British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dubin Airport American Airlines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dubin-airport-american-airlines-635836/)

sillyestaquestions Oct 15th 2009 10:16 am

Dubin Airport American Airlines

Does American Airlines fly direct to NYC from Dublin I know they dont from manchester not in the winter time anyway.

AdobePinon Oct 15th 2009 10:24 am

Re: Dubin Airport American Airlines

Have you heard of Google?

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

sillyestaquestions Oct 15th 2009 10:30 am

No never heard of them! are they an airline :rofl: :D

I looked at it briefly it didnt really say anything just redirects to AA website. I collect the AA miles u see I dont want to fly aer lingus or delta directly to NYC they arent in the one world alliance i wont be able to redeem the airmiles later on. It doesnt say whether u clear U.S immigration at Dublin it doesnt even mentioned immigration on the website at all.

meauxna Oct 15th 2009 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by sillyestaquestions (Post 8018310)
No never heard of them! are they an airline :rofl: :D

I looked at it briefly it didnt really say anything just redirects to AA website. I collect the AA miles u see I dont want to fly aer lingus or delta directly to NYC they arent in the one world alliance i wont be able to redeem the airmiles later on. It doesnt say whether u clear U.S immigration at Dublin it doesnt even mentioned immigration on the website at all.

How does where you clear Immigration affect your AA miles?

(Call AA or look on their website. Or the Dublin airport's. I recall that AA only flies certain flights/days from Dublin).

Please keep your immigration questions in the Immigration forum.

Family_Guy Oct 15th 2009 4:14 pm

First be aware a direct flight is not the same as a non stop flight.

AA does not have a non stop flight from DUB - JFK on AA metal.

Certain flights clear US immigration in DUB providing they go from the correct pier. It the pier changes then no pre clearance, you clear customs at the USA POE. So even though you may be expecting DUB inspection it can and does change due to operational requirements.

You can gateway at ORD from DUB or you can fly to the UK and gateway there.

meauxna Oct 15th 2009 4:45 pm

Travelers will always clear Customs once in the US; some airports have the Immigration PreFlight Inspection. (pet peeve. :) )

Family_Guy Oct 15th 2009 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8019236)
Travelers will always clear Customs once in the US; some airports have the Immigration PreFlight Inspection. (pet peeve. :) )

Let me bring a little ray of sunshine into your life in that case and remove a peeve for you. :eek:

Up to thirty US Immigration officials and their families have begun relocating to Counties Clare and Limerick ahead of this month’s opening of pre-clearance facilities for passengers flying to the US from Shannon Airport. The service is slated to begin on July 29th in Shannon and November 2010 in Dublin.

This is good news for travelers, as they will go through all required Customs and Immigration clearances in Shannon before boarding their flight home. When they arrive in the US, they can pick up their luggage and leave the airport straighaway OR have their bags forwarded to connecting flights WITHOUT having to pick up luggage, clear customs and re-check bags.

In addition to making things easier for US-bound travelers, it is hoped that the service will make the airport in the West of Ireland an attractive gateway between the US and Europe.

One more reason for me to say “YES” to plans for a trip to Ireland next month… no extra lines when I arrive in Chicago.

More info at http://www.dunphypr.com/?p=1897

meauxna Oct 15th 2009 5:26 pm

Thank you, I was just shown this by a friend. :)
Hard to keep up, isn't it?!

PS: I'm still pretty sure this person is concerned with clearing Immigration, not Customs)

Family_Guy Oct 15th 2009 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8019361)
Thank you, I was just shown this by a friend. :)
Hard to keep up, isn't it?!

PS: I'm still pretty sure this person is concerned with clearing Immigration, not Customs)

Keeping up is indeed not easy and as it is Ireland we are dealing with there is no guarantee they will ever keep to the timescale anyway :eek:

Wandering off topic, which seems not be unusual in these parts.

