Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship for children born outside of U.S?

Dual Citizenship for children born outside of U.S?

Old Feb 27th 2006, 3:52 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Dual Citizenship for children born outside of U.S?

Hi everyone

I have a question regarding American citizenship for my wife and my future kids

Here is the situation, she is an American born and bread. I'm an Aussie/Brit (dual national) currently living in Wisconsin, USA. We are considering a move back to Australia, but my wife doesn't want to move because she believe that if we have our kid's downunder they will not be entitled to American citizenship.

So my question is, is that true? I know for instance if you are from the UK or Australia and have kids overseas you can claim citizenship for them in your country of birth. In the past this was only the case for the father of the child not the mother, but this changed recently in the UK.

So if we have our kids in Oz, will they have a right to US Citizenship?

James
Old Feb 27th 2006, 4:02 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship for children born outside of U.S?

Our situation is almost exactly the same. I'm an Aussie/Brit (dual nationality) too, my husband is American & we live here in the States now. Our son was born in England & has an American passport & birth certificate, he also has a right to an English & Australian passport too (we just haven't got them yet).

I'm hoping to move back to England or Australia in a few years too, but I promised my husband I'd give it a few years here, before making up my mind, so I will.

I'm sure JAJ will come & give you some helpful info.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on how you got citizenship...if your born in the UK to brit parents, and have kids aboard they can get UK citizenship...but if you were born aboard, you would have gotten it through decent, and thus wouldn't pass it on to your kids automatically.

As for the US, as long as your married, the kids should get it, though I you have to register the birth with a US consulate.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcjimbo
Hi everyone

Here is the situation, she is an American born and bread. I'm an Aussie/Brit (dual national) currently living in Wisconsin, USA. We are considering a move back to Australia, but my wife doesn't want to move because she believe that if we have our kid's downunder they will not be entitled to American citizenship.

So my question is, is that true? I know for instance if you are from the UK or Australia and have kids overseas you can claim citizenship for them in your country of birth. In the past this was only the case for the father of the child not the mother, but this changed recently in the UK.

James
I'm a Brit, OH is a USC, our boys were born in the UK, all you have to do is register the birth or your child at a US embassy. I can't remember how much it costs not a huge amount though. Not sure about Ozzie birth certificates but the US embassy wanted the long version of the British one and a couple of passport size photos (US passport size). I think that's it. Check on the US embassy website.

Also, it has to be done in person.

Annette
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Child born in wedlock to one U.S. citizen parent and one non U.S. citizen parent on or after November 14, 1986: A child born outside of the United States to one U.S. citizen parent and one non-U.S. citizen parent may be entitled to citizenship providing the U.S. citizen parent had been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years, at least two years of which were after s/he reached the age of fourteen. This period of physical presence must have taken place prior to the birth of the child.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:51 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Excellent thanks everyone! We are also going to give the U.S. another 2 years, unless things change drastically career wise i can see us moving back there. I appreciate your responses.

James
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcjimbo
Hi everyone

James
Yes, if the U.S. parent meets physical presence requirements in the U.S. Someone else has posted these. It's easier if there are *two* U.S. citizen parents - which begs the question, have you thought about the pros and cons of taking out U.S. citizenship yourself before you leave?

Also - how did you get your British and Australian citizenship? It may affect your children's claim to British or Australian citizenship, depending on where they are born and how you obtained citizenship yourself.