Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dubai to Florida, but where should we go?

Dubai to Florida, but where should we go?

Old Jan 29th 2019, 7:48 am
KT4
Just Joined

KT4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai to Florida, but where should we go?

We are a British family who have been living in Dubai for 5 years and before that Spain for 5 years, we will now be moving to Florida. My husband got his visa approved this week (L1) so the move is imminent. I am feeling really nervous and overwhelmed and was just looking for advice and tips if any of you have them. I have a 15 year old and 3 little ones under 6 so need schools for them and hoping to find a nice place to raise them all for the next few years. We are lucky in that we have some choice in where we live as my husband has offices and business in a few areas. I like the look of Ponte Vedra and Winter park when researching areas but not sure what they would be like in reality. We like the beach and I would prefer to be near shops and restaurants (why I liked Winter park) and not cut off but ultimately it’s schools that are important. We have always lived in tourists areas so we are used to busy areas with lots to do. If any of you have the time to offer any recommendations, advice or tips I would really appreciate it.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai to Florida, but where should we go?

Budget?
Salary etc?
Old Jan 29th 2019, 3:05 pm
KT4
Just Joined

We will look to spend around 3-4K a month and will need a 4 bedroom house as we have 4 kids. Salary is not set as it’s my husbands own business so he takes what we need rather than a set amount.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Not being nosy but more info is better than less.
L1 visa but your husband doesn't work for anyone?
It's usually an intracompany transfer from one office to another.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 3:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your husband has a visa but do you and the kids have the derivative L2 visa. You don't say.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 4:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Not being nosy but more info is better than less.
L1 visa but your husband doesn't work for anyone?
It's usually an intracompany transfer from one office to another.
As the visa is already approved, it sounds as if he owns a company with offices around the world and has moved himself from office to office over the years.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 4:32 pm
KT4
Just Joined

Maybe the post isn’t clear but I don’t need advice on the visas as the company lawyers have sorted everything.

I am just looking for advice on towns/cities that would suit us. It’s all good looking at pictures and websites like niche but I wanted to hear from people with actual experience of the areas.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 4:37 pm
KT4
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
As the visa is already approved, it sounds as if he owns a company with offices around the world and has moved himself from office to office over the years.
Yes this is our situation, the US depots are not running well so he will be there to manage all the sites in person rather than consulting over the phone.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KT4
Maybe the post isn’t clear but I don’t need advice on the visas as the company lawyers have sorted everything.

I am just looking for advice on towns/cities that would suit us. It’s all good looking at pictures and websites like niche but I wanted to hear from people with actual experience of the areas.

Yes but when you ask for advice it's always better to provide a clear picture.
Minimises potential misinformation.

For example asking about 'A' when 'A' depends on 'B'.
For example in your original post you made no mention of budget....therefore questions.

It's like a bunch of folks down the pub. People get curious.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 29th 2019 at 4:56 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 4:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Yes but when you ask for advice it's always better to provide a clear picture.
Minimises potential misinformation.

For example asking about 'A' when 'A' depends on 'B'.

It's like a bunch of folks down the pub. People get curious.
I thought that in this instance the OP was pretty clear in stating which visa the family was moving on and that it was already approved.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

I thought that in this instance the OP was pretty clear in stating which visa the family was moving on and that it was already approved.

Yes.
But curious.
You know what it's like in the forums.

Note Rete's question.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 5:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KT4

Well as mentioned, a piece of string...if you're looking to get EAD to work, how much of a commute would you both fancy? What kind of work would you do? This affects what might fit for a town.

What kind of sports are the kids into? Might have a influence into what towns might be better.

You've got a 15 year old, so any college plans? He won't be able to work and depending on the kind of school, might depend on local tuition rates or not, so that's another factor on potential colleges especially local community types. So another factor that'll affect recommendations.

People are offering you free advice. You are free to take it or not, but the quality of advice given is also going to depend on the quality of info you provide.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 5:05 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Visa type has no relevance on which part of Florida is nice - which is the question OP asked. Just answer the questions rather than extending a thread with irrelevance.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 5:06 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you like it to be rather 'blowy' every few years, I wouldn't live anywhere near any Floridian beach.

Visa type has no relevance on which part of Florida is nice - which is the question OP asked. Just answer the questions rather than extending a thread with irrelevance.
Luckily since Thought Police are not actually a thing in the US yet, no one gets to determine how people respond to their thread.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 5:09 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Unless you like it to be rather 'blowy' every few years, I wouldn't live anywhere near any Floridian beach.

Luckily since Thought Police are not actually a thing in the US yet, no one gets to determine how people respond to their thread.
Way to be helpful, keep up the good work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.