Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual citizenship?

Dual citizenship?

Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizenship?

The only "con" to citizenship is not being allowed to visit Cuba on vacation. My sis-in-law (in the UK) invited me to join her in a holiday in Cuba which I had to decline with much gnashing of teeth because I would have LOVED to have spent time there.
She said the place was fabulous.
GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 12:17 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

I presume you are referring to the 'work for the post office' part ... I was told by someone that you had to be a citizen for that; maybe I was wrong. I truly hope I'm never desperate enough to have to care!
Thats a pretty condecending kind of comment towards our mailmen and Post Office workers don't you think? What's the matter, you think the idea of working for something as lowly the USPS is beneath you?
I spoke to our mail lady when I first moved here and you might be surprised just how much they earn compared with a lot of other people in FL.
And yes, your hearsay information was wrong, an LPR can work for the USPS, and no, before you wonder... I don't.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:46 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would not have to become a US citizen to receive my SS in UK. So that is good to know. Thanks for copying and pasting the information from the Social Security website. I find it very difficult to read large blocks of type online due to a vision problem but breaking it all up I think I got the answers I was seeking.

Thanks for your help.

What happens to your right to Social Security payments when you are outside the U.S.?

If you are not a U.S. citizen or a citizen of one of the other countries listed above, your payments will stop after you have been outside the U.S. for six full calendar months unless you meet one of the following exceptions:

You were eligible for monthly Social Security benefits for December 1956; or
You are in the active military or naval service of the U.S.; or
The worker on whose record your benefits are based had railroad work which was treated as covered employment by the Social Security program; or
The worker on whose record your benefits are based died while in the U.S. military service or as a result of a service-connected disability and was not dishonorably discharged; or
You are a resident of a country with which the U.S. has a Social Security agreement. Currently, these countries are:
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Canada
Chile
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Korea (South)
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom

(This list of countries is subject to change from time to time. For the latest information, please visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov/intern...untrylist3.htm or contact your nearest U.S. Social Security office, U.S. Embassy or consulate.)
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Thats a pretty condecending kind of comment towards our mailmen and Post Office workers don't you think?
Not at all; I think you are looking for negatives where none exist. I've been working here for 25 years and am close to being able to retire. I'm truly hopeful that I won't have to consider a career change at my stage in life to any job that involves a fair amount of physical exertion - and yes, at a probable reduction in salary too.

Originally Posted by englishinfl
And yes, your hearsay information was wrong, an LPR can work for the USPS, and no, before you wonder... I don't.
Are you short of things to post? Bob already corrected my statement, and I posted a link to the Post Office 'job requirements' website, providing the exact wording - in order to correct my earlier post.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:01 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Are you short of things to post?
Very possibly, but even if I wasn't, it's always amusing to poke a bit of fun at your words, because you always take it so personally and so seriously
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isabel_7
I would not have to become a US citizen to receive my SS in UK. So that is good to know. Thanks for copying and pasting the information from the Social Security website. I find it very difficult to read large blocks of type online due to a vision problem but breaking it all up I think I got the answers I was seeking.

Thanks for your help.
The note at the end is what can be rather prudent, these things can change and the way things are going with the US economy, there's no guarantee that it won't change, being a USC will hopefully protect you from that being a issue to you.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The note at the end is what can be rather prudent, these things can change and the way things are going with the US economy, there's no guarantee that it won't change, being a USC will hopefully protect you from that being a issue to you.
This was part of my rationale for becoming a USC; I knew that, as an LPR I could stay here indefinitely, and have full access to all benefits ... but - what if the US govt. suddenly decides on a 'citizens first' initiative, restricting benefits from LPRs/etc. Not likely but - easy to protect against ($700 and a few forms and interviews).
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:58 am

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

This was part of my rationale for becoming a USC; I knew that, as an LPR I could stay here indefinitely, and have full access to all benefits ... but - what if the US govt. suddenly decides on a 'citizens first' initiative, restricting benefits from LPRs/etc. Not likely but - easy to protect against ($700 and a few forms and interviews).

Possibly, but to my thinking highly unlikely.
But I am still chewing on it all ...