British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dual citizen wishing to move to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dual-citizen-wishing-move-usa-908527/)

GRZEB1S Jan 28th 2018 9:20 am

Dual citizen wishing to move to USA

Morning all!
I'm 24 and I was born and raised in the UK (Irish mother and American father). In addition to my UK passport I also have a US passport which I suppose I had an automatic right to because my Dad is a US citizen.
My question is what process would I need to follow if I wanted to move to the US and establish residency? I really struggle to find information relating to my circumstances - for example if I want to apply for jobs or submit tenancy applications being a US citizen but not yet (and never was) a resident?
It's not something I'm in a position to do right now - I'm currently getting a diploma in electrical engineering through my employer which will be at least two years, part time. And I don't yet have a sufficient amount of money saved (I have no idea what figure I should be aiming for?). I would have to rent rather than buy.
I would love to move to a State that has a hot climate year-round but also a reasonable cost of living...I had my eye on Arizona, though it's probably just a pipe-dream! But any advice would be much appreciated - you would be answering questions I have pondered for years!
Thank you :)

Noorah101 Jan 28th 2018 11:28 am

Re: Dual citizen wishing to move to USA

There is nothing special you would need to do. You are a USC and have the right to live and work in the USA anytime you wish.

You should know that as a USC, you are required to file a US tax return and report worldwide income each year. You most likely won't owe any tax, but you are supposed to file.

Rene

Rete Jan 28th 2018 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by GRZEB1S (Post 12429065)
Morning all!
I'm 24 and I was born and raised in the UK (Irish mother and American father). In addition to my UK passport I also have a US passport which I suppose I had an automatic right to because my Dad is a US citizen.

Just to clarify your comment. You did not get a US passport just because your father is a US citizen. You had the right to get a US Passport because your birth father was able to pass his US citizenship on to you at your birth. Not all people with US Citizenship have the ability to pass on US citizenship to their children.

All you need to do is move to the US whenever you want. Nothing needs to be done or said to the US Government. Rene has told you about your requirement to file US taxes on worldwide income.

rpjs Jan 28th 2018 12:25 pm

Legally you could get on a plane today and move to the US. Practically, if you don’t have a US social security number, like a National Insurance number, then you should apply for one from the US embassy, and it would probably be a good idea to get your US tax filings up to date; you’re very unlikely to owe any actual tax to the US. In terms of how much money you’d need realistically to get started, well typically apartment rentals require three months’ rent up front (first and last month and a month’s-worth as a deposit). However, with no US credit history you might be required to pre-pay more, maybe 6 months’, a year’s if you’re unlucky.

If your mother is Irish-born (north or south) be aware that you are also an Irish citizen so you’ll continue to have access to the EU no matter what happens with Brexit.

Don’t say this is a pipe-dream. As an actual US citizen you are in a far more realistic position to move to the US than a lot of the people who pop up here with such ambitions from time to time.

carcajou Jan 28th 2018 1:06 pm

The procedure is, when your flight lands in the US, you hand your American Passport to the Immigration Officer.

On all forms and applications you tick "yes" for "US Citizen."

Rete Jan 28th 2018 1:18 pm

One thing I noted was that you are 24 and going for a diploma in electrical engineering through your employer. Depending on what you mean by an electrical engineer, I don't know if this skill is transferrable in the US and will allow you to use that skill for employment in the US without additional schooling or trade classes. Perhaps you might want to expand on what this skill set is applicable to in terms of employment.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 28th 2018 1:49 pm

Have you signed up for Selective Service?

Rete Jan 28th 2018 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12429161)
Have you signed up for Selective Service?

:goodpost:

Forgot about that and he is only 24 so he has to sign up.

GRZEB1S Jan 28th 2018 4:54 pm

Hi all!
Wow thank you for your informative responses! I did not realise I had to file a US tax return so I'll go to my Dad as soon as I can to get advice about that as I really don't know how much I have earned in the last seven years (I'm 25 in April).

So judging by your responses, as I don't have to go through any lengthy procedure, my biggest hurdle would be applying for jobs and convincing the employer not only that I'm worthy of employment but that it wouldn't be a huge headache hiring me! I obviously couldn't make the move until I secured a job. If I found myself fortunate enough to land a job in a state with a low cost of living index I may have enough savings for a down payment on my own apartment. It *seems* much more affordable than here in the UK. But I understand it's all relative and I earn a pretty good salary for where I live and being that it's unskilled work (I do not have a degree).

