Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual UK\USA Nationality - is it possible?

Dual UK\USA Nationality - is it possible?

Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

California_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud of
Default Dual UK\USA Nationality - is it possible?

Hi Guys,

This is a question I've been pondering for a little while.

I'm a new PR in California, and in the past, my wife (A USC) and I have discussed the importance of retaining our respective nationalities. Mainly so the when we have children, they may have an easier path to living in either the UK or the US.

Now, I know i have a few years before I'm even eligible to apply for Citizenship, but how feasable is it to hold two passports at once? Are the legal implications involved?

All information I can find on the subject seems to be a bit sketchy, so any info that you guys could offer would be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings!

C_B
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:29 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual UK\USA Nationality - is it possible?

British perspective: nothing
Us perspective: richw.org/dualcit -- virtually nothing.

Also some more ideas here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pro%27...US_Citizenship

Just go ahead and do it.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:59 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
British perspective: nothing
Us perspective: richw.org/dualcit -- virtually nothing.

Also some more ideas here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pro%27...US_Citizenship

Just go ahead and do it.
It used to be frowned upon (from the US side), even discouraged and occasionally a legal issue (such as getting a government job), but now, by and large, it isn't. I'd say you could say the US position was 'basically opposed' and now is more or less 'tolerated'.

Do look into the positives and negatives. The biggest downside is taxes--you'll be subject to US taxes no matter where you live. It may also affect your ability to obtain a 'sensitive' goverment job -- in either country, should that be a career your are considering.

Check those links--they have some good data.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
and occasionally a legal issue (such as getting a government job)
This is something that I've been wondering. How does it work? You are a US citizen so would qualify if the job required it, but how do they view having a second, or third citizenship? I know for GCHQ there are some specific guidelines for that but I can't seem to find anything like that here. The prospect of US citizen only jobs is a major factor in me deciding to get mine but if it means I would have to give up my UK one then that would be a negative.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:48 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
This is something that I've been wondering. How does it work? You are a US citizen so would qualify if the job required it, but how do they view having a second, or third citizenship? I know for GCHQ there are some specific guidelines for that but I can't seem to find anything like that here. The prospect of US citizen only jobs is a major factor in me deciding to get mine but if it means I would have to give up my UK one then that would be a negative.
I don't think there is one way or another that it 'works'. I think you would be eligible for all jobs that US citizens are eligible for.

However, as was a discussion here a few weeks ago, there is another level--those jobs that you can get a security clearance for. Even if you are a US citizen, there are situations in which having a dual citizenship, dual loyalty if you will, would prevent you from getting a security clearance (and thus, a certain type of job).

For example, all US citizens are eligible for this job, but not all US citizens will pass the security clearance, for whatever reason. You would be eligible for all US citizen jobs, but you might not pass the security clearance due to dual citizenship.

Someone else was going through this on the board just recently. Do a search for security clearance and you might find out more. Or google:

http://www.expatsinitaly.com/citizen...clearence.html
http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...oreignpref.htm
http://www.crnjapan.com/foreign_law/...learances.html (covering US State Dept. policy on clearances).
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by California_Bound
Yo, Chico... thought we covered this.
Do it. ASAP
Which for you, will be 3 years from your PR date (application in 90 days beforehand) as long as you stay married to the Missus.
Don't stay out of the US for 6+ months at a stretch and stay out of trouble for a few years. See uscis.gov Guide to Naturalization for more info.

Mine did it last year, he's happy as a clam. No plans for us to move the other way, so if we do move back to Europe, I'll be hitchhiking off of him. USCs have to live in the UK for a similar amount of time to qualify for the UKC.

PS: kidlets would be entitled to both regardless of you taking USC or not.

PPS: may be blasting though your way this winter.. fancy a La Comida dinner? (my tummy just rumbled at the thought!)
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

However, as was a discussion here a few weeks ago, there is another level--those jobs that you can get a security clearance for. Even if you are a US citizen, there are situations in which having a dual citizenship, dual loyalty if you will, would prevent you from getting a security clearance (and thus, a certain type of job).
It's worth pointing out that any kind of foreign ties may disqualify you from a security clearance. Even those who are solely U.S. citizens may be refused due to friends, family, real estate interests etc overseas.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:06 am
Banned

farnworth hardcase is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

I'm a new PR in California, and in the past, my wife (A USC) and I have discussed the importance of retaining our respective nationalities. Mainly so the when we have children, they may have an easier path to living in either the UK or the US.

