Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual citizenship?

Dual citizenship?

Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:33 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual citizenship?

Forgive me if this has been approached on the threads before. I am a British citizen and have been living and working for over 25 years in USA.

I have never wanted to apply for US citizenship as I was under the impression that to do so I would have to relinquish my British passport. Am I mis-informed?

I am also concerned that somewhere on this site there is information that I read stating I might not be able to receive my SS if I go back to UK if I am not a USC. This is important to me as I am giving serious consideration of moving back to UK after retirement ( approx. within the next 2 years).

Thank you in advance for any light you might be able to shed on this "dual citizenship" for me.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:36 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizenship?

Originally Posted by Isabel_7
Am I mis-informed?
yes
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I have never wanted to apply for US citizenship as I was under the impression that to do so I would have to relinquish my British passport.
Not correct. The UK doesn't care if you become a US citizen. The US doesn't care that you are still a UK citizen.

Been discussed here hundreds of times. If you search the forum for "dual citizenship" you'll turn up a lot of information.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me if this has been approached on the threads before. I am a British citizen and have been living and working for over 25 years in USA.

I have never wanted to apply for US citizenship as I was under the impression that to do so I would have to relinquish my British passport. Am I mis-informed?

I am also concerned that somewhere on this site there is information that I read stating I might not be able to receive my SS if I go back to UK if I am not a USC. This is important to me as I am giving serious consideration of moving back to UK after retirement ( approx. within the next 2 years).

Thank you in advance for any light you might be able to shed on this "dual citizenship" for me.

My husband is a dual citizen. You do not give up your UK citizenship when you become a US cit.

As far as SS is concerned, I'm not quite sure but you may be right. When you become a citizen, you have to inform Social Security Admin because you now have access to additional benefits that you do not as an LPR (which may include retirement benefits).
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Not correct. The UK doesn't care if you become a US citizen. The US doesn't care that you are still a UK citizen.

Been discussed here hundreds of times. If you search the forum for "dual citizenship" you'll turn up a lot of information.

I have never participated in an online forum before so I was ignorant about the search element. I shall try rectifying that right now.

Thank you for your response.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I have never participated in an online forum before so I was ignorant about the search element. I shall try rectifying that right now.

It takes a while to get the hang of searching; use the 'search this forum' box at the top right side of the topic list for starters.
Or, you'll probably find all you need in the wiki entries!

Pros and Cons to Getting US Citizenship

Naturalization - US Citizenship Resources

Last edited by meauxna; Feb 10th 2009 at 5:09 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
It takes a while to get the hang of searching; use the 'search this forum' box at the top right side of the topic list for starters.
Or, you'll probably find all you need in the wiki entries!

Pros and Cons to Getting US Citizenship

Naturalization - US Citizenship Resources
This was kind of you, thanks.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The search facility is located at the pink bar at the top of the page. Click on this...then click on advanced search. Top left hand side of the page...type in something like UK/US citizenship or dual citizenship...select either posts or thread. Then go a little lower down on the right hand side of the page. Scroll down and click on the US forums...now press the search tab.

Please come back and ask...or drop me a PM if you need any further assistance...the search facility can be a little tricky for new members.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The SS thing, I think only US citizens can claim the money aboard, so it would be worth sorting out.

You'd have to file taxes for 10 years after giving up your LPR status anyway being in the US for as long as you have so you've got nothing to lose by getting citizenship
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:46 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
you've got nothing to lose by getting citizenship
Apart from the money it costs to file for it in the first place, you mean?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Apart from the money it costs to file for it in the first place, you mean?
It's not a loss if you're getting something now, is it?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:02 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It's not a loss if you're getting something now, is it?
A grand for a passport seems like a lot of money to me
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
true, but then if moving away doesn't pan out as planned, could well find yourself in a pickle trying to get back...
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:07 pm

A grand for a passport seems like a lot of money to me [/QUOTE]

It seems like a lot of money to me as well but I am going to pursue it nonetheless. The main reason being to safeguard my social security. I have paid into it for years and do not want to leave it behind if I do go back to UK for good. But one step at a time ...

Thanks for the Wiki pointers to those who put up that information.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:29 pm
Banned

It seems like a lot of money to me as well but I am going to pursue it nonetheless. The main reason being to safeguard my social security. I have paid into it for years and do not want to leave it behind if I do go back to UK for good. But one step at a time ...
.[/QUOTE]

Fair comment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.