Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizneship - - Security Clearance

Dual Citizneship - - Security Clearance

Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

DottedEyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Citizneship - - Security Clearance

This not necessarily an immigration question, but since many of you may have dual citizenship I thought you might be able to answer this...

In your epxerience, is it possible for a dual citizen to obtain security clearance? I have scoured the web and found conflicting information, but in general it seems highly, highly unlikely (even when the other nationality is "friendly"). I am also aware that the only way to really know for certain is to request it and see.

But just out of curiosity, do any of you work in fields where this is a requirement and did you have problems? (Keep in mind, pre-2001 things were quite a bit different in terms of approvals.)

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizneship - - Security Clearance

What kind of security clearance?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Top Secret (for example).
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the type of clearance. I know someone who works for the US government who had to undergo a "security clearance" (not a secret clearance) and they obtained it in spite of having a foreign passport. For a higher level clearance (e.g. secret clearance), my understanding is that it depends on whether the foreign citizenship is "exercised" or not, e.g. by holding a foreign passport. See here.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:39 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

It also depends on whether the person is willing to give up the foreign citizenship. British citizenship can be regained after renouncing it - so renunciation is not irrevocable.
Also, some countries won't allow you to renounce citizenship (eg New Zealand) - and an argument can be made that one should not be penalized for having another state consider him a citizen against his will. Another issue is whether the US citizen has taken of oath of naturalization after becoming a US citizen.

Other countries are more lenient towards those with dual citizenship. The prime minister of greece for example is a US citizen and this issue was never even brought up.

Originally Posted by Marocco
It depends on the type of clearance. I know someone who works for the US government who had to undergo a "security clearance" (not a secret clearance) and they obtained it in spite of having a foreign passport. For a higher level clearance (e.g. secret clearance), my understanding is that it depends on whether the foreign citizenship is "exercised" or not, e.g. by holding a foreign passport. See here.

Last edited by dreamercon; Apr 12th 2010 at 4:41 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback. It is just such a strange predicament to be in. Certain organizations won't even consider employment unless you are a second generation US citizen! (So my kids wouldn't be able to work for these places... so odd. But then, they cannot be president either. However, Governor of California would be fine.)

These companes feel the pain too. As long ago as 2005 the biggies lobbied Congress to change the restrictions because they are in need of people, and there is just a complete lack of US-born/bred students/professionals graduating in these fields.

It's a shame. But I do understand the difficulties.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dreamercon
It also depends on whether the person is willing to give up the foreign citizenship. British citizenship can be regained after renouncing it - so renunciation is not irrevocable.
According to the link I have posted, renunciation of foreign citizenship does not appear to be necessary. What seems to be needed, according to the guidelines, is the surrender of all foreign passports (see here).
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:05 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

I recently got the application materials for a specialty position within the FBI and willingness to renounce any foreign citizenship is listed as a requirement to apply for the position.

Originally Posted by Marocco
According to the link I have posted, renunciation of foreign citizenship does not appear to be necessary. What seems to be needed, according to the guidelines, is the surrender of all foreign passports (see here).
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dreamercon
I recently got the application materials for a specialty position within the FBI and willingness to renounce any foreign citizenship is listed as a requirement to apply for the position.
That may well be the case, however the original question referred to obtaining security/secret clearance. There may be other requirements in addition to clearance which are specific to the organisation. Here in the UK, GCHQ also asks successful applicants who are dual citizens to renounce their non-British nationality.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Reality is that these situations are handled case by case. If you are willing to surrender your foreign passport (as opposed to your citizenship) that might help. In fact, it might help if you did this before seeking a security clearance.

At least for the UK, returning your passport with a polite note does not constitute renunciation of citizenship.

At the other extreme, you could formally renounce your citizenship and still be denied clearance, due to foreign ties, family, prior residence, etc.

If you think you might need a security clearance in future, it would probably help to allow your foreign passports to expire, not renew them (unless under some mandate from country of origin), and only use a US passport.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:38 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

We've had several threads on security clearances:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=clearance

While it is possible, it is also highly unlikely. I think it is very case-by-case basis, but in most cases "no you can't have a clearance".

Another way to put it is "if you have to ask, you aren't going to get it". While that's slightly cheeky what I mean by that is if the reasons you are getting a clearance for a job is because of what you know (i.e. you went to school with some tribal Afghan guy, or you were SAS and speak the language of some tribe where Osama is hiding) then you might have a better chance that say "I was looking through the want ads for a computer scientist with a security clearance. I'm a computer scientist."

Basically they are few and far between even if you are coming from the security world (military, defense contractor, etc).
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The following is from an ad by Sandia National Labs which normally requires a Q clearance (same as top secret).

Sandia National Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V. If this position requires a security clearance granted by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), U.S. citizenship and employee eligibility for clearance processing will be required at the time of hire. If you hold dual citizenship and accept a job offer for a position that requires a DOE-granted security clearance, you may be asked by DOE to renounce your foreign citizenship and retain only your U.S. citizenship.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice

Originally Posted by penguinsix
While it is possible, it is also highly unlikely. I think it is very case-by-case basis, but in most cases "no you can't have a clearance".

Another way to put it is "if you have to ask, you aren't going to get it".

This is extremely inaccurate advice.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice

Originally Posted by DottedEyes
In your epxerience, is it possible for a dual citizen to obtain security clearance?
Yes it is, entirely possible. In fact, clause 2-212 of the NISPOM allows for clearances up to Secret to be granted to non-U.S. citizens.

People will tell you some old guff about "renouncing" prior citizenships. Don't worry about it.

If you want more information, PM me.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
The following is from an ad by Sandia National Labs which normally requires a Q clearance (same as top secret).

Sandia National Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V. If this position requires a security clearance granted by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), U.S. citizenship and employee eligibility for clearance processing will be required at the time of hire. If you hold dual citizenship and accept a job offer for a position that requires a DOE-granted security clearance, you may be asked by DOE to renounce your foreign citizenship and retain only your U.S. citizenship.
As I'm sure you know, DOD and DOE clearances are totally independent of each other. I am looking into this exact issue right now.

- Tim

OP - is it DOD or DOE and TS, TS/SCI or lifestyle/poly that you are going for, just out of interest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.