Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dust may quell hurricanes

Dust may quell hurricanes

Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Default Dust may quell hurricanes

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science....ap/index.html

Dust storms swirling out of Africa's Sahara Desert may help reduce hurricane activity in the Atlantic Ocean, a new study suggests.

The findings aren't conclusive, but researchers led by Amato T. Evan of the University of Wisconsin-Madison found that years with more African dust had fewer tropical storms and years with less dust had more storms.

Well I certainly hope for MORE dust storms!!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dust may quell hurricanes

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
I am sure the people of Mali disagree.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Dust may quell hurricanes

Originally Posted by Manc
Well if it comes to me suffering from hurricanes or the people of Mali suffering dust storms, then sorry but they have to suffer.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
Who? There are actual people living in Mali?
Old Oct 11th 2006, 6:14 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

After last year's hurricane season and all the grim predictions that this year could/would be worse; and all the networks going out and hiring entire teams of Hurricane experts, commentators and reporters....methinks they are just looking for anything possible to blame for this year's lack of death and destruction- that they had been hoping for.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by ironporer
After last year's hurricane season and all the grim predictions that this year could/would be worse; and all the networks going out and hiring entire teams of Hurricane experts, commentators and reporters....methinks they are just looking for anything possible to blame for this year's lack of death and destruction- that they had been hoping for.
Watch me 'yawn' when I hear such predictions. Been living here for nearly 10 years. Hear it EVERY single year, from April/May onwards.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

carolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Dust may quell hurricanes

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science....ap/index.html

Dust storms swirling out of Africa's Sahara Desert may help reduce hurricane activity in the Atlantic Ocean, a new study suggests.

The findings aren't conclusive, but researchers led by Amato T. Evan of the University of Wisconsin-Madison found that years with more African dust had fewer tropical storms and years with less dust had more storms.

I suggest we send them some Giant Fans, about 100 should do it lol.