 5:13 am
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

The other stores that have both duvets and covers are Belk and Stein Mart, if you have either of those where you are.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 5:14 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
The big stores like Sears etc sell them..
And what rubbish they are ..the goose down filling is at minimum levels
they use the poor quality chinese down ..and have no rating system ...
Old Mar 16th 2006, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

:scared:
it was made from the feathers of a mystical goose like creature only seen on a wednesday when it was a full moon, its feathers were collected by cute little elves that live in trees in an enchanted forest..well thats what it said on its label..
Old Mar 16th 2006, 5:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same problem when we first came here. As already posted most of the large stores sell duvets. I have just bought a king size down duvet from TJ Maxx for $100, Target, Marshalls sell them too. One thing to note that an UK king size is queen size here and UK double is full size. There is no such thing as a tog rating in the US.

I found that the bigger problem was trying to get a decent cover. I went to Fortunoffs in Wayne for mine. The higher the thread count the softer the cotton, the higher the thread count the more expensive it is. I found with say 600/700 thread count they must be washed in cold water or they will shrink every time you wash them, they just get smaller and smaller. This will also occur if you try to tumble dry them even on low heat. Also the chemicals in the water ruin the fabric. My solution was to use a flat sheet between me and the duvet, so that I wash the sheet and not the duvet cover.

Pillows, now there's another problem. Different size pillows for different size beds.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 5:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I had the same problem when we first came here. As already posted most of the large stores sell duvets. I have just bought a king size down duvet from TJ Maxx for $100, Target, Marshalls sell them too. One thing to note that an UK king size is queen size here and UK double is full size. There is no such thing as a tog rating in the US.

I found that the bigger problem was trying to get a decent cover. I went to Fortunoffs in Wayne for mine. The higher the thread count the softer the cotton, the higher the thread count the more expensive it is. I found with say 600/700 thread count they must be washed in cold water or they will shrink every time you wash them, they just get smaller and smaller. This will also occur if you try to tumble dry them even on low heat. Also the chemicals in the water ruin the fabric. My solution was to use a flat sheet between me and the duvet, so that I wash the sheet and not the duvet cover.
Pillows, now there's another problem. Different size pillows for different size beds.
JeeZ!! I would commit suicide if I had to think about all that dross...
Old Mar 16th 2006, 5:20 am
Account Closed

When my mum is here she positively shudders at the linen selections in the stores. She says they're appalling - and she's an older lady... LOL
Old Mar 16th 2006, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

I have done a search on duvets and can't find the answer to this question:

What kind of comforter do you buy to put in a duvet cover? Over here, they call a dovet cover a "duvet" so how do you figure out what an actual English-style duvet is? Do I just buy a standard white comforter?

I'm not going back to England for a while so I need to buy a duvet that uses covers here. I am sick of washing my comforter.
I got feather and down ones from Wal-Mart - they are lovely
Buy 2 flat sheets and sew them together- for the covers.

Last edited by lolly; Mar 16th 2006 at 5:31 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.