British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dual UKC/USC Looking to move to FT Lauderdale FL (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dual-ukc-usc-looking-move-ft-lauderdale-fl-878013/)

CiaraBM May 26th 2016 8:58 am

Dual UKC/USC Looking to move to FT Lauderdale FL

Hello,
I'm at 27 year old air hostess from England.
I'm seriously considering moving to Florida as my parents live there for a Couple months of a year and I feel like I need a change. Is it easy to find a job? I have GCSEs and two diplomas but no Degree. Is it easy to meet people and make friends. Being lonely is my biggest worry .
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thank you

Ciara

christmasoompa May 26th 2016 9:34 am

re: Dual UKC/USC Looking to move to FT Lauderdale FL

Originally Posted by CiaraBM (Post 11956607)
Hello,
I'm seriously considering moving to Florida as my parents live there for a Couple months of a year and I feel like I need a change. Is it easy to find a job? I have GCSEs and two diplomas but no Degree. Is it easy to meet people and make friends. Being lonely is my biggest worry .
Thank you

Ciara

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Are you a US citizen? If not, then from what you've said, I don't think you'll be likely to qualify for any visa to move to the US, but start here and you can figure out if any of the options look likely - Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

HTH, good luck.

CiaraBM May 26th 2016 10:57 am

Hello! Yes have dual Nationality xx

tom169 May 26th 2016 11:47 am

Originally Posted by CiaraBM (Post 11956706)
Hello! Yes have dual Nationality xx

Wahey. Maybe update the thread to include this and differentiate it from the normal Florida posts.

Never been to Florida myself, but good luck in your travels.

robin1234 May 26th 2016 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by CiaraBM (Post 11956607)
Hello,
Thank you

Ciara

You mean, you're considering leaving the airline industry and trying something new? How about going back to college? Being a big city, I'm sure there are several community colleges, vocational schools of various types in Ft. Lauderdale. Do you have a place to live there already - or do your parents rent when they are in FL?

CiaraBM May 26th 2016 12:37 pm

Hello,
Thanks for the reply I might stay in the airline industry or maybe if I find something else that tickles my fancy switch.
I have no desire to go back to school, never enjoyed school and not much of an academic!
Just looking for more the general feel of living in Florida and what people have experienced.

Noorah101 May 26th 2016 1:05 pm

Re: Looking to move to FT Lauderdale FL

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 11956721)
Wahey. Maybe update the thread to include this and differentiate it from the normal Florida posts.

I updated the thread title. :)

Rene

KBahn May 26th 2016 3:33 pm

Re: Dual UKC/USC Looking to move to FT Lauderdale FL

Fort Lauderdale has a pretty big airport, so I'd assume that some of the airlines that operate out of there will have crew based there too. The airport is also very close to the city. MIA is also only an hour or so south. The other big tourist employer is the cruise ship industry - FL is the biggest winter cruise port in the world... With good experience in tourism / service industry you should not have much trouble getting a job - but remember that if you want to live in the nicer areas of the city (Las Olas, Central Beach, etc), property prices / rents are high.... Also goes without saying that it's HOT in the summer... ;) We own a condo on central beach and it's a great spot to live.

Bob May 26th 2016 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by CiaraBM (Post 11956750)
I have no desire to go back to school, never enjoyed school and not much of an academic!

No degree does seriously limit the job prospects, even shit jobs usually use it as a means to weed the applications out.

Sucks to be working all hours in something shit.

Pulaski May 26th 2016 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11957165)
No degree does seriously limit the job prospects, even shit jobs usually use it as a means to weed the applications out.

Sucks to be working all hours in something shit.

Agreed. Even crappy jobs in the US frequently require a degree, and/or even if hired you almost immediately hit a glass ceiling if you don't have a degree. Luckily :unsure: not being academic is no bar to getting a degree in the US.

All the people I have interviewed for a job have had a degree, some even have had an MBA, but most have difficulty communicating clearly in written and spoken English, even those with an MBA! :blink:

If you can get work in the short term, then enroll in some evening classes at your local community college and start accruing credits towards a degree, even if it becomes a 6-10 year goal it will be worth it in the end. .... It will also be a good place to meet some people.

md95065 May 27th 2016 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11957181)
Luckily :unsure: not being academic is no bar to getting a degree in the US.

... just as "not being able to drive" does not appear to be an obstacle to getting a driver's license ... :sneaky:

CiaraBM May 27th 2016 6:37 pm

Thank you for all the replies.
Everyone seems to be stuck on the education side of things. I'm not really interested in that.
I'm more interested in what general life is like in Florida, how it's like making friends and integrating in to the community.

Bob May 27th 2016 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by CiaraBM (Post 11957913)
I'm more interested in what general life is like in Florida, how it's like making friends and integrating in to the community.

Well it's like it is anywhere, usually involved around your job or your hobbies.

Having a shit job will impact your abilities to do anything outside of work, thus making friends and doing anything fun.

So yes, while it might be boring, education is far more important here because it very much is a live to work rather than work to live lifestyle for many.

CiaraBM May 27th 2016 7:48 pm

Okay, I think I'll look somewhere else for information on moving because I'm getting a little bored or being told my education isn't substantial and that I will have a shit job. Not really what a came here for.
So thanks guys

Bob May 27th 2016 7:58 pm

Well you asked a open ended, crap question, so you're going to get answers based off of it.

You've not really said what you're looking for for work, so people can't say if the area will you asked about will be much help. You've not said what kind of hobbies you have, so no one will no if there will be the kind of crap you're interested in, so who knows if you'll be able to fit in and find friends easily.

Most people try having a job lined up before moving, you'll struggle to have that happen on something that won't require a degree, even if it did it would be a struggle.

It's not meant to have a go at you, but to make you actually think things through. You'll get great advice, but only as good as you give.