Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizneship - - Security Clearance

Dual Citizneship - - Security Clearance

Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:47 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizneship - - Security Clearance

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
DOE clearances....

1. Polygraph is always an option: before, during, after. Experiences vary. Agents will travel to interview anyone of relevance for as far back in your history as it takes.

2. See benblaney's response. I will add nothing.

3. Typically, unclassified work is given. Processing takes anything from a few weeks to many years. Processing is not directly in the hands of the employer - switching to another DOE employer will not help.

4. Citizenship issues are on a case by case basis. There are clear ways of shooting yourself in the foot. However, I feel it inappropriate for me to comment in more detail.

A typical cost to the employer for the process: $60k. That should tell you something.
Depends on "Q" or "L" as to how much attention to your background they pay, right?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I'm glad to hear from others that it seems things are a not necessarily easier but not necessarily as "black and white/yes or no". Since we do hear from a number of folks on this board asking about clearances from time to time perhaps there is some hope for some of them.

Most of the clearances I've been involved in have been not for a specific project or a specific weapon system, but for a general US national security policy, mainly in the political world and sometimes the national security policy bureaucracy. In this realm, it's very rare to even have a foreign national employed (nearly everyone is a US government employee and US citizen) and for some of the positions things such as a foreign-born wife or extensive international family connections would render you highly suspect. Then there is "Yankee White" to use the popular (and maybe false) nickname, which is a pretty extreme level to say the least. I've been interviewed twice for people with positions basically at this level (not me, but former colleague and a high school classmate). Those were pretty extensive questions. The guy who carries the "Football" has to be Yankee White cleared as well.

Thanks again for all the replies.
That seems to be a generalization. The following were some that served in the Bush administration that have dual nationality.

Chief Advisor - Karl Rove
Attorney General - Michael Mukasey
Head of Homeland Security - Michael Chertoff
Chairman Pentagon's Defense Policy Board - Richard Perle
Deputy Defense Secretary - Paul Wolfowitz
Under Secretary of Defense - Douglas Feith
National Security Council Advisor - Elliott Abrams
Vice President Dick Cheney's Chief of Staff - "Scooter" Libby
White House Deputy Chief of Staff - Joshua Bolten
Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs - Marc Grossman
Director of Policy Planning at the State Department - Richard Haass
U.S. Trade Representative (Cabinet-level Position) - Robert Zoellick
Pentagon's Defense Policy Board - James Schlesinger
UN Representative - John Bolton

Henry Kissinger was in the Nixon/Ford administration.

Under Obama is Rahm Emanuel.

Under Carter was Zbigniew Brzezinski.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 15th 2010 at 6:57 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:33 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Cool list. Thanks for posting that.

It seems some of them are probably Israeli covered under the Law of Return (though I wonder how many have actually used an Israeli passport or even have one). I know Rahm Emanuel probably has given his military service. I don't know the full details of the Law of Return though. While all Jews are eligible for citizenship I thought they had to actually settle in Israel to get it?

I also wonder how many have been naturalized, i.e. US citizenship came second? Kissinger and Brzezinski were foreign born but not sure how many others.

On a more general point, and perhaps some might know, I was under the impression when I was interviewed on behalf of some of my friends that anything I said was available to be reviewed by the applicant under privacy laws / right of the applicant, etc. It's been a good number of years since I've been interviewed but I was wondering if that is still the case.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Cool list. Thanks for posting that.

It seems some of them are probably Israeli covered under the Law of Return (though I wonder how many have actually used an Israeli passport or even have one). I know Rahm Emanuel probably has given his military service. I don't know the full details of the Law of Return though. While all Jews are eligible for citizenship I thought they had to actually settle in Israel to get it?

I also wonder how many have been naturalized, i.e. US citizenship came second? Kissinger and Brzezinski were foreign born but not sure how many others.

On a more general point, and perhaps some might know, I was under the impression when I was interviewed on behalf of some of my friends that anything I said was available to be reviewed by the applicant under privacy laws / right of the applicant, etc. It's been a good number of years since I've been interviewed but I was wondering if that is still the case.
All of those listed under Bush are Israeli/US dual citizenship except for Karl Rove who has German/US dual citizenship.

Many complained about that because most if not all are also neo-cons.

I'm not sure if any of them were foreign born other than the ones you mentioned.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:12 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
All of those listed under Bush are Israeli/US dual citizenship except for Karl Rove who has German/US dual citizenship.
Really. Wow. How did Rove get that? Marriage?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Really. Wow. How did Rove get that? Marriage?
It appears that he probably doesn't have dual citizenship but just the left suggesting that he does. Sorry for the misinformation.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 6:25 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Depends on "Q" or "L" as to how much attention to your background they pay, right?
Yes, although either can take you back through your entire life if it seems interesting enough. More likely you'd get denied before it went that far.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

My Son is an Officer in the US Army he was born in UK but has US Father, had always had both passports. When he joined they asked him if he had a foreign passport at the time his UK one had expired so he said no. He has a TS clearance.