Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dublin pre clearance vs Chicago

Dublin pre clearance vs Chicago

Old Nov 3rd 2016, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Amy288 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dublin pre clearance vs Chicago

I'm just about to book my flights for December to enter on my f1 visa. It's slightly cheaper for me to fly via Dublin than from Heathrow (I'm 20 mins from East Midlands so it's an hour and £19 to Dublin)

I just wanted to check that I will be fine going through pre-clearance at Dublin with an F1 or is it better to go through immigration in Chicago?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 11:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dublin pre clearance vs Chicago

Is Chicago your destination? ..... I wouldn't want the stress of the time it might take to process your paperwork in Dublin.

<snip> Didn't read the question properly.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 3rd 2016 at 11:29 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ideally I'd fly into Nashville but it's about £400 cheaper to drive down to Kentucky from Chicago instead, it's a drive I've done a few times so happy to do it. I would probably stay in Dublin the night before if I went that route. Would be nice to land at Chicago grab my bags and go rather than waiting there tbh! I just wasn't sure if it's only for Vwp or if I'll be ok to use it for an f1.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 11:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amy288
Ideally I'd fly into Nashville but it's about £400 cheaper to drive down to Kentucky from Chicago instead, it's a drive I've done a few times so happy to do it. I would probably stay in Dublin the night before if I went that route. Would be nice to land at Chicago grab my bags and go rather than waiting there tbh! I just wasn't sure if it's only for Vwp or if I'll be ok to use it for an f1.
Oops, my mistake, I misread. You should be fine in Dublin with "only" an F-1.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Oops, my mistake, I misread. You should be fine in Dublin with "only" an F-1.
lol it's ok. Thank you, just worked out flying from Dublin saves a good £350 so think it's going to be the way to go!
Old Nov 6th 2016, 12:15 am
Just Joined

cardB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

pre clearance not so strict and quicker
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by cardB123
Pre clearance not so strict .....
And your basis for saying that is ..... ?
Old Nov 6th 2016, 2:21 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Given there are probably fewer flights out of Dublin to USA than flights into most US international airports, I think quicker is fair. Not less strict though. They have more time to vet travelers.

I only did it once, and there was hardly anyone around at immigration/customs.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cardB123
pre clearance not so strict and quicker
And your basis for saying that is ..... ?
I think this means security pre-clearance, which would be quicker.

Unfortunately, the rest of us are talking about CBP, which is not necessarily any quicker!
Old Nov 6th 2016, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

In terms of it being 'stricter' I would hope as I have a visa issued and will have all of the same paperwork with me I wouldn't have any problems no matter where I go through immigration! I never thought about it in terms of if they will be strict/ not strict I assumed they all follow the same rule book
Old Nov 6th 2016, 8:15 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just about to book my flights for December to enter on my f1 visa. It's slightly cheaper for me to fly via Dublin than from Heathrow (I'm 20 mins from East Midlands so it's an hour and £19 to Dublin)

I just wanted to check that I will be fine going through pre-clearance at Dublin with an F1 or is it better to go through immigration in Chicago?

Thanks in advance
Another thought. Reading between the lines are you considering purchasing a separate ticket, possibly with a different airline, to Dublin? If so then you're likely not protected in case of delays. My parents always used to do this, telling me "there's never been a problem!" whenever I warned them.

And then there was a problem. That got expensive...
Old Nov 6th 2016, 9:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Another thought. Reading between the lines are you considering purchasing a separate ticket, possibly with a different airline, to Dublin? If so then you're likely not protected in case of delays. My parents always used to do this, telling me "there's never been a problem!" whenever I warned them.

And then there was a problem. That got expensive...
She did say she'd probably arrive in Dublin the night before her US flight. Hopefully that would cover any delays.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Would definitely be the night before just in case! After flying to Nashville last year and getting rerouted through dc with an overnight stay thrown in (I've still not forgiven American Airlines for that!) I'm very glad my flights are always on the same ticket! However to get over to Dublin it will have to be a separate ticket which is why If I do it will be the night before!
Old Nov 6th 2016, 11:24 am

Would definitely be the night before just in case! ....
Which will take a substantial bite out of your £350 savings on the flight to Chicago.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 2:39 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
She did say she'd probably arrive in Dublin the night before her US flight. Hopefully that would cover any delays.
Ah - missed that tidbit in the second post.

Which will take a substantial bite out of your £350 savings on the flight to Chicago.
I stayed at one of the Dublin airport hotels on Friday night. There are a few, and I picked Raddison Blu although they were all fairly similar price-wise at around a hundred Euros.