Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual US/UK Citizen moving to US

Dual US/UK Citizen moving to US

Old Dec 21st 2014, 10:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual US/UK Citizen moving to US

Originally Posted by Hotscot
..... As I say, many jobs require a degree before you'll even get looked at, regardless of your personality. ....
This. If you applied for a job with my employer your application wouldn't make it past HR without a degree no matter how personable or enthusiastic you are.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

JimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I understand if you want to work for Wall Street/ Shelll or some huge Oil firm / Big Pharma then maybe it's not going to happen.

Otherwise it is just a piece of paper and you do get places in life by attitude and the connections you make.

Majority of employment come from small and medium sized business that I know do not give a toss about degrees, just a great work ethic and dedication. A lot also offer fantastic working environments and great earning prospects.

Please guys, it sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder...

Employers and customers are only looking for one thing - can you do the job? A degree or not makes not one iota of difference to that.

There are MILLIONS of very successful people that didn't go to university - Richard Branson, Felix Dennis and Bill Gates, I could go on and on.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

No. we don't have a chip..why would we?
(And I have a small, very successful, business.)

The point you don't seem willing to accept from us with extensive experience is that...

For a meaningful job with a good salary and benefits which include any vacation at all today's employers have their pick of many, many eager young people with Degrees and who are willing to start at the bottom and work their way up from there.

And generally, as an employer, all things being equal, I am going to select the candidate with the good personality and the Degree. Since, generally, the Degree shows that he is committed, intelligent, and can learn. Lack of a meaningful education qualification shows the opposite.

Of course some who are driven become successful without one. But those are exceptional atypical cases and today it is much more difficult to do that.

Without a Degree, generally, there's low end retail and customer service jobs with low salaries and few benefits, maybe even no vacation time at all.

On these forums you can benefit from our collective knowledge if you wish.

For example, what sector do you have experience in? There may be avenues to improving your employment prospects.

(And this

'Employers and customers are only looking for one thing - can you do the job? A degree or not makes not one iota of difference to that.'

You clearly have no clue about the employment process in the US.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Dec 22nd 2014 at 12:24 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 1:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
No. we don't have a chip..why would we?
(And I have a small, very successful, business.)

The point you don't seem willing to accept from us with extensive experience is that...

For a meaningful job with a good salary and benefits which include any vacation at all today's employers have their pick of many, many eager young people with Degrees and who are willing to start at the bottom and work their way up from there.

And generally, as an employer, all things being equal, I am going to select the candidate with the good personality and the Degree. Since, generally, the Degree shows that he is committed, intelligent, and can learn. Lack of a meaningful education qualification shows the opposite.

Of course some who are driven become successful without one. But those are exceptional atypical cases and today it is much more difficult to do that.

Without a Degree, generally, there's low end retail and customer service jobs with low salaries and few benefits, maybe even no vacation time at all.

On these forums you can benefit from our collective knowledge if you wish.

For example, what sector do you have experience in? There may be avenues to improving your employment prospects.

(And this

'Employers and customers are only looking for one thing - can you do the job? A degree or not makes not one iota of difference to that.'

You clearly have no clue about the employment process in the US.)
I was going to reply, but Hotscot said it all already.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 2:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimFL
Okay, I understand if you want to work for Wall Street/ Shelll or some huge Oil firm / Big Pharma then maybe it's not going to happen.

Otherwise it is just a piece of paper and you do get places in life by attitude and the connections you make.

Majority of employment come from small and medium sized business that I know do not give a toss about degrees, just a great work ethic and dedication. A lot also offer fantastic working environments and great earning prospects.

Please guys, it sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder...

Employers and customers are only looking for one thing - can you do the job? A degree or not makes not one iota of difference to that.

There are MILLIONS of very successful people that didn't go to university - Richard Branson, Felix Dennis and Bill Gates, I could go on and on.
Which is great but not the reality. Even shit jobs asking if you want fries with that are looking for higher education.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 2:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Back when I got hired for a basic admin job in 1989, there were tons of applicants. After I got hired, my boss told me that it had come down to two qualified candidates, me and another girl. He hired me because I had a degree and the other girl did not... even though my degree was in teaching, not admin or office work.

I've been there 25 years now.

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

I only have my UK qualifications, which is a National Diploma in HGV mechanics (diesel truck/big rig mechanic) and I'm pretty sure with these and 10 years experience in will be able to get a job in the US. I did get in touch with a University in Phoenix who said with 10 years experience and my UK qualifications going back to school there would be a waste of money and time. I'm hoping they and I are not wrong or its going to be a headache.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nun
With your degree Washington DC might be the easiest place to find a job. After London you'll probably find DC and the surrounding Maryland and Virginia suburbs a lit less expensive.

On a practical note, are you up to date with your US taxes? Being a student you might not need to have filed, but you should make sure everything is in order.
Nun, I will say that your knowledge on taxes is without question as you do have some great answers, however I do not think that suggesting that Virginia and or Maryland is cheaper to live. I should know as I lived in Northern Virginia for nearly 30 years. The prices for property in the VA/MD suburbs whether buying or renting is very high. Example the whole population of Virginia is approx 7 million and 4 million of those live in Northern Va.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 1:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
I only have my UK qualifications, which is a National Diploma in HGV mechanics (diesel truck/big rig mechanic) and I'm pretty sure with these and 10 years experience in will be able to get a job in the US. I did get in touch with a University in Phoenix who said with 10 years experience and my UK qualifications going back to school there would be a waste of money and time. I'm hoping they and I are not wrong or its going to be a headache.
Going to depend on the state as for what kind of certification you'd need for that kind of work, which could be anything from you having to just do nothing, do an exam, doing an apprenticeship for x months.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Going to depend on the state as for what kind of certification you'd need for that kind of work, which could be anything from you having to just do nothing, do an exam, doing an apprenticeship for x months.
I'm heading to Arizona, there is a certification called ASE that I have put on my resume I want to complete ASAP. The company you work for usually put you through it you see.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, even for anyone who doesn't have a Degree it is at least useful to obtain local certifications to complement any real world experience.