Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual UKC/USC Looking to move to FT Lauderdale FL

Dual UKC/USC Looking to move to FT Lauderdale FL

Old May 27th 2016, 7:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual UKC/USC Looking to move to FT Lauderdale FL

Originally Posted by CiaraBM
Okay, I think I'll look somewhere else for information on moving because I'm getting a little bored or being told my education isn't substantial and that I will have a shit job. Not really what a came here for.
So thanks guys
Anyway, good luck with the move!
Old May 27th 2016, 10:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
I'm at 27 year old air hostess from England.
I'm seriously considering moving to Florida as my parents live there for a Couple months of a year and I feel like I need a change. Is it easy to find a job? I have GCSEs and two diplomas but no Degree. Is it easy to meet people and make friends. Being lonely is my biggest worry .
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thank you

Ciara
It's easy to find a job, it's not easy to find a decent job.

It's all hospitality and healthcare, or nearly all anyway, obviously you can work at Publix.

Major employers are Port Everglades, cruise lines and yeah the airport.

I would say an easy way to make friends is to go to Broward Community College and study something.

There used to be a lot of British people there but it kind of died away after 9/11 because a lot of them weren't there legally. Plus after Hurricane Andrew a lot of Cubans moved up from Miami-Dade.
Old May 27th 2016, 10:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I think I'll look somewhere else for information on moving because I'm getting a little bored or being told my education isn't substantial and that I will have a shit job. Not really what a came here for.
So thanks guys
But your education isn't substantial so you will get a shit job - if you don't like the answers don't ask the questions!

Actually thinking about it, I had a series of shit jobs there, so first-hand experience being shared with you.

Last edited by Steve_; May 27th 2016 at 11:43 pm.
Old May 28th 2016, 2:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all the replies.
Everyone seems to be stuck on the education side of things. I'm not really interested in that.
I'm more interested in what general life is like in Florida, how it's like making friends and integrating in to the community.
Without decent income life is pretty crappy, not just in Florida, but everywhere in the US. I am sorry that you think we're not giving you the information that you think you are looking for, but the truth is that in the US life sucks without a decent job. Honestly, it really does!

And IMO the idea about the US being a "classless society" is not true either - snobbery is alive and well in the US: if you're renting a cheap apartment or a trailer because that is all you can afford, you'll find that that significantly limits the circle of friends you can maintain.
Old May 28th 2016, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Ives is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm American but lived in the UK 13 years. My husband and kids are British, and a year ago we moved to Florida! We're near Tampa. BEST decision ever!!! I cannot express how much I love it here. The weather, ahhhhh, constant sun and blue skies, it's just beautiful. You might be able to get a job in a grocery store. If you work hard they promote you. My husband got a job at Publix, the main grocery store chain down here. He just walked in a basically got it, but people say it's hard to get in. We didn't know but every one we mention it to tells us how amazing of a company it is, so he's planning on staying there and moving up. Do it!!!!! You'll just have to try hard to make friends once you get here. Find a church and go, you'll make friends there if they have small groups, and you can make friends at work. People will love your accent and think you're really cool!
Old May 28th 2016, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I am American and may be biased. Twenty million people call Florida home. It had the second most new residents last year of all the fifty states. It gets hot, it has more than its share of bugs and more than a few alligators. If you consider being on the beach in Jan more exiting than shoveling snow it may be for you. I would recommend taking your vacation when your parents are spending their two months and explore your areas of interest. During that time you could also inquire about jobs. It may be in your best interest to try to get a job with an American airline and stay in the same type of job. I lived in Jacksonville for two years and my wife is from there and we both like it. I was a Naval Officer and we left for a new assignment in the Philippines and later settled in Tennessee. You can have a great life in Florida.
Old May 28th 2016, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Ives is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, my husband has a degree in Genetics and about 9 years background in property management, and it didn't help get a decent job, so he works at Publix and we don't have lots of money but live cheap and love our life! Because we have sunshine and can do so many things outdoors all year round. Education is over rated. (I also have a BA)
Old May 28th 2016, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

On this site when the subject of Florida comes up the experts who have never lived there hate it and most of the expats who actually live there like it. Who are we to believe?
Old May 28th 2016, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
On this site when the subject of Florida comes up the experts who have never lived there hate it and most of the expats who actually live there like it. Who are we to believe?
Both.

Since essentially everyone who immigrates to the US does so as the result of a conscious decision, which will typically include either actively choosing where they are going to live or, at least, deciding that the place that they have an opportunity to move to (through marriage or employment, etc) is acceptable to them, then it is hardly surprising to find that the majority of people who don't like Florida don't end up moving there or that the people who choose to live in Florida tend to include a fairly high proportion of people who actually like Florida.
Old May 28th 2016, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by md95065
Both.

