Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Nationality

Dual Nationality

Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

scotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to behold
Post Dual Nationality

Can anyone throw any light/ info/ advice on trying to gain Dual USA/ UK (Scotland) Nationality? How does it work, if at all, re passports, traveling, etc? I'm just curious at the moment. Thanks.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Nationality

Originally Posted by scotslad60 View Post
Can anyone throw any light/ info/ advice on trying to gain Dual USA/ UK (Scotland) Nationality?
I was born in Glasgow. I am now a dual UK/US citizen. The only way it'll happen is if you first get a green card in the US. Eventually, you can naturalize in the US and you'll become a dual citizen.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Mar 6th 2017 at 10:57 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

scotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to beholdscotslad60 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Ian.

I'm actually from Glasgow too, small world, eh? Been a green card holder for several years and was wondering about how to get the Dual Nationality thing. Thanks.

Any info on how it works with passports if I was to travel back to Scotland though? I still have my UK one of course. Don't know if I'm supposed to use that or the USA one (when I get one).
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You use your UK one to enter the UK or any other country you travel to but you must use your US passport to enter the US.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you always have to travel on your US passport, out of the US and back into the US.... otherwise you're creating a whole bunch of questions and annoyance when you come back.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Another dual UK/US citizen from (just outside) Glasgow here. I agree with the comments so far. Travel out of, and back to, the US on your US passport.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:31 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

My brother-in-law obtained his UK nationality by naturalization. He uses both PP's in entering UK from US.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:35 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotslad60 View Post
Been a green card holder for several years...
Well then, that makes it easy!

... and was wondering about how to get the Dual Nationality thing.
You can apply for US naturalization 90 days prior to the 5th anniversary of you becoming a US permanent resident. If you've had your GC for 5 years, you're already eligible. If you're married to a US citizen, you can apply 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of getting a GC if the marriage is also 3 years old at that point.

File form N-400 to get the ball rolling. Also take a look at form M-476. The process takes about 6 months.

Ian
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
You use your UK one to enter the UK or any other country you travel to but you must use your US passport to enter the US.
My UK passport is expired. Would it be better to use my non-expired US passport to enter the UK?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bewildering View Post
Would it be better to use my non-expired US passport to enter the UK?
You can but you don't have to. An expired UK passport is still proof that you're a UK citizen. It might not be much good as a travel document - so you can't get on a plane with it - but it's still good as photo ID and proof of citizenship - so you can still enter the UK with it.

Ian