Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dublin (Ireland) US Pre-clearance

Dublin (Ireland) US Pre-clearance

Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:07 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dublin (Ireland) US Pre-clearance

I just got back from a trip to UK via Dublin, and thought I would share my observations, and maybe enhance the info that is on the forum already.

The US pre clearance area is in its own area in T2, on the branch of gates in the 400's.
I was on a flight to JFK at 15.30 and was early. I went down at noon and it was empty. The first desk person told me to come back later (even though at this time the departure board said "proceed to US pre-clearance") as there was minimal cafes etc after passing through. That flight was also the last one to US of the day, so she said it would not be busy later. As far as I could tell there are only half a dozen or so US flights a day anyway, unless they are much earlier.
Also there was a notice that several Boston & Chicago flights do not use the pre-clearance. Don't know why, or if that is normal, or just this day.

So I went through around 14.00 - No queues. Filled in Customs declaration, had passport, Green card and fingerprints scanned, minimal questioning from the CBP agent. Then there was another security checkpoint, to xray hand luggage again - no metal detector or body scan though.
I did not have any checked bags - not sure how that would have worked with customs part of things...

On arrival at JFK T5, it was just a regular domestic gate.

However, on the flight out of JFK last week, the plane was late, and they said it was because the departure from Dublin had been delayed, and they had to dock at JFK international arrivals, then taxi the plane to T5. This implies that the delay in Dublin meant the Pre clearance had not occurred.
HTH
Rich
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dublin (Ireland) US Pre-clearance

Originally Posted by RICH
I just got back from a trip to UK via Dublin, and thought I would share my observations, and maybe enhance the info that is on the forum already.

The US pre clearance area is in its own area in T2, on the branch of gates in the 400's.
I was on a flight to JFK at 15.30 and was early. I went down at noon and it was empty. The first desk person told me to come back later (even though at this time the departure board said "proceed to US pre-clearance") as there was minimal cafes etc after passing through. That flight was also the last one to US of the day, so she said it would not be busy later. As far as I could tell there are only half a dozen or so US flights a day anyway, unless they are much earlier.
Also there was a notice that several Boston & Chicago flights do not use the pre-clearance. Don't know why, or if that is normal, or just this day.

So I went through around 14.00 - No queues. Filled in Customs declaration, had passport, Green card and fingerprints scanned, minimal questioning from the CBP agent. Then there was another security checkpoint, to xray hand luggage again - no metal detector or body scan though.
I did not have any checked bags - not sure how that would have worked with customs part of things...

On arrival at JFK T5, it was just a regular domestic gate.

However, on the flight out of JFK last week, the plane was late, and they said it was because the departure from Dublin had been delayed, and they had to dock at JFK international arrivals, then taxi the plane to T5. This implies that the delay in Dublin meant the Pre clearance had not occurred.
HTH
Rich
Interesting to know! We flew to Dublin a few years back and flew to and from Boston. At that time we had the pre-clearance. This time we are flying to and from Chicago. We're coming back mid-August, so will be interested to see if they have the pre-clearance back up and working then.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I've been through Dublin quite a bit. Never had an issue with US pre-clearance there. For those who don't know how it works, here is a video:

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-...clearance.aspx
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I've been through Dublin quite a bit. Never had an issue with US pre-clearance there. For those who don't know how it works, here is a video:

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-...clearance.aspx
I suppose my "issue" with it, is whether or not it is available. I had the feeling it is a bit hit and miss. But certainly convenient, compared to lining up with dozens of other flights arriving at JFK.

Incidentally, passport control/immigration at Dublin T1, after flying from Bristol, took forever.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I suppose my "issue" with it, is whether or not it is available. I had the feeling it is a bit hit and miss. But certainly convenient, compared to lining up with dozens of other flights arriving at JFK.

Incidentally, passport control/immigration at Dublin T1, after flying from Bristol, took forever.
Maybe you got them on a bad day. I've never seen it be unavailable.