Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual citizen wishing to move to USA

Dual citizen wishing to move to USA

Old Jan 29th 2018, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizen wishing to move to USA

It's a bit out of date now (there is no longer an IRS office at the London embassy now, for instance, you have to file direct with the IRS in the US), but the Taxes filing with the US IRS in London British Expats Wiki page is still quite a useful guide, especially in regard of what forms need to be filed and what to put in them.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 3:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
It's a bit out of date now (there is no longer an IRS office at the London embassy now, for instance, you have to file direct with the IRS in the US), but the Taxes filing with the US IRS in London British Expats Wiki page is still quite a useful guide, especially in regard of what forms need to be filed and what to put in them.
As there is currently (tax year 2017), a foreign earned income exemption of $102,000, I suspect that it is highly unlikely that the OP will actually have any tax to pay!
Old Jan 29th 2018, 4:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As there is currently (tax year 2017), a foreign earned income exemption of $102,000, I suspect that it is highly unlikely that the OP will actually have any tax to pay!
True, but if one comes here to study and was looking for any grants etc to help off set those kind of costs, there is usually a requirement that one has at least filed regardless.

To the OP, definitely worth looking into whatever the state requirements are to be certified to do what ever you are interested in doing.

If your goal is to move to the US and what you're studying is going to be worthless in the states you are looking at, so that you would have to start from scratch, then you might as well save yourself the time and money by rethinking things now.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

GRZEB1S is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the responses, you've been very helpful and given me a lot to consider. I'll continue with my diploma because electricity distribution isn't going to be vastly different in the US, other than domestic supplies being half the voltage, the method(s) of delivery and principles are the same. I'm not saying at all that it's going to stand me in good stead but I can continue saving money and it's better than no further education at all.
On initial analysis of your responses, I've got a sinking feeling I'm going to be pretty SOL getting a job in the same industry I'm currently working in...I check from time to time, all the distributor's websites for the states I'm interested in and nada. And I find the idea of packing up with no job waiting for me extremely scary and (for me) idealistic. I do feel miserable in my life here (for many reasons) so maybe a smaller salary in a much brighter place would be worth the trade-off...but I don't want to be naïve!
Also, are health insurance payments in the US akin in any way, shape or form to our national insurance contributions in terms of additional monthly deductions?
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

And I've only carried out some cursory searches but I don't think my diploma is gonna mean squat in the US.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GRZEB1S
Also, are health insurance payments in the US akin in any way, shape or form to our national insurance contributions in terms of additional monthly deductions?
No
Old Jan 29th 2018, 6:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And I've only carried out some cursory searches but I don't think my diploma is gonna mean squat in the US.
No, I didn't think it would. However, it holds you in good stead employment wise in the UK as that is where you are currently residing, that is what matters most at the moment.

You can always think about what you might want to pursue as a career here in the US. You are young and intelligent and a USC. The door is open to you so check out what employment options you might want to pursue or perhaps attend college in the US. After residing in an area for a period of 3 months to 1 year you would qualify for lower tuition at a community college and a higher degree could be yours. Oft times, one must work at something you don't particularly want to do in order to reach an end goal.

As for healthcare insurance, nothing like the UK. However, with little financial resources you probably would qualify for a state run program or Medicaid for a while until you are on your feet with a job, and if lucky healthcare offered by your employer.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 6:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No, NI contributions counterpart in the US is Social Security taxes. .... Health insurance premiums are something entirely additional to what you pay in the UK.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 7:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the responses, you've been very helpful and given me a lot to consider. I'll continue with my diploma because electricity distribution isn't going to be vastly different in the US, other than domestic supplies being half the voltage, the method(s) of delivery and principles are the same. I'm not saying at all that it's going to stand me in good stead but I can continue saving money and it's better than no further education at all.
Sure, the knowledge is the same, but you might be required to study from scratch over here, if you want to be certified to work in a particular state. That was what I was getting at. So it's worth a lot more research now because there is no point studying it in the UK, just to have to redo it over here to get certified. Each state will have different requirements.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

There's so much good advice and information, I really appreciate it and I'm taking it all in!
I think I could definitely get myself a job as a dispatcher because I have a lot of experience! Just not necessarily for the electricity board. I see several positions for 911 dispatchers so that would be a good way to get on my feet, though the intensity level would certainly be kicked up a notch.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 8:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There's so much good advice and information, I really appreciate it and I'm taking it all in!
I think I could definitely get myself a job as a dispatcher because I have a lot of experience! Just not necessarily for the electricity board. I see several positions for 911 dispatchers so that would be a good way to get on my feet, though the intensity level would certainly be kicked up a notch.
Depends on the state and city you are hoping to live in. Now if you wanted to be a 911 operator in New York City, then yes, there is going to be a great deal of stress.

Unless you know where you want to live, then use the next few years to further yourself in the UK and vacation in the US and look around various states and cities. You'll find your place.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Its probably safe to say craft qualifications like a Diploma are not very transferable, a degree is.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 12:40 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

As a US citizen, a few things:

1) you have to file US taxes every year. You won't necessarily owe any money, but you will have to go through the paperwork exercise of filing. In fact, if you haven't yet, you probably need to catch up.

2) FBAR. If you have >$10,000 USD in a bank account (or combination of accounts) you need to file a Bank Account disclosure every year.

3) FATCA. If you have more than ~$250,000 USD in the bank or other accounts you have to file another form.

4) When you enter the USA you need to do so on your US passport, not your Ireland passport.

If you want to start hunting for a job in the USA, one suggestion is to get a USA-based Skype phone number that will ring on your computer in Ireland. People will see a USA number and be more inclined to call than an international one. Also if you can get a USA mailing address (uncle, cousin, etc) and use that for the resume it can help.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Is this what you do?

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/production/p...hers.htm#tab-1

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/office-and-a...ispatchers.htm

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes435032.htm

Last edited by jeepster; Jan 30th 2018 at 3:07 am.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Another option to at least check out is military. Air Force is not that different than civilian job, free health care, job training plus GI bill to help pay for future college. Chance to see much of US during enlistment which is four years.
I joined Air Force out of high school in 1966/67 with the idea of later using GI bill for college which I did. I followed this with a full scholarship from Navy for dental school. Stayed in reserves and retired. In short I got a govt check to attend college for nine years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.