British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   DS-230 Paranoia! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ds-230-paranoia-112221/)

eiloo Oct 3rd 2002 3:45 am

DS-230 Paranoia!

After my last post about the DS-230 and how Question 14 was not the N/A answer I thought it was, I would like to get some opinions on answers for other "ambiguous" questions.

Other Names Used or Aliases
I use my middle and last name the most often. My driver's license, credit cards, passport only have my middle and last name. There are 2 pieces of ID that I do have which have my full name, first, middle and last. One being my Birth Certificate and the other being my Social Insurance Card (Canada). I was thinking of putting in this section just my middle and last name combination. Would that be sufficient?

Including my present marriage, I have been married ________ times.
Should this be, "no", "zero", "0"??

Permanent address in the US where you intend to live, if known...
I presume this needs to be consistent with the I-129F. We put my fiancee's address when the I-129F was filed. One question about the fillable form, it only gives one line to use but has a HUGE space there. I can't fit both her name as well as her address on one line though. Should I just write it in afterwards?

Your Present Occupation
Only the title of my position? Not the address or the company since they ask for it on the other side under the employment section?

I know about the SPOUSE portion of this form, I should be using not married or none.

List Names, Dates and Places... of ALL Children
As I don't have children (that I know of *LOL*) should I use N/A in this section or none?

List all places you have lived for at least six months...
It asks you FROM/TO (mm-yyyy). If I want to say "TO PRESENT"... what do I put as the (mm-yyyy) for the TO section?

Persons named in 14 and 19 who will accompany...
N/A or None? As 14 is the SPOUSE and 19 is the CHILDREN. I can use this answer for the next question about if they will FOLLOW me to the US later.

Languages spoken or read
If I speak a language but don't read it, I assume I can still list it and surely I would have to list English as default.

Previous Military Service
I've never been in the Military... N/A or None?

List dates of all previous visits to or residence in the US.
This one is the one I dread the most... I've been to visit my fiancee NUMEROUS times over the past 2 years that I have known her. It asks for "all previous visits"... How am I to list even my weekend visits when I don't remember what weekends I was there? I drove a good number of times to Michigan from Toronto to visit her. Should I put the latest few times only? It does state I can attach other sheets if necessary... I'll have to crank out a binder.

Thanks,
Ian

Folinskyinla Oct 3rd 2002 5:05 am

Re: DS-230 Paranoia!

Originally posted by eiloo:
After my last post about the DS-230 and how Question 14 was not the N/A answer I thought it was, I would like to get some opinions on answers for other "ambiguous" questions.

Other Names Used or Aliases
I use my middle and last name the most often. My driver's license, credit cards, passport only have my middle and last name. There are 2 pieces of ID that I do have which have my full name, first, middle and last. One being my Birth Certificate and the other being my Social Insurance Card (Canada). I was thinking of putting in this section just my middle and last name combination. Would that be sufficient?

Including my present marriage, I have been married ________ times.
Should this be, "no", "zero", "0"??

Permanent address in the US where you intend to live, if known...
I presume this needs to be consistent with the I-129F. We put my fiancee's address when the I-129F was filed. One question about the fillable form, it only gives one line to use but has a HUGE space there. I can't fit both her name as well as her address on one line though. Should I just write it in afterwards?

Your Present Occupation
Only the title of my position? Not the address or the company since they ask for it on the other side under the employment section?

I know about the SPOUSE portion of this form, I should be using not married or none.

List Names, Dates and Places... of ALL Children
As I don't have children (that I know of *LOL*) should I use N/A in this section or none?

List all places you have lived for at least six months...
It asks you FROM/TO (mm-yyyy). If I want to say "TO PRESENT"... what do I put as the (mm-yyyy) for the TO section?

Persons named in 14 and 19 who will accompany...
N/A or None? As 14 is the SPOUSE and 19 is the CHILDREN. I can use this answer for the next question about if they will FOLLOW me to the US later.

Languages spoken or read
If I speak a language but don't read it, I assume I can still list it and surely I would have to list English as default.

Previous Military Service
I've never been in the Military... N/A or None?

List dates of all previous visits to or residence in the US.
This one is the one I dread the most... I've been to visit my fiancee NUMEROUS times over the past 2 years that I have known her. It asks for "all previous visits"... How am I to list even my weekend visits when I don't remember what weekends I was there? I drove a good number of times to Michigan from Toronto to visit her. Should I put the latest few times only? It does state I can attach other sheets if necessary... I'll have to crank out a binder.

Thanks,
Ian

Other names -- Don't worry about some having middle names, other middle intials etc.. Rockefeller, John David will cover John Rockefeller, J.D. Rockefeller and John D. Rockefeller. Howver, if he ever used "Rocky" or for some reason, it had been Stoneman, put that in. The classic example is a woman's maiden name and previous married names.

If never married, then you were married zero, 0, none, zip, nada, never.

Permanent address -- just put in the address. If you want to interlineate by hand, there is no problem with that. My forms program sometimes have fields too small and I pull out the original BIC word processor and interlineate.

Present occupation -- "Hi, I'm an attorney, what do you do?" How would you answer that? Now you know what to put in more likely than not.

I put in "no children" or "none" in the first space. It gets the idea across.

List languages -- the old version of the OF 230 used to have listings for spoken & written. This used to be more important when the immigration laws used to include a literacy requirement.

If you have the information, then list it. However, as a Canadian, you could probably get away with numerous vists in border area, none exceeding __ days.