Now, I know i have a few years before I'm even eligible to apply for Citizenship, but how feasable is it to hold two passports at once? Are the legal implications involved?

All information I can find on the subject seems to be a bit sketchy, so any info that you guys could offer would be great.

C_B
Don't bother with US citizenship, with healthcare costs and all that. Not worth it.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by farnworth hardcase
Don't bother with US citizenship, with healthcare costs and all that. Not worth it.
Ummm...you might want to reread his post. He's already in the US dealing with healthcare costs. It's not like it is going to get more expensive if he has citizenship instead of PR.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's worth pointing out that any kind of foreign ties may disqualify you from a security clearance. Even those who are solely U.S. citizens may be refused due to friends, family, real estate interests etc overseas.
Yea, exactly. Security clearance is a case by case issue, and whether you get a clearance is sort of the result of almost a formula they run through, with some things being negatives, including what was mentioned above, and dual citizenship, drug use, communist party membership, gambling, etc.

To be honest, living as an expat (as an adult) makes it rather difficult to get clearance in the US or in the UK (as I've read a number of posts from people who were denied after returning back because of their overseas residence the last few years).

That said, expat kids who grow up overseas with different language skills are often highly sought after for those types of careers.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, exactly. Security clearance is a case by case issue, and whether you get a clearance is sort of the result of almost a formula they run through, with some things being negatives, including what was mentioned above, and dual citizenship, drug use, communist party membership, gambling, etc.

To be honest, living as an expat (as an adult) makes it rather difficult to get clearance in the US or in the UK (as I've read a number of posts from people who were denied after returning back because of their overseas residence the last few years).

That said, expat kids who grow up overseas with different language skills are often highly sought after for those types of careers.
I have lost my Green Card in the past because of moving back to the UK for a while. My SIL lost her Green Card recently having held one for over 20 years, because she stayed out of the US for too long. I definitely think it's worth getting US citizenship if you plan to leave the US then move back later.

Meanwhile my husband is a USC but had indefinite leave to remain in the UK for about 20 years, and he lost that when an immigration officer accidentally put a tourist stamp in his passport. It took him months to get it back and during that time he couldn't work or claim benefits. So again, he has since applied for UK citizenship which makes his position there more secure.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I now know a couple of people who, since becoming US citizens, have gained a US security clearance (one S, one TS). These are people who held UK clearances in the past. Neither had to renounce their UK citizenship, although one was asked if he was willing to should it be required - he replied that he had already done so at the oath ceremony and it was let slide.

So it is doable, the fact that you are an expat is not necessarily a cause for flat denial. In the case of the two people above, regarding their background checks from childhood days, the DOD approached the UK DVA for the information that had already been obtained years ago.

As you rightly say it depends on many circumstances, but flat out being an expat does not necessarily stop you getting one.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Dual UK\USA Nationality - is it possible?

Hi Guys,

C_B
Here's the British Government's point of view on the subject of Dual US/UK Nationality;

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=1&a=25317&D=1

Jim.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

C_B

Yes. It's OK to hold both US and UK passports but when travelling between the two countries you have to take care to present each country their respective passport otherwise you'll find yourself having problems.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

California_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yo, Chico... thought we covered this.
Do it. ASAP
Which for you, will be 3 years from your PR date (application in 90 days beforehand) as long as you stay married to the Missus.
Don't stay out of the US for 6+ months at a stretch and stay out of trouble for a few years. See uscis.gov Guide to Naturalization for more info.

Mine did it last year, he's happy as a clam. No plans for us to move the other way, so if we do move back to Europe, I'll be hitchhiking off of him. USCs have to live in the UK for a similar amount of time to qualify for the UKC.

PS: kidlets would be entitled to both regardless of you taking USC or not.

PPS: may be blasting though your way this winter.. fancy a La Comida dinner? (my tummy just rumbled at the thought!)
Yo Chica!

I'm the kind of guy that needs information battered into me, maybe this thread will finally sink it in!!

As for La Comida? You name the date, I'll bring the chipotle! :-p

C_B

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.