British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dumb Tax question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dumb-tax-question-342953/)

jcapulet Dec 15th 2005 3:00 pm

Dumb Tax question

Ok, I know this is a dumb question, and I think the answer is yes but I'm asking anyway.

Hy hubby is a permanent resident and he worked a short term job where the total income was under $100 (revolving door job, but that's another story).

All income is claimed in taxes, no matter how small right? Can I still use the joint filing form? Just want to confirm the best route based on this.

Thank ya :)

CarlM Dec 15th 2005 3:27 pm

Re: Dumb Tax question

Originally Posted by jcapulet
Ok, I know this is a dumb question, and I think the answer is yes but I'm asking anyway.

Hy hubby is a permanent resident and he worked a short term job where the total income was under $100 (revolving door job, but that's another story).

All income is claimed in taxes, no matter how small right? Can I still use the joint filing form? Just want to confirm the best route based on this.

What a dumb question! LOL

And yes, joint 1040 form!

Patrick Dec 15th 2005 3:28 pm

Joint File even if he made zero, you get more back!

And remember, there is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people

Celsius Dec 15th 2005 3:28 pm

Aren't you an American chick? Don't you know about all this?

He's saying he only earned less than $100, eh? I say he kept the rest of the pay for himself.... ;)

I think you should have a serious discussion with your hubby...

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 15th 2005 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius

He's saying he only earned less than $100, eh? I say he kept the rest of the pay for himself.... ;)

I told my wife I made $12.76 last year...she didnt beleive me :(

Philgr Dec 15th 2005 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

Couldn't she believe anyone would pay you that much? ;)

jcapulet Dec 15th 2005 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick
Joint File even if he made zero, you get more back!

Yes, that's what we've been doing (before he got his PR). I just have this feeling the restaurant won't send him his w2 forms...apparently they hire/replace a new person every few days for the front host position...sounds like a lot of forms they have to mail out and I don't trust them...they seem a bit shifty.

And remember, there is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people
Erm..thanks, I think? :confused: :p

jcapulet Dec 15th 2005 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius

Yea I'm American but it's his only income so far since we've been married, so I just wanted to check about it :D

jcapulet Dec 15th 2005 7:18 pm

She probably thinks the same thing as Philgr, that no one would pay you that much....:D :D

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 15th 2005 7:29 pm

She probably thinks the same thing as Philgr, that no one would pay you that much....:D :D

I feel slightly picked upon. And this being the season of goodwill to all men etc. :(

gruffbrown Dec 15th 2005 7:31 pm

Didn't he get dizzy?

jcapulet Dec 15th 2005 7:41 pm

I feel slightly picked upon. And this being the season of goodwill to all men etc. :(

Hey I am just observing :D I wish you tons and tons of goodwill!

But did you really make that much last year??

Leslie Dec 15th 2005 7:45 pm

Yea I'm American but it's his only income so far since we've been married, so I just wanted to check about it :D

You don't have to claim/file if you made under $500 in any given year. If they send the W2 then claim it..... if not you're still not breaking any laws. It will (literally) only make a difference of pennies on your return.

jcapulet Dec 15th 2005 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Didn't he get dizzy?

Did I say revolving door? I mean evolving door....:D

jcapulet Dec 15th 2005 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66
You don't have to claim/file if you made under $500 in any given year. If they send the W2 then claim it..... if not you're still not breaking any laws. It will (literally) only make a difference of pennies on your return.

Thanks Leslie! :)