Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual citizen wishing to move to USA

Dual citizen wishing to move to USA

Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all
Default Re: Dual citizen wishing to move to USA

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Agreed; it's seen as a 'neutral' passport and as such much prized by journalists and NGO workers. Post-nuptial Irish citizenship is no longer available but Irish citizenship has the distinct advantage of being able to be passed on indefinitely regardless of place of birth in contrast to both British and US citizenship.

This is perhaps getting a little off topic from the original post, but just a word of warning: If you qualify for Irish citizenship by descent (ie. through a grandparent, as is my case) then apply for it sooner than later! I am only just applying for it after having my first child, and disappointed to learn that she won't qualify to receive Irish citizenship as she was born after my registration to the foreign birth register.

She qualifies for a UK passport but won't be able to pass it on to future generations unless they are born in the UK, unlike an Irish passport which, as mentioned above, can be passed on indefinitely.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 7:32 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizen wishing to move to USA

Originally Posted by deng890
This is perhaps getting a little off topic from the original post, but just a word of warning: If you qualify for Irish citizenship by descent (ie. through a grandparent, as is my case) then apply for it sooner than later! I am only just applying for it after having my first child, and disappointed to learn that she won't qualify to receive Irish citizenship as she was born after my registration to the foreign birth register.

She qualifies for a UK passport but won't be able to pass it on to future generations unless they are born in the UK, unlike an Irish passport which, as mentioned above, can be passed on indefinitely.
Definitely worth mentioning. Each generation has to be registered before the next one is born or the 'chain' is broken.