I haven't taken a flight through Dublin in years so have no clue what it is like at present. In the past however I did find it was significantly quicker to arrive at a domestic gate in the USA and just do customs.

I understand that the new BA all business class service from LCY to JFK will refuel at SNN so the passengers can pre clear immigration and Customs so Ireland might well attract a lot of new business as a USA hub because of this facility.

Jan Alaska Oct 16th 2009 3:12 am

I flew from Michigan to Shannon via Chicago and Dublin a couple of years ago, the flight from Shannon disembarked at Dublin to clear immigration then continued. When we got to Chicago all we had to do was to collect our bags and clear customs.

Not sure if AA flies direct to Dublin though, I flew Aer Lingus.

sillyestaquestions Oct 16th 2009 8:25 am

What I am concerned with is the connecting flight in chicago to NYC given that if I want to fly american airlines i cant get direct flight to JFK if am not prepared to go to heathrow. The AA flights to chicago from MAN and DUB both leave within 15 minutes of each other. I live right on the north west coast might as well go to Dublin as go to Manchester for what a train will cost u can get the seacat ferry and the hotel will probably be the same price.

And clearing immigration does affect air miles u wouldnt get the ones for the return trip and the chicago ny flights if u dont get through immigration would you?

ian-mstm Oct 16th 2009 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by sillyestaquestions (Post 8020863)
And clearing immigration does affect air miles u wouldnt get the ones for the return trip and the chicago ny flights if u dont get through immigration would you?

You must not fly much. You get airmiles for flying... not for clearing immigration. If you pay for the trip and go... you get airmiles. Even if you were turned away at the border, you still get the airmiles. Why? Because you flew! Yes... it's as simple as that! :)

Ian

sillyestaquestions Oct 16th 2009 1:44 pm

I only fly twice a year at the most. :)

I really didn't know that, I thought u had to complete the trip to get your account credited with the miles. And besides if u don't get into the states a refund might be in order so again no air miles. Though a refund would depend upon the circumstances of the refusal wouldn't it. Its not the air miles am worried about its the connecting flight in Chicago there is only like a 50 mile difference from Manchester and Dublin they arrive within minutes of each other I think but if u did get detained at immigration u might miss connecting flight. I don't like to connect fly but I cant really fly their directly its too much hassle. Its a poor state of affairs that u cant get a flight to New York without going to Heathrow even Delta have stopped the Manchester flight now.

Family_Guy Oct 16th 2009 2:54 pm

Continental still have a flight to Newark from MAN. If you only fly twice a year I would not get excited about a frequent flyer programme and concentrate more on convenience and which airline serves your choice of primary route. Waiting 5 years for one free flight that will probably cost more in miles by then so be pushed further back if the programme/airline is even still around doesnt make a great deal of sense to me. But as ever each to their own.

Going to DUB by sea is probably more expensive than you think. Hotels are not cheap and you have to get from the docks to the airport which is not well served by direct public transport links. There is also the need to change currency for Euros. If that doesnt put you off bear in mind the service often gets suspended due to weather which could have very expensive consequences unless you are on a very expensive fully refundable ticket. :unsure:

JAJ Oct 16th 2009 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by sillyestaquestions (Post 8021453)
I only fly twice a year at the most. :)

I really didn't know that, I thought u had to complete the trip to get your account credited with the miles. And besides if u don't get into the states a refund might be in order so again no air miles. Though a refund would depend upon the circumstances of the refusal wouldn't it. Its not the air miles am worried about its the connecting flight in Chicago there is only like a 50 mile difference from Manchester and Dublin they arrive within minutes of each other I think but if u did get detained at immigration u might miss connecting flight. I don't like to connect fly but I cant really fly their directly its too much hassle. Its a poor state of affairs that u cant get a flight to New York without going to Heathrow even Delta have stopped the Manchester flight now.

Then don't go to Heathrow! Have you thought about flying via Amsterdam, Frankfurt or Copenhagen?