I do have a social security number so that's good. As for the diploma, I should have clarified; I work as a dispatcher for the electricity company (I really enjoy it). And because I speak to the field personnel regularly my employer is paying for me to undertake a diploma - the natural progression in my company is to the position of controller where you, in a nutshell, authorise or decline permission to carry out switching/linking on the network. I would have to pay my company back should I leave within 2 years of completion. I know the distribution network is probably quite different in the US but hopefully electrical/engineering principles would still translate? 😕 I don't really know what to expect as I don't have a degree, whether I would realistically find a decent job. I think I have a lot to offer but I know there are plenty of out-of-work Americans who also have a lot they could contribute given the opportunity.

As for selective service; heard, understood, acknowledged 😂 Also, I'm female.
Thanks!!

Caroline in Arizona Jan 28th 2018 6:39 pm

Arizona definitely fits the bill as a place with a hot climate year-round and a reasonable cost of living. It gets colder further north in the winter. You can snow-ski and water-ski in the same day if you so choose! Good luck with your decision making!

rpjs Jan 28th 2018 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by GRZEB1S (Post 12429240)
So judging by your responses, as I don't have to go through any lengthy procedure, my biggest hurdle would be applying for jobs and convincing the employer not only that I'm worthy of employment but that it wouldn't be a huge headache hiring me!

You'd be no more or less a headache than any other US citizen.

I obviously couldn't make the move until I secured a job
That might be the show-stopper then: most US employers will just toss an application from someone overseas, even if they do have US citizenship.

As for selective service; heard, understood, acknowledged 😂 Also, I'm female.
Then you don't need to register - it's for men only. There have been some noises about changing this, but it's unlikely to happen any time soon.

retzie Jan 28th 2018 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by GRZEB1S (Post 12429240)
I don't really know what to expect as I don't have a degree, whether I would realistically find a decent job.

You will find that the US is pretty college-degree-obsessed. The minimum qualification for a lot of jobs is an Associate degree, which is possibly something like what you are undertaking now. As part of your background research, you will want to understand if/how your current studies will transfer over. If your program can be certified as equivalent (see services like WES), you may very well be landing with "an Associate's degree or equivalent". If not, your plan to move may need to feature some time at college. It's not all bad news, though - there's a reasonable chance of getting some credits for the study you have already completed.

As others have said, you have very little chance of picking up a job from the UK. Is there any possibility of an extended stay in the US? A month or two in AZ would go a long way in helping you feel out the living situation, talk to colleges, get some interviews under your belt, etc. You would be able to take on temporary work to support yourself while doing this.

Since no one else has said it: please read up on health insurance in this country. It is not in any way comparable to private health insurance in the UK and is potentially a very big factor in your line of work (broadly speaking, the higher up the qualification chain you go, the more likely you are to get a sweet deal from your employer). Personally, I consider this to be a deal-breaker topic, so you will want to establish in advance where your comfort zone lies, and find out if you have a chance of getting a job within it.

Overall, the move is eminently do-able immigration-wise, but the reality of day-to-day living here may make it less than desirable. Instead of thinking about a permanent move, perhaps you can think of it as a year abroad? After that, you should be in a good position to decide where you want to be long-term.

BritInParis Jan 29th 2018 12:01 am

If your mother was born on the island of Ireland and you were born in the UK then it would be smart to ensure you have all three valid passports before you depart (British, Irish, US). You seem to already have a valid British and US passport so that leaves your Irish passport. Not that you couldn't apply for it from the US but it if's a first time application then it is likely to be much easier to do it from the UK with your mother close to hand to help you with the relevant documentation. After that it would be simply a case of renewing it when it expires. An Irish passport will be useful if you want to work in the EU/EEA post-Brexit and you will often find that an Irish passport will mean cheaper visa fees for certain countries when compared to a British or US passport.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 29th 2018 12:50 am

I have no idea what that position in the US would require, but you could certainly find out.

The general view on here is that it is much easier to get a job once you are here.

There seem to be lots of jobs available without qualification, I have noticed the competency in Home Depot has gone down and they are hiring, a sure sign.

carcajou Jan 29th 2018 12:39 pm

It is very hard to get a job unless you are on-the-ground. That can be true, even for those already in the US, trying to move from one city to another.

Get your tax situation sorted, but I suspect you won't owe anything. The US has what is called a "foreign earned income exclusion" and I don't believe you've been doing things like renting out a house in Chicago or earning dividends from stocks. Read up on tax situation and I would hire a US-UK tax attorney to deal with the situation, and then handle it on your own in the future.

You can also do what many Americans your age do, get a job at a coffee shop or waiting tables and work your way up.