Since essentially everyone who immigrates to the US does so as the result of a conscious decision, which will typically include either actively choosing where they are going to live or, at least, deciding that the place that they have an opportunity to move to (through marriage or employment, etc) is acceptable to them, then it is hardly surprising to find that the majority of people who don't like Florida don't end up moving there or that the people who choose to live in Florida tend to include a fairly high proportion of people who actually like Florida.
That is true so the best advice the experts could offer would be to advise them to choose their place to live based on their personnal preference and not the advising experts own personnal bias.
Old May 29th 2016, 12:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That is true so the best advice the experts could offer would be to advise them to choose their place to live based on their personnal preference and not the advising experts own personnal bias.
I see nothing wrong in sharing some of the pitfalls of Florida and the advantages/ attractions of other states. There are fifty to choose from and I, and apparently others, are bemused by the obsession that some people have with Florida. ..... If I needed to move to Florida, I am sure I could be perfectly happy there, but I prefer elsewhere.
Old May 29th 2016, 1:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ives
I'm American but lived in the UK 13 years. My husband and kids are British, and a year ago we moved to Florida! We're near Tampa. BEST decision ever!!! I cannot express how much I love it here. The weather, ahhhhh, constant sun and blue skies, it's just beautiful. You might be able to get a job in a grocery store. If you work hard they promote you. My husband got a job at Publix, the main grocery store chain down here. He just walked in a basically got it, but people say it's hard to get in. We didn't know but every one we mention it to tells us how amazing of a company it is, so he's planning on staying there and moving up. Do it!!!!! You'll just have to try hard to make friends once you get here. Find a church and go, you'll make friends there if they have small groups, and you can make friends at work. People will love your accent and think you're really cool!
Unfortunately there is more to life than blue skies and sunshine and if you are moving to a country you have never lived in before, you don't have a partner that grew up in the US, and you are starting from scratch then I would think sunny days would be quite a little ways down the list of importance. So even though you live in Florida your advice isn't very practical .

To the Original Poster, if you want some good advice then give more information.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat097; May 29th 2016 at 3:12 am.
Old May 30th 2016, 1:08 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

I lived in Florida a long time, and you can't simplify it into a sentence like that. It has upsides and downsides like everywhere else. How long have you lived in Ft. Lauderdale exactly?

The fact of the matter is that the jobs revolve around hospitality, tourism and healthcare. She works for an airline already so maybe it's a good choice, but that assumes you want to work in that kind of job. Or like I said you could work in Publix which another poster said that's what they did!
Old May 30th 2016, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_
I lived in Florida a long time, and you can't simplify it into a sentence like that. It has upsides and downsides like everywhere else. How long have you lived in Ft. Lauderdale exactly?

The fact of the matter is that the jobs revolve around hospitality, tourism and healthcare. She works for an airline already so maybe it's a good choice, but that assumes you want to work in that kind of job. Or like I said you could work in Publix which another poster said that's what they did!
You have lived and worked there and therefore have credentials to offer advice. But the bottom line is it doesn't matter how much you or I like Florida that obligation falls on the OP. She is young, unmarried and apparently looking for a change. Her only risk is a move will require her to give up her current job. Otherwise she can reverse any decision quite easily as long as she doesn't buy property until she is sure how she likes a new home.
My only interest in Florida currently is a place to visit when I get sick of winter in Tennessee. My wife is from there and we planned to move there but it was going to be very difficult to transfer my Dental and Pharmacist license.
We chose Tennessee and now the wife likes it has no desire to move back to Florida.
Old May 30th 2016, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

You have lived and worked there and therefore have credentials to offer advice. But the bottom line is it doesn't matter how much you or I like Florida that obligation falls on the OP. She is young, unmarried and apparently looking for a change. Her only risk is a move will require her to give up her current job. Otherwise she can reverse any decision quite easily as long as she doesn't buy property until she is sure how she likes a new home.
My only interest in Florida currently is a place to visit when I get sick of winter in Tennessee. My wife is from there and we planned to move there but it was going to be very difficult to transfer my Dental and Pharmacist license.
We chose Tennessee and now the wife likes it has no desire to move back to Florida.
Most of us cannot give advice on Florida but we can give general advice on moving, as we have all done that!

She may be young and single but she also hasn't offered too much information. Her needs for housing , money to start a "new life", buying a vehicle to get to and from work are all factors in her move and just suggesting someone can get a job at Publix really isn't giving the whole picture when you are discussing a major move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.