Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen & Visa Waiver Program

Dual Citizen & Visa Waiver Program

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:41 am
Just Joined

gdev77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dual Citizen & Visa Waiver Program

Thanks everyone for your feed back. Okay, this is what i'm gonna do... I'll fly back to Vancouver and hand in my I-94W on the way. Then probably about a week later after catching up with some friends and maybe working a bit (i'll still have my work visa there), I'll get a bus from Vancouver to Seattle and hopefully get a new I-94W at the border. I'll also have my airline ticket booked from Seattle to Europe (for proof of ongoing travel). Does anyone see a problem with this? It seems okay to me, but Customs is always a bit scary and confusing and makes you feel like you've done something wrong..
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gdev77
Thanks everyone for your feed back. Okay, this is what i'm gonna do... I'll fly back to Vancouver and hand in my I-94W on the way. Then probably about a week later after catching up with some friends and maybe working a bit (i'll still have my work visa there), I'll get a bus from Vancouver to Seattle and hopefully get a new I-94W at the border. I'll also have my airline ticket booked from Seattle to Europe (for proof of ongoing travel). Does anyone see a problem with this? It seems okay to me, but Customs is always a bit scary and confusing and makes you feel like you've done something wrong..
How long will it be before you fly back?
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you find customs...I assume you mean immigration...scary? If you've done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide there shouldn't be a problem.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
How long will it be before you fly back?
Probably a week or so.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why do you find customs...I assume you mean immigration...scary? If you've done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide there shouldn't be a problem.
Sorry, yes i meant immigration, customs have always been fine. I've travelled throughout europe and australia and haven't had to deal with immigration before. But my experiences so far in Canada and the USA have surprised me with how unfriendly the officials have been, and how aggressively they question you (i'm sure they need to be, but it still surprised me). And as I said, it makes me feel like I've done something wrong, not that I have. That's why I'm posting on this forum... to make sure I'm not doing the wrong thing before I go through immigration as I'd hate to see what would happen if I was breaking the rules.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 3:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, yes i meant immigration, customs have always been fine. I've travelled throughout europe and australia and haven't had to deal with immigration before. But my experiences so far in Canada and the USA have surprised me with how unfriendly the officials have been, and how aggressively they question you (i'm sure they need to be, but it still surprised me). And as I said, it makes me feel like I've done something wrong, not that I have. That's why I'm posting on this forum... to make sure I'm not doing the wrong thing before I go through immigration as I'd hate to see what would happen if I was breaking the rules.
I am a UK citizen...US GC holder and have crossed the US/Canadian border by road dozens of times and have never had a problem.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CPW
Ozzidoc, are you ever questioned on entry to the US about your other passport, as a result of information gleaned from the computer records? I travel to the US on my British passport but it would sometimes be simpler to use my Australian passport (e.g. if I am travelling to Australia after leaving the US), but I have tried to stick to just one passsport - so I'd be interested to learn if you've ever had any problems?
They usually just ask "when was the last time you were here?" or "when else have you been in the US?". That's when I use my UK PP - dont get those questions when I use my Aussie one.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 11:30 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I assume this is to stop people from just continually crossing the border and coming back for another 90 days.
Which is what you're trying to do, right? Hmm...

~ Jenney