Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship

Dual Citizenship

Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

ivanbaba is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Dual Citizenship

Hello,

I'm Australian Citizen and living in USA for long time now. Finally US gov has decided to give me US Passport. I want to keep Aus Passport too.

Can you guys let me know what is the process to keep US / AUS passport!

Thanks,
Ivan
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship

Originally Posted by ivanbaba
Hello,

I'm Australian Citizen and living in USA for long time now. Finally US gov has decided to give me US Passport. I want to keep Aus Passport too.

Thanks,
Ivan
There is no process. You simply keep both.

Rene
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanbaba
Rene is right... there's nothing to do.

Australia determines who is or isn't an Australian citizen... not the US. The US has no interest in any other citizenship you might have.

You keep both passports.

I have 3 passports from different countries. One day, I might get a 4th.

Ian
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Rene is right... there's nothing to do.

Australia determines who is or isn't an Australian citizen... not the US. The US has no interest in any other citizenship you might have.

You keep both passports.

I have 3 passports from different countries. One day, I might get a 4th.

Ian
Thanks for the info guys...

Ian, looks like you love collecting passports..
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:47 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as Rene and Ian have mentioned, no issues.
When you have a US PP though, you'll need to use it to enter the US which means tickets from and returning to the US need to be booked on your US PP. No biggie, just something to highlight.

Welcome to the Dualie club!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Dual Citizenship

thanks mate.. I love your * Dualie * stuff.. cool..
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

At the US naturalization ceremony, you take the oath of allegiance:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen...."

This means absolutely nothing to Australia and many other countries. If you wish to renounce Australian citizenship, there's a completely separate procedure for that which is the domain of Australia - not the US. Australia couldn't care less how the US implements its naturalization ceremony or what oaths it makes you take. It has no bearing on your Australian citizenship. So you simply hold both citizenships.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 1:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
At the US naturalization ceremony, you take the oath of allegiance:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen...."

This means absolutely nothing to Australia and many other countries.
Although before April 4, 2002, an adult Australian (and children, in some cases) acquiring U.S. citizenship, or any other citizenship, generally lost Australian citizenship.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
When you have a US PP though, you'll need to use it to enter the US which means tickets from and returning to the US need to be booked on your US PP.
I book international flights all the time and have never needed to "book tickets on my US passport". There's no law requiring you to "book tickets on a US passport". The US doesn't care how you book tickets. They care only that you enter/leave using your US passport... and that is not the same thing!

Ian
Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

I agree with you Ian on ticket thing. You can use any passport to book ticket. All countries required valid visa/ passport to enter/ leave.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Although before April 4, 2002, an adult Australian (and children, in some cases) acquiring U.S. citizenship, or any other citizenship, generally lost Australian citizenship.
You could go back even further in time and find a slew of potential problems but, unless the OP has a Tardis, this is maybe interesting but definitely irrelevant. Australia allows its citizens to hold multiple citizenships. Same goes for the US.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:45 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I book international flights all the time and have never needed to "book tickets on my US passport". There's no law requiring you to "book tickets on a US passport". The US doesn't care how you book tickets. They care only that you enter/leave using your US passport... and that is not the same thing!

Ian
The airlines do, they get fined apparently. I got a royal bollocking from Continental for booking on my UK PP but for most people that have naturalized, they probably wouldn't ever know which is why it's probably never come up for you. My UK PP shows I was born in Florida so it gets questioned.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 6:40 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

The airlines do, they get fined apparently. I got a royal bollocking from Continental for booking on my UK PP but for most people that have naturalized, they probably wouldn't ever know which is why it's probably never come up for you. My UK PP shows I was born in Florida so it gets questioned.
Are you referring to the Advance Passenger Information you have to supply to the airline ahead of an inbound flight to the US? The most recent outbound flight I've booked (United, who merged with Continental) didn't require any passport info at all to book, and I don't think it was any of their business which passport I flashed at the check-in desk.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

The airlines do, they get fined apparently.
Their problem... not yours. That said, I'm not aware that passport information is ever asked for when booking tickets. The closest I've ever seen is a warning that you must have a valid passport to travel internationally.

Ian
Old Jul 14th 2012, 7:05 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Their problem... not yours. That said, I'm not aware that passport information is ever asked for when booking tickets.

Ian
Some airlines' websites give you the opportunity (should you wish to take it) of providing the API at time of booking - this would need to the US passport (in the case of a citizen). That said, it's not the same principle as requiring as passport to be able to make a booking (which you don't).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.