British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dual citizen with two passports... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dual-citizen-two-passports-849345/)

heresy123 Dec 22nd 2014 6:41 pm

Dual citizen with two passports...

I hold UK and US citizenship, but have just recently been wondering what the rules are with using passports...

I have heard that as a rule of thumb you should leave the country on the same passport you entered on... However I don't know if this actually applies with the US and the UK. I entered the US on my US passport but would like to leave on my UK passport so I can check into my flight online in advance.

Does anyone with experience know if this is actually an issue?

tonrob Dec 22nd 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Dual citizen with two passports...

Originally Posted by heresy123 (Post 11510584)
I hold UK and US citizenship, but have just recently been wondering what the rules are with using passports...

I have heard that as a rule of thumb you should leave the country on the same passport you entered on... However I don't know if this actually applies with the US and the UK. I entered the US on my US passport but would like to leave on my UK passport so I can check into my flight online in advance.

I hold both passports and travel between the two counties at least once a month. Enter/exit US on US passport (this is a requirement) and enter/exit UK on either (I use my UK one, it's quicker and no landing card to complete).

Edit: The words I've bolded in your post don't make sense to me. Looks like a non-issue unless you can explain more what you're thinking.

hungryhorace Dec 22nd 2014 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by heresy123 (Post 11510584)

Always enter and leave on your US. Which passport you use to enter the UK on is entirely your choice.

FWIW, I hold two passports, and never use my British one.

S Folinsky Dec 22nd 2014 7:01 pm

Dual national brother-in-law uses the US one to leave and enter US. He presents BOTH passports in London.

tonrob Dec 22nd 2014 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 11510614)
Dual national brother-in-law uses the US one to leave and enter US. He presents BOTH passports in London.

Nowadays they have automated gates at Heathrow (at least at T5) that accept UK passports. Through in seconds. Not entered on my US one since those appeared.

heresy123 Dec 22nd 2014 7:12 pm

Why do you say always enter and leave on US? I always enter on US to get treated better coming in, but why does it matter which I leave on? I have heard what you guys are saying before but never heard the reason behind it.

I found this article that seems to say it's better to check on to your flight with the passport of your destination, and that US doesn't check exit immigration. Step by Step Guide to Traveling with Two Passports - Style Hi Club I will be carrying both.

heresy123 Dec 22nd 2014 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 11510599)
I hold both passports and travel between the two counties at least once a month. Enter/exit US on US passport (this is a requirement) and enter/exit UK on either (I use my UK one, it's quicker and no landing card to complete).

Edit: The words I've bolded in your post don't make sense to me. Looks like a non-issue unless you can explain more what you're thinking.

I haven't booked a flight back to the States. I'll be coming back, but I haven't decided when yet. I think they just won't let me check in in advance because they think I need a visa or something as I haven't booked a return.

I've just checked in on my UK passport to save time. I'll have both passports with me so I can't see why there would be a problem.

lansbury Dec 22nd 2014 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by heresy123 (Post 11510628)
Why do you say always enter and leave on US? I always enter on US to get treated better coming in, but why does it matter which I leave on? I have heard what you guys are saying before but never heard the reason behind it.

It is US law that a US citizen may only enter and exit the US, using a US passport.

theOAP Dec 22nd 2014 7:58 pm

Why do you say always enter and leave on US? I always enter on US to get treated better coming in, but why does it matter which I leave on?

US Embassy - London:

I am a U.S. citizen, but also have a foreign passport. Can I travel to the United States on the foreign passport?

No. U.S. citizens must enter and leave the United States on valid U.S. passports, even if they hold a passport from another country.

U.S. Citizenship | Embassy of the United States

heresy123 Dec 22nd 2014 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by theOAP (Post 11510659)
US Embassy - London:

I am a U.S. citizen, but also have a foreign passport. Can I travel to the United States on the foreign passport?

No. U.S. citizens must enter and leave the United States on valid U.S. passports, even if they hold a passport from another country.

U.S. Citizenship | Embassy of the United States

Thanks! I'm not sure what the deal is with this - when I was a kid I didn't actually know I was a US citizen and frequently entered and exited the US on a British passport without a problem... I've checked in on the flight on my UK passport. I guess I'll just ask someone at the airport!

sir_eccles Dec 22nd 2014 9:05 pm

I found this article that seems to say it's better to check on to your flight with the passport of your destination, and that US doesn't check exit immigration. Step by Step Guide to Traveling with Two Passports - Style Hi Club I will be carrying both.

Rubbish. As others have said, it's the law that US citizens must exit and enter on their US passports.

People often get confused about US exit immigration control because of the lack of a man wearing a uniform of Customs and Border Patrol asking to see your passport. The exit control is performed by the airline at check-in, this information is sent electronically to Homeland Security etc.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...l1-sec53-2.pdf

heresy123 Dec 22nd 2014 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11510715)
Rubbish. As others have said, it's the law that US citizens must exit and enter on their US passports.

People often get confused about US exit immigration control because of the lack of a man wearing a uniform of Customs and Border Patrol asking to see your passport. The exit control is performed by the airline at check-in, this information is sent electronically to Homeland Security etc.

I feel like there is definitely contradictory information out there... I called Delta and they said I'm fine checking in on my UK passport. Some sites say you should use the passport of your destination.

I know the US govt site says you have to enter and exit on their passport but I think I'm going to ask at the airport.I left the UK on my US passport before I think. And I've definitely come in and out of the US on my UK passport in the past before I renewed my US one. All with no problems. Honestly, I don't see how it can be a big deal either way.

sir_eccles Dec 22nd 2014 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by heresy123 (Post 11510740)
I feel like there is definitely contradictory information out there... I called Delta and they said I'm fine checking in on my UK passport. Some sites say you should use the passport of your destination.

I know the US govt site says you have to enter and exit on their passport but I think I'm going to ask at the airport.I left the UK on my US passport before I think. And I've definitely come in and out of the US on my UK passport in the past before I renewed my US one. All with no problems. Honestly, I don't see how it can be a big deal either way.

Well the good news is that as far as I can tell the fee for requiring a waiver per 22 CFR 53.3 is currently $0.

heresy123 Dec 22nd 2014 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11510747)
Well the good news is that as far as I can tell the fee for requiring a waiver per 22 CFR 53.3 is currently $0.

I like the sound of good news... But you might have to elaborate on this?! :blink:

lansbury Dec 22nd 2014 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by heresy123 (Post 11510750)
I like the sound of good news... But you might have to elaborate on this?! :blink:

https://www.google.com/search?q=22+C...utf-8&oe=utf-8