Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship

Dual Citizenship

Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

UKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud of
Default Dual Citizenship

My son was born in the UK, so has a British birth cert. He was registered at the US embassy in London and my hubby got him a US passport.
So he is actually British as he was born there, but has a US passport. Does anyone know if he can be both or how that works. He is 9 now and has been here since he was 3 months old. (long story)
Cheers in advance.

UKgirl
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dual Citizenship

Originally Posted by UKgirl
My son was born in the UK, so has a British birth cert. He was registered at the US embassy in London and my hubby got him a US passport.
So he is actually British as he was born there, but has a US passport. Does anyone know if he can be both or how that works. He is 9 now and has been here since he was 3 months old. (long story)
Cheers in advance.

UKgirl
As far as the US is concerned he is a USC.

As far as UK is concerned he can be both. Not why he would want to enter UK as a USC, but he could.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers in advance.

UKgirl
Yep - he can be both. Presumably you registered his birth in the UK and have a UK birth certificate - in which case getting a UK Passport is straight forward. UK doesn't care what other "affiliations" you have so its fine that he has a US passport.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 10:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, he's all set being dual...and bonus of being born in the UK, if he then has kids abroad in the future, they'll be British by decent as well.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

UKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud of

Thanks for that.

He does have a Brit birth certificate, but I never thought about getting him a Brit passport. Whenever we go over there he is with me and my British one so we have no probs getting through.
One thing though he is disappointed he can't run for US President.
Hmm maybe that will change over time in case Arnie decides to go for it.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

He can go for Prime Minister, so not all bad news.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
He can go for Prime Minister, so not all bad news.
This is very true.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.

He does have a Brit birth certificate, but I never thought about getting him a Brit passport. Whenever we go over there he is with me and my British one so we have no probs getting through.
One thing though he is disappointed he can't run for US President.
In fact he almost certainly could run for US President. If he got his US citizenship at birth from his father, then he is still considered a "natural born" US citizen rather than a "naturalized" citizen.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
In fact he almost certainly could run for US President. If he got his US citizenship at birth from his father, then he is still considered a "natural born" US citizen rather than a "naturalized" citizen.
I'm pretty sure he would have to be born in one of the 50 US states to qualify for President.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 8th 2007 at 2:53 am.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm pretty sure they have to be born in one of the 50 US states to qualify for President.
And with respect, your reference for that is .... ?

A definitive ruling could only be given by the Supreme Court if the issue was challenged (it never has been before) but most legal opinion is of the view that anyone automatically a US citizen at birth is "natural born" and place of birth is irrelevant.

There have been Presidential candidates born outside the US states, most recently Senator John McCain:
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html#president
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
That is really interesting. I have always been under the impression one had to be born in the United States as Jerseygirl believes too, to run for President.
His documents shown US Citizen born abroad.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:03 am
JAJ
Retired

That is really interesting. I have always been under the impression one had to be born in the United States as Jerseygirl believes too, to run for President.
His documents shown US Citizen born abroad.
You can choose to believe whomever you please and there is no definitive answer. But as I say, most legal opinion is that a person born abroad who automatically acquires US citizenship at birth cannot (by definition) be "naturalized" and hence must be a "natural born" citizen.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Interesting topic.

You child would also have to move to the United states on his 21st birthday to be able to become president at the earliest opportunity. Clause 5, Article 2 of the constitution says that he must be at least 35 and have been a resident of the United States for the last 14 years!!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers in advance.

UKgirl
My son was born in UK, my USC wife got him a US passport when he was 2 weeks old. We then moved to USA, trips back to UK were on his US passport. When he was 17 yrs old, I UKC (Now dual), applied to the British Embassy Washington & got him his 1st UK Passport.
Had to send in my UK Passport, my birth cert, marriage Cert, sons birth cert, sons passport that he entered the US on when he first came here.
Think that was all?????
Reg. Frank R.