Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship - Passports

Dual Citizenship - Passports

Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

StephenBeddoes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Citizenship - Passports

I move from the UK to the USA. I have recently gained Citizenship to the USA and now hold an American Passport. Am I allowed to renew my British Passport that is due to expire soon?

Cheers.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:28 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship - Passports

Originally Posted by StephenBeddoes
I move from the UK to the USA. I have recently gained Citizenship to the USA and now hold an American Passport. Am I allowed to renew my British Passport that is due to expire soon?

Cheers.
Yes.

Are you military?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yes.

Are you military?

Not Military.

One of my reasons for asking the question is that the application form for a British passport renewal does state....
1. I have not preciously help a passport of any description, or been included in one other that the one I am applying for.
2. I have made no other application for a passport, other that that stated above.

Which technically I have by holding an American passport.

So I am a little confused.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:37 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Not Military.

One of my reasons for asking the question is that the application form for a British passport renewal does state....
1. I have not preciously help a passport of any description, or been included in one other that the one I am applying for.
2. I have made no other application for a passport, other that that stated above.

Hmmm, I have two passports (1 for the UK and 1 for NZ) - no problems here
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:41 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Not Military.

Passport in the above refers specifically to British passport.
Its to make sure that people don't have multiple copies that they, for example could sell to a third party.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
Hmmm, I have two passports (1 for the UK and 1 for NZ) - no problems here
Did you apply for your UK after you NZ PP?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Its to make sure that people don't have multiple copies that they, for example could sell to a third party.

That makes sense.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:57 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Davy Boy on this one, I think it's just with regards to British passports.

Also, the reason I ask about military is that I've heard (don't know how true it is) that when you are military, some countries make you denounce your other citizenship's.

PS - I too have dual nationality (British/Australian).
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:59 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense.
I know this because I hadn't used my passport for about 3 years and couldn't find it. When I went to apply for a new one I had to declare that I had lost my old one, even though it was one of the old red ones and had actually expired.
They double checked the references I gave them on the new application and subsequently explained what was going on when I phoned up to complain about the delay.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:01 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Partystar
I agree with Davy Boy on this one, I think it's just with regards to British passports.

Also, the reason I ask about military is that I've heard (don't know how true it is) that when you are military, some countries make you denounce your other citizenship's.

PS - I too have dual nationality (British/Australian).
Dual citizenship is usually dependant on an agreement existing between the countries involved.
It often isn't allowed if one of the countries involved has compulsory national service eg if you had a thai bride and had a kid the kid cannot hold a Thai passport along with another one until they hit 18.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:13 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Dual Citizenship - Passports

However in special circumstances you can hold two British passports. Here's a couple of examples:

If you have an Israeli stamp in your passport and wanted to travel to some certain Islamic countries eg. Saudi Arabia. They may choose not to admit a passport holder who has visited Israel, so you can have another UK passport ( I don't know if this is restricted on dates of validity though).

My English next-door neighbour in Singapore had to travel on business within Asia about 70% of the time. He needed to travel to Jakarta but his British passport was held up for processing at the Myanmar (Burmese) Embassy as he needed a visa to travel there also. He went to the British High Commission and got a second 10 year passport.

Obviously things could have changed recently with the introduction of the new biometric passports.....
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
If you have an Israeli stamp in your passport and wanted to travel to some certain Islamic countries eg. Saudi Arabia. They may choose not to admit a passport holder who has visited Israel, so you can have another UK passport ( I don't know if this is restricted on dates of validity though).
They normally stamp a piece of paper that is paperclipped into your passport if you say that you might travel to any other ME country.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:52 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
They normally stamp a piece of paper that is paperclipped into your passport if you say that you might travel to any other ME country.
That's what happened when I went to Cuba (which obviously isn't the ME); otherwise there'd be no entry into the US.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Most people visiting S.A. during the days of apartheid used to do this too.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
That's what happened when I went to Cuba (which obviously isn't the ME); otherwise there'd be no entry into the US.
That's cool...don't think my sister did that, as she's got a cuba stamp in her passport, weren't a problem with the US, but then her passport is so loaded with stamps...also made a nice little scrap book cover with paperclipped Israel stamps *l*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.