Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DSL Monopoly

DSL Monopoly

Old Jan 1st 2006, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light
Default DSL Monopoly

Moving into a new place, regular apartment complex type-thing.

Now, I've a list of utilities and I'm told that the internet service is 'Ygnition'. They've a special offer at the moment, but like most things it's one of these 'cheap for a few months', then whacked up to some high price with a contract that you can't break without forking over a big sum.

Thing is this 'Ygnition' is a bit pricier than a lot of other DSL deals I've seen out there ($50 a month for 1MBit!). Now, I haven't a phone number yet so these 'checker' pages I can't really reliably use. I've tried the 'reception' phone number of the complex and it passes some DSL guys check pages, but not others.

Now, my question is I guess is whether DSL here is a monopoly, and I can only get service from Ygnition at my apartment... Or whether it's like the UK, and if my exchange is DSL enabled, I can go with pretty much any ISP?

Cheers.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 11:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DSL Monopoly

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11513177
Old Jan 1st 2006, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

Ah, not good.

I'm pretty sure my complex though uses Ygnition DSL rather than Ygnition Cable (the company offer both types of broadband), and I think some of the comments about 'no alternative' may be the cable guys'.

Sounds bollocks as well as far as P2P downloading goes. I was used to caning my ADSL in the UK.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 11:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drebin
Ah, not good.

I'm pretty sure my complex though uses Ygnition DSL rather than Ygnition Cable (the company offer both types of broadband), and I think some of the comments about 'no alternative' may be the cable guys'.

Sounds bollocks as well as far as P2P downloading goes. I was used to caning my ADSL in the UK.
Looks like a bad choice. But if they've got a monopoly on the complex, it's going to be difficult to avoid. The DSL looks so bad, in fact, that it might be better to just used a 9.99 dial-up service!

Generally, cable rules here! No contract, $40/month gives a 6Mbs/512Kbs here in Phoenix. The up's a little slow for maintaining your ratios on membership bittorrent sites but livable with.

Look to see if the Verizon wireless broadband is available chez tu. It's not a cheap option but it's nice and fast. One problem is that it is intended for laptops and, AFAIK, the only interface is a PCMIA card, something that would prevent you doing a few things such as using VoIP for your home phone. Maybe worth a look anyway.

If you're just using it for browsing occasionally, just hang a wi-fi antenna nice and high and you'll get a non-secure signal from some local idiot. Wouldn't use it for my banking, though!
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Look to see if the Verizon wireless broadband is available chez tu. It's not a cheap option but it's nice and fast. One problem is that it is intended for laptops and, AFAIK, the only interface is a PCMIA card, something that would prevent you doing a few things such as using VoIP for your home phone. Maybe worth a look anyway.
Yeah, seems pretty good but it's a hefty $80 a month... I'd consider it if I travelled on business, but I don't do anything like that.

If you're just using it for browsing occasionally, just hang a wi-fi antenna nice and high and you'll get a non-secure signal from some local idiot. Wouldn't use it for my banking, though!
Yeah, was hoping there would be one of these. I just got here and tried it out, and lo and behold a strong signal unsecured one. Nice to tide me over until I get stuff sorted anyhow. It downloads at a healthy 90-100KB/s from microsoft.com, so whatever the guy's using it's not that bad I suppose.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 2:34 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Get to meet the neighbors and speak to them about who they use.

With any provider, you will have a group that love it and a group that hate it.

My ride with Bellsouth was rough at first but I'm actually enjoying their DSL Xtreme now.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use dial-up in my apartment because Comcast were the only company who could provide broadband and they were expensive.

You could perhaps get to know the neighbours and setup a little wireless community, say 3 apartments all using one connection and sharing the cost.

That might be against the ISPs usage policy but its unlikely they'll find out.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried sonic.net?

Originally Posted by Drebin
Moving into a new place, regular apartment complex type-thing.

Now, I've a list of utilities and I'm told that the internet service is 'Ygnition'. They've a special offer at the moment, but like most things it's one of these 'cheap for a few months', then whacked up to some high price with a contract that you can't break without forking over a big sum.

Thing is this 'Ygnition' is a bit pricier than a lot of other DSL deals I've seen out there ($50 a month for 1MBit!). Now, I haven't a phone number yet so these 'checker' pages I can't really reliably use. I've tried the 'reception' phone number of the complex and it passes some DSL guys check pages, but not others.

Now, my question is I guess is whether DSL here is a monopoly, and I can only get service from Ygnition at my apartment... Or whether it's like the UK, and if my exchange is DSL enabled, I can go with pretty much any ISP?

Cheers.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:42 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Just got off the blower with Verizon, got DSL at home for $14.95 p/m (1 year contract).

Also bought a wireless router for $14.95 so no more wires running around the bedroom.

Could of had the Fios (fiberoptic faster than shit off a shovel) service for $34.95 but I'm a tight wad!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

[QUOTE=

Could of had the Fios (fiberoptic faster than shit off a shovel) service for $34.95 but I'm a tight wad![/QUOTE]

WORTH EVERY PENNY MATE!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by izibear
WORTH EVERY PENNY MATE!!!
Couldn't agree more ....Verizon FIOS kicks butt over the other offerings here in the DFW area. I have Verizon FIOS TV too now and would strongly recommend that to anyone looking for an excellent picture quality.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Managed to get service through SBC in the end (same company that does my phone). So I guess if you've DSL, it doesn't matter who you go with... Cable is probably a different case though!

Was $34.99 a month (once the 6 month much lower rate has passed anyhow), that's for 1.5Mbps, compared to Ygnition who were $49.99 for 1Mbps!