Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Passport

Dual Passport

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Passport

It's illegal to hunt grizzly bears in California.

but they're aren't any grizzly bears in California........

it's a illegal though so don't do it.......
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vairam
We are UK citizen and live in the USA in a Green Card.
I am thinking of applying for US citizen, but i do not see anything on the form asking for dual citizen.

i have few questions, may be you can answer for that.

1- will i lose my UK citizen if i take USA citizen?

2- which passport i have to use when i travel to UK?

3- if my children go to UK to study, can they fill the application form saying that they are British to claim that they are home students ?

i am sure many people in a situation like me, hope to hear from you all.

US State Department Services Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

Home Office -- UK Border Agency

Can I be a citizen of two countries?

This page explains how to find out whether you can be a citizen of two countries and how this affects you when you travel abroad.
When becoming a British citizen

You do not need to give up your present citizenship or nationality to become a British citizen.

Many countries will not let you have two nationalities (dual nationality). If you become a British citizen and are a national of a country which does not allow dual nationality, the authorities of that country may either regard you as having lost that nationality or may refuse to recognise your new nationality. Before you apply for British citizenship you may wish to check what your position would be with the authorities of the country of which you are a citizen.
If you become a national of another country

You will not normally lose your British nationality if you become a citizen or national of another country. If you are a British subject otherwise than by connection with the Republic of Ireland you will lose that status on acquiring any other nationality or citizenship. If you are a British protected person you will lose that status on acquiring any other nationality or citizenship.

If you are becoming a citizen or national of a country that does not allow dual nationality, you may be required by that country to give up your British nationality.
If you are married to a national of another country

Under the nationality laws of some countries, a married person automatically has his or her partner's nationality. Children may also have a parent's nationality even if they were born abroad. If your wife, husband or child is visiting the country of your nationality, you should check with the country's consulate or high commission in the United Kingdom before you travel.
Travelling abroad

Under international law, we cannot give you diplomatic help if you are in a country of which you are a national. For example, if you hold both British and Chinese nationality we would be unable to give you diplomatic help when you are visiting China.

If you are planning to visit your former homeland, and you are not sure whether you have lost your old nationality, you should check with the country's consulate or high commission in the United Kingdom before you travel. If you have not lost the old nationality and want to give it up, they will be able to tell you what to do.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaytee
US State Department Services Dual Nationality
Thanks for joining the party. This is an old argument and is rehashed in this and other forums several times per year. Regardless of what the law says, there is no passport exit control in the US... and so the law is unenforceable in practice. Does that change the law? No, but whether someone follows the law or not is meaningless, since nothing whatsoever will ever come of it.

Ian
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:04 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Thanks for joining the party. This is an old argument and is rehashed in this and other forums several times per year. Regardless of what the law says, there is no passport exit control in the US... and so the law is unenforceable in practice. Does that change the law? No, but whether someone follows the law or not is meaningless, since nothing whatsoever will ever come of it.

Ian
If there ever happens to be exit controls for US Citizens then I expect the law to be followed as per the directive.

however there is no law stating you must represent yourself as a US citizen to check in for an international flight - no matter what the airlines do with your info.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

If you're a USC, you must use your US passport to enter/leave the US. When you get to the UK, you then use your UK passport to enter. You will need to carry both passports with you when you travel.
Don't need two. Can just use their US passport to enter the UK if the purpose of the trip is just a holiday.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Manc
again..........

we're talking about exit controls here for dual nationals no?

not people who have overstayed.

there is no APIS or exit control for people leaving the USA through the Windsor tunnel.

you just drive to Canada.............
APIS pertains to data an airline has to supply USG/DHS. Leaving the country is a formality; however entering US about 15 minutes (or was it 30 minutes) before take-off the airline is supposed to transmit it to US, or face denial of landing.

Driving a car, and/or ship/ferries are not as yet subject to same controls. You can use a passport card (as a USC) crossing the border in Buffalo, which a lot of cross-border commuters do.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:26 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by anuny
APIS pertains to data an airline has to supply USG/DHS. Leaving the country is a formality; however entering US about 15 minutes (or was it 30 minutes) before take-off the airline is supposed to transmit it to US, or face denial of landing.

Driving a car, and/or ship/ferries are not as yet subject to same controls. You can use a passport card (as a USC) crossing the border in Buffalo, which a lot of cross-border commuters do.
I'm sure that's what I said.

be right back

I'm going to bang my head on a wall.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Vairam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Once you become a US citizen, you must enter and exit the US with that passport.

That has nothing to do with which passport you use to enter the UK.
Many people travel with two passports.
i belive the air lines scan our passport and send the infomation to Homeland security in ths US and to the imigration of the detination county, this case,
my infomation goes to UK saying that a person traveling with US passport to your country.
when i land in the UK aiport if i give my UK passport to the imigration,This where i confused because

UK imgration is going to ask question where this guy is coming from since there is no infomation from the originating country (where he is coming from) for that passport in their database.

do i have to show both passport to UK imigration?
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vairam
... when i land in the UK aiport if i give my UK passport to the imigration,This where i confused...
Why do you think that HM's government cares whether or not you have a US passport and showed that passport when you got on the plane? They don't care.

UK imgration is going to ask question...
Umm... no, they won't. But, even if they do - what does it matter. If you are a UKC and show a valid UK passport when you arrive in the UK, no one is going to care that you also have a US passport and that you showed the US passport when you got on the plane.

do i have to show both passport to UK imigration?
No. You can show only your UK passport.

People have repeatedly given you the correct information, so I'm not sure why you don't understand that it's perfectly okay to show your US passport when you leave the US, and show your UK passport when you enter the UK. That's what you're supposed to do.

Ian