British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   DS-230 Trick Question? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ds-230-trick-question-112050/)

eiloo Oct 1st 2002 4:31 am

DS-230 Trick Question?

I think I know the answer to this but am just curious as to why it is asked. I received my first set of paperwork from Montreal today, 18 days after I-129F approval from VSC. On the DS-230 PART I - BIOGRAPHIC DATA, it asks on question 14, Name of Spouse, Family, First, Middle, date of birth etc... As they have this HUGE "K" on the top of the form, wouldn't it be odd if anyone filled something in it as they already know I am filing for a K1 Fiance Visa? Or is this form used for bringing one's spouse in as well? As I am not yet married (the reason why I am going through this paperwork), I can/should leave this question "N/A".

Ian

Folinskyinla Oct 1st 2002 4:37 am

Re: DS-230 Trick Question?

Originally posted by eiloo:
I think I know the answer to this but am just curious as to why it is asked. I received my first set of paperwork from Montreal today, 18 days after I-129F approval from VSC. On the DS-230 PART I - BIOGRAPHIC DATA, it asks on question 14, Name of Spouse, Family, First, Middle, date of birth etc... As they have this HUGE "K" on the top of the form, wouldn't it be odd if anyone filled something in it as they already know I am filing for a K1 Fiance Visa? Or is this form used for bringing one's spouse in as well? As I am not yet married (the reason why I am going through this paperwork), I can/should leave this question "N/A".

Ian

Hi:

The DS-230 is a standard form used for ALL types of immigrant visas. In your case, it is being adapted for the K-1 visa. Also, do note that a K-3 **IS** already married, by definition.

The answer is NOT "N/A" -- it is "NONE" or "not married"

eiloo Oct 1st 2002 4:40 am

Originally posted by Folinskyinla:

Hi:

The DS-230 is a standard form used for ALL types of immigrant visas. In your case, it is being adapted for the K-1 visa. Also, do note that a K-3 **IS** already married, by definition.

The answer is NOT "N/A" -- it is "NONE" or "not married"

Thanks for the confirmation. However, on the top of the form it says, "Mark questions that are Not Applicable with "N/A". Should I not follow what is on the form?

Me Oct 1st 2002 11:12 am

"eiloo" wrote in message
news:430213.1033447222@britishexpats-
.com
    > Originally posted by Folinskyinla:
    > >
...> > The answer is NOT "N/A" -- it is "NONE" or "not married"
    > Thanks for the confirmation. However, on the top of the form it says,
    > "Mark questions that are Not Applicable with "N/A". Should I not follow
    > what is on the form?

You can put "N/A (None)" or "N/A (not married)" . Just because you put N/A
or None or whatever doesn't mean that you can't add more info, if you are
concerned.

Harvey Leems Oct 1st 2002 2:35 pm

The problem arises from the fact that the question IS APPLICABLE. Marking
it N/A means Not Applicable. That is not the answer, the answer is Not
Married or NONE.

Yes, for questions that are truly Not Applicable one would use N/A.
However, this is not the case for questions that ARE applicable, just have
an answer of None or Other.

--
Harvey Leems
"eiloo" wrote in message
news:430213.1033447222@britishexpats-
.com
    > Originally posted by Folinskyinla:
    > >
    > >
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > The DS-230 is a standard form used for ALL types of immigrant visas.
    > > In your case, it is being adapted for the K-1 visa. Also, do note
    > > that a K-3 **IS** already married, by definition.
    > >
    > > The answer is NOT "N/A" -- it is "NONE" or "not married"
    > Thanks for the confirmation. However, on the top of the form it says,
    > "Mark questions that are Not Applicable with "N/A". Should I not follow
    > what is on the form?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Folinskyinla Oct 1st 2002 2:56 pm

Originally posted by eiloo:

Thanks for the confirmation. However, on the top of the form it says, "Mark questions that are Not Applicable with "N/A". Should I not follow what is on the form?

Hi:

As you note yourself, as a K-1, you are not married. In order to qualify for the K-1, you must free to marry which means you are NOT married. So the question IS "applicable" and quite relevant. So "none" or "not married" are the correct answers. "N/A" could hide a secret marriage.