British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dual Nationality (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dual-nationality-893532/)

scotslad60 Mar 6th 2017 9:57 pm

Dual Nationality

Can anyone throw any light/ info/ advice on trying to gain Dual USA/ UK (Scotland) Nationality? How does it work, if at all, re passports, traveling, etc? I'm just curious at the moment. Thanks.

ian-mstm Mar 6th 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Dual Nationality

Originally Posted by scotslad60 (Post 12198724)
Can anyone throw any light/ info/ advice on trying to gain Dual USA/ UK (Scotland) Nationality?

I was born in Glasgow. I am now a dual UK/US citizen. The only way it'll happen is if you first get a green card in the US. Eventually, you can naturalize in the US and you'll become a dual citizen.

Ian

scotslad60 Mar 6th 2017 11:20 pm

Thanks Ian.

I'm actually from Glasgow too, small world, eh? Been a green card holder for several years and was wondering about how to get the Dual Nationality thing. Thanks.

Any info on how it works with passports if I was to travel back to Scotland though? I still have my UK one of course. Don't know if I'm supposed to use that or the USA one (when I get one).

Rete Mar 6th 2017 11:22 pm

You use your UK one to enter the UK or any other country you travel to but you must use your US passport to enter the US.

scotslad60 Mar 7th 2017 12:20 am

Thanks! :thumbsup:

AmerLisa Mar 7th 2017 1:06 am

I believe you always have to travel on your US passport, out of the US and back into the US.... otherwise you're creating a whole bunch of questions and annoyance when you come back.

Scott33 Mar 7th 2017 1:16 am

Another dual UK/US citizen from (just outside) Glasgow here. I agree with the comments so far. Travel out of, and back to, the US on your US passport.

S Folinsky Mar 7th 2017 2:31 am

My brother-in-law obtained his UK nationality by naturalization. He uses both PP's in entering UK from US.

ian-mstm Mar 7th 2017 2:35 am

Originally Posted by scotslad60 (Post 12198755)
Been a green card holder for several years...

Well then, that makes it easy!

... and was wondering about how to get the Dual Nationality thing.
You can apply for US naturalization 90 days prior to the 5th anniversary of you becoming a US permanent resident. If you've had your GC for 5 years, you're already eligible. If you're married to a US citizen, you can apply 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of getting a GC if the marriage is also 3 years old at that point.

File form N-400 to get the ball rolling. Also take a look at form M-476. The process takes about 6 months.

Ian

bewildering Mar 7th 2017 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12198758)
You use your UK one to enter the UK or any other country you travel to but you must use your US passport to enter the US.

My UK passport is expired. Would it be better to use my non-expired US passport to enter the UK?

ian-mstm Mar 7th 2017 2:48 am

Originally Posted by bewildering (Post 12198836)
Would it be better to use my non-expired US passport to enter the UK?

You can but you don't have to. An expired UK passport is still proof that you're a UK citizen. It might not be much good as a travel document - so you can't get on a plane with it - but it's still good as photo ID and proof of citizenship - so you can still enter the UK with it.

Ian