Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Nationality

Dual Nationality

Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Nationality

Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Is the above true for overseas citizens? I have never lived in the USA, and am currently a university student in the UK, paying home fees as a British citizen. I've never been asked about tax returns, drafting etc. (I'm not even sure what "Selective Service" is! I'll have to Google it).
Selective Service can be found at http://www.sss.gov
Assuming you are male, you have to register. If you don't, you are breaking the law and it may cause problems for you later on.

They will accept a late registration as long as you have not turned 26. Most people in your situation only come and ask when they are 26 or 27 and it's too late.

If you have a British registration certificate then you should read what it says for the section of the British Nationality Act 1981 under which you were granted British citizenship. If it says section 1(3) then you are British otherwise than by descent. Or perhaps it says something else?

On taxes, you may not have any tax to pay for now but you should file U.S. federal tax returns anyway to make sure the IRS knows your liability is zero. And going forward, you will need to keep your investments quite simple in order to avoid complexities with American taxes. Owning stock and real estate directly doesn't usually cause complications but it's generally advisable to avoid mutual funds (unit trusts) for example and you don't really get to make use of U.K. tax free savings like ISAs because they are not tax free to the United States.

Last edited by JAJ; Jun 12th 2012 at 4:19 am.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:28 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
On taxes, you may not have any tax to pay for now but you should file U.S. federal tax returns anyway to make sure the IRS knows your liability is zero. And going forward, you will need to keep your investments quite simple in order to avoid complexities with American taxes. Owning stock and real estate directly doesn't usually cause complications but it's generally advisable to avoid mutual funds (unit trusts) for example and you don't really get to make use of U.K. tax free savings like ISAs because they are not tax free to the United States.
Definitely avoid UK stocks and shares ISAs, They are taxed by the IRS as foreign grantor trusts and will probably own Passive Foreign Investment Corporations (PFIC) ie unit trusts which you should avoid. But a cash ISA is a good investment. It grows UK tax free, but you will have to declare any interest on your US taxes.....however you might well have no US tax to pay if you have enough UK tax credits.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Banu_Hashim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Do you already have a US passport?
Yes, I do.