Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship - Passports

Wikiposts

Dual Citizenship - Passports

Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:29 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship - Passports

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Dual citizenship is usually dependant on an agreement existing between the countries involved.
It often isn't allowed if one of the countries involved has compulsory national service eg if you had a thai bride and had a kid the kid cannot hold a Thai passport along with another one until they hit 18.
Yes, I heard that too. Britain & Australia = commonwealth, so that's okay. USA & Britain have an agreement. Apart from that I have no idea. I have often wondered whether my son can have all 3.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yes, I heard that too. Britain & Australia = commonwealth, so that's okay. USA & Britain have an agreement. Apart from that I have no idea. I have often wondered whether my son can have all 3.
Pretty much, they could if they meet requirements, I could have had an Austrian passport if I wanted to do military service at 18, told them to bog off, weren't EC then so even less worth having *l*
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:59 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Dual Citizenship - Passports

Yes.

There is a boy in my son's grade at school. His mother is English, his dad is a Kiwi and he was born in London but moved to the US when he was five.

He has passports for the UK and New Zealand (which means with a Kiwi passport he is able to live in Australia) and although currently a green card holder in the US, his parents have now applied for US citizenship which should come through in a few months.

This young man will have the world at his feet!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:05 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Cool - its certainly a big help anyway
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

with that many passports, he could pretend to be a spy
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I heard that too. Britain & Australia = commonwealth, so that's okay.
Not correct. Commonwealth means nothing in this respect. Some Commonwealth countries prohibit dual citizenship (eg Kenya, Singapore).

And even Australians who became British before 4.4.02 lost their Australian citizenship - it was Australia's law that changed, nothing to do with the Commonwealth.

USA & Britain have an agreement.

No such "agreement" exists. Dual citizenship is allowed because it is not specifically prohibited.

Jeremy
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:48 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Yes.

There is a boy in my son's grade at school. His mother is English, his dad is a Kiwi and he was born in London but moved to the US when he was five.

He has passports for the UK and New Zealand (which means with a Kiwi passport he is able to live in Australia) and although currently a green card holder in the US, his parents have now applied for US citizenship which should come through in a few months.

This is exactly what we want to do with our daughter. She was born in the UK and as I am a New Zealand national she too has dual nationality. I want to get her USC as well.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
This is exactly what we want to do with our daughter. She was born in the UK and as I am a New Zealand national she too has dual nationality. I want to get her USC as well.

However you need to know that as she's NZ 'by descent' she won't be able to pass on her citizenship to her own children (if they are also born outside NZ) unless she first moves to NZ and 'upgrades' to becoming a naturalised NZ citizen.
http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

Being born in the UK (from 1983 or later) is not enough to be British - one parent must be a British citizen or permanent resident.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:21 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

Tyler only has a US passport at the moment, but I'll be getting his British one while we are back home in May. Then I'll come back here & work on getting my Aussie one renewed, which probably involves a trip to California (watch out Cali peeps!). Then after I get that, I'll see about his Aussie one, so much to do!!!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:23 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not correct. Commonwealth means nothing in this respect. Some Commonwealth countries prohibit dual citizenship (eg Kenya, Singapore).

And even Australians who became British before 4.4.02 lost their Australian citizenship - it was Australia's law that changed, nothing to do with the Commonwealth.

No such "agreement" exists. Dual citizenship is allowed because it is not specifically prohibited.

Jeremy
Not sure what you're talking about, but I've been told all is well with my citizenships!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:33 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Tyler only has a US passport at the moment, but I'll be getting his British one while we are back home in May. Then I'll come back here & work on getting my Aussie one renewed, which probably involves a trip to California (watch out Cali peeps!). Then after I get that, I'll see about his Aussie one, so much to do!!!
You will only need an interview at a consular mission if your Aussie passport expired more than a year ago:

http://www.passports.gov.au/Web/renewal/index.aspx
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:40 am
Back where I belong!

You will only need an interview at a consular mission if your Aussie passport expired more than a year ago:

http://www.passports.gov.au/Web/renewal/index.aspx
Thanx for the info & link. I did look this up when I first got here & saw that I needed to go for an interview (closest was CA), plus the passport I had was a child's passport, which expired over a year ago. So I'll just have to go on a little trip to CA, which should be nice as I've never been there before.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 5:50 am
JAJ
Retired

Not sure what you're talking about, but I've been told all is well with my citizenships!

Have you verified what you were 'told' with an authoritative source?

If you naturalised as a citizen of another country (including the United Kingdom) before 4th April 2002 then you are generally no longer an Australian citizen and you will need to apply for resumption.

Other than that there is no problem with holding Australian citizenship (from Australia's point of view) alongside any other.

The other thing you need to know is that children born outside Australia to Australian citizens are *not* automatically Australian citizens themselves, until an application for Australian citizenship by descent is made and approved (form 118 with correct fee).

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Feb 11th 2006 at 6:02 am.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:19 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Tyler only has a US passport at the moment, but I'll be getting his British one while we are back home in May.
Why wait til then?

You can apply for it through the UK Embassy in D.C.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:05 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Why wait til then?

You can apply for it through the UK Embassy in D.C.
Can't be arsed! I have the UK passport forms here, so I'll just fill them out while I'm here & send them off once I get to England.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.