Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual citizen with two passports...

Dual citizen with two passports...

Old Dec 24th 2014, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizen with two passports...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The question is "Why did you get the visa in your British passport in the first place?" .... You could also have shown the airline check-in desk both passports noting that your visa is in the British one, but that US Law requires you to "leave the US using your US passport."
Yes, I could have done. A year or so ago someone here or another expat site was going to Brazil and posed the question of getting a visa in his UK passport because it was cheaper than getting a US visa. The response was to go with the cheapest visa, and carry your US passport with you.

In my case to get a 6 month visa for Australia meant sending off the passport and I'd rather hang onto my US passport while living in the USA. 3-month visas are electronic so I'd have done that on my US passport if the trip had been less than 3 months. (There was also an electronic visa that was valid for 12 months but you had to leave every 3 months which was obviously more expensive than buying a 6 month tourist visa).
Old Dec 25th 2014, 5:00 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
No airline has ever objected to me showing my UK passport at check-in at a US airport for a UK bound flight (as well as having my UK passport details in the booking).
IATA requires the use of passport books, it can be a passport book from anywhere as Pulaski pointed out though US law requires the use of your US passport to enter the US.

Originally Posted by gozit
Book flights on US passport
Check in US passport when leaving US
Use UK passport to enter UK
Check in for flight back to US with US passport
Exit UK on UK passport if you go through exit controls (usually that's a no)
Re-enter US on US passport.
Yeah, you have to do this, because if you've got a return ticket the passport number is on it, so the check-in agent will match it with the manifest, which means you have to use the same passport for check-in at both ends. There's no real way around it, given ESTA.

The same will be true of Canada shortly when CeTA or whatever it's going to be called comes into force in April.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 10:53 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

New border controls could penalise Britons with dual nationality - Telegraph
Old Dec 25th 2014, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, that is just perfect!!

Thanks for posting the article, why don't they think through all the options when they design these systems?
Old Dec 25th 2014, 5:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, that is just perfect!!

Thanks for posting the article, why don't they think through all the options when they design these systems?
None of these systems are set up for dual nationals. As it stands you'll already have difficulties as a dual US/Australian citizen travelling from, say, Sydney to Los Angeles as both countries require their citizens to enter and leave on their respective passports.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
None of these systems are set up for dual nationals. As it stands you'll already have difficulties as a dual US/Australian citizen travelling from, say, Sydney to Los Angeles as both countries require their citizens to enter and leave on their respective passports.
Exactly. Daughter's SO is dual Australian and USC, and is currently in Adelaide visiting family.

I'll forward this article onto him after he gets back, don't want to spoil his fun. He was in Australia last month as well, on business, and is another person I know who gives the airline his Oz passport details on the way to Oz from his home in Santa Monica, and uses his US passport when flying back, but presents his Oz passport when leaving Oz as they do have border control and you have an exit card to complete.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

With all due respect, the article does come off a bit aggressive, implying that British/EU nationals who have their foreign details on their plane ticket will only be allowed to stay in the UK on tourist terms, which is untrue. One simply needs to present their UK passport to the UKBA officer or the ePassport machine upon entering the UK. The person is a UK citizen and there is no restricting or refuting of that. All you need to do is use the UK passport when entering UK.

As with the Canadian eTa, since Canada does not have a requirement that i use my Cdn passport to enter/leave Canada like the US does, I still book my flights on my Maltese passport and if the airline requests upon check in, I show them, along with my Maltese passport
a) My Canadian passport
b) My [wallet sized] Ontario Birth certificate which is legal proof of Canadian citizenship.

Upon reentering Canada, regardless, I just use my Canadian passport in the machines at Toronto Pearson airport / show the CBSA agent my Canadian passport.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I could have done. A year or so ago someone here or another expat site was going to Brazil and posed the question of getting a visa in his UK passport because it was cheaper than getting a US visa. The response was to go with the cheapest visa, and carry your US passport with you.

In my case to get a 6 month visa for Australia meant sending off the passport and I'd rather hang onto my US passport while living in the USA. 3-month visas are electronic so I'd have done that on my US passport if the trip had been less than 3 months. (There was also an electronic visa that was valid for 12 months but you had to leave every 3 months which was obviously more expensive than buying a 6 month tourist visa).
Yeah there's that and the fact that in Aus the eVisitor visa is different than the ETA visa they have. Aus has 2 electronic visas from what i recall

1) An e-visa for European Union citizens that is free of charge and gives access for 3 mos - "e-Visitor"
2) An e-visa for American, Canadian, HKSAR and a few other nationalities that costs $14.95AUD and gives access for 3 months - "ETA"
Old Dec 26th 2014, 1:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
With all due respect, the article does come off a bit aggressive ......
Yeah, it was more than a bit Daily Mail-ish.