Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship - Passports

Wikiposts

Dual Citizenship - Passports

Old Feb 16th 2006, 3:35 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship - Passports

Originally Posted by JAJ
So the bottom line is that if your next child is born in the UK he or she will automatically be British, however if it's born outside the UK then you'll have to jump through some registration hoops pretty quickly (or move back to Britain later).

A lot of people miss these time limits, either because they don't get around to it or they think their child is British when it is not.

As far as the U.S. is concerned, your child is an American citizen, you may want to think about the pros and cons of becoming a U.S. citizen yourself before leaving the States. It is something you may find useful later on, eg if your child wants to live in the U.S. as an adult and you want to join him (or just spend extended visits, longer than the 3 months you get on the visa waiver). There are also tax issues (both positive and negative) to consider.
I've been told before (many times by FatBrit!!!) the benefits of becoming a US citizen, which I never wanted to do before, but it looks increasing like this will be the best way to make life easiest for us in the future. I still think it's a shame that people become citizens of a country they really don't want to be citizens of, but just do it to make life a little easier. Still seems silly to me, but hey, I don't make the rules, I just follow them!

Thanx again for the info.