Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DS-2029 Report of Birth Abroad

DS-2029 Report of Birth Abroad

Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

raestarlight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DS-2029 Report of Birth Abroad

I'm struggling with number 12. Precise Periods of Physical Presence in United States.

I am USC and my Husband is UKC. I lived in USA on and off until I was 16 when I moved to the UK permanently. I have been on holiday to the USA quite a few times since.

Am I supposed to actually list every single entry and exit to the USA. (I might need a couple of sheets of paper to attach!) Or am I supposed to just list when I was officially resident there.

For my husband, do I list each and every holiday he's ever had to the USA? He has never lived there; yet!

Rachelle
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

hydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nice
Default Re: DS-2029 Report of Birth Abroad

the USC will need to refer to the passports, thats what we did in december. you then transfer all the dates to a piece of paper they give you with required signature.

The UKC should also fill it in, but when i did this and added the extra piece of paper they didnt care about the extra part and gave it me back.

edit: update

Last edited by hydrasoul; Feb 1st 2011 at 3:37 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply.

One of my passports was lost, so I don't have access to those stamps anymore. Do you think that would cause a problem?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have enough time accumulated to pass US citizenship to your child?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

littlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nice

If you cannot prove (through passports) that you have the required one year of continuous physical presence, they get you to request entry/exit records from US Customs and Border Patrol. US Embassy, London, will give you the form and details in which to request this. I had to do this in order to pass USC to my daughter and it took about 3-4 months to hear back from the USCPB with the records. Once I had them, I took them back to the embassy (the record can be mailed in) and it took two weeks to get the consular report of birth abroad.

As for your husband, it's up to you if you want to put his travel to and from the US on the form but it's not really relevant as he cannot pass USC to your child.

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

hydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
for our daughter it was done on the day, but the passport we told them on the appt online form the urgent within xx days of travel, and it was returned prompt within the time frame allocated. that was a simple case though, as we were in and out of the embassy rather quick. later we received a US birth cert and a SSN.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
I lived in USA for 11 years between the age of 5 and 16. I moved 2 days after my 16th birthday. I understand that you need two years from age 14... so I only just made it!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by littlemadam
If you cannot prove (through passports) that you have the required one year of continuous physical presence, they get you to request entry/exit records from US Customs and Border Patrol. US Embassy, London, will give you the form and details in which to request this.
Is it worth doing this anyways? That sounds easier than trying to remember! I'm remembering occasions, but not exact dates.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

littlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nicelittlemadam is just really nice

Originally Posted by raestarlight
Is it worth doing this anyways? That sounds easier than trying to remember! I'm remembering occasions, but not exact dates.
You may not have to do this-it depends on if the embassy will accept the dates you give. Keep in mind many Americans (such as the post above) never have a problem and get the certificate issued there and then. If you have time and you think it may be an issue, go ahead and apply for entry/exit records from the USCBP. It's free except for mailing the form to them.

This is the form the Embassy gives you (I found it online) and I sent an accompanying letter stating what I needed, approximate dates of when I'd been to and from the US, and all names/passport numbers used. Just provide what you can.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-639.pdf

I just mailed it to the USCBP:

U. S. Customs & Border Protection
FOIA Officer
1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Mint Annex
Washington, D.C. 20229-1181

FOIA Officer Dorothy R. Pullo
FOIA/Requester Service Center Contact: Elissa Kay
Phone: 202-325-0150
Fax: 202-325-0154
E-mail: [email protected]

Highlight FOIA on envelope.

Best!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by littlemadam
You may not have to do this-it depends on if the embassy will accept the dates you give. Keep in mind many Americans (such as the post above) never have a problem and get the certificate issued there and then. If you have time and you think it may be an issue, go ahead and apply for entry/exit records from the USCBP. It's free except for mailing the form to them.

This is the form the Embassy gives you (I found it online) and I sent an accompanying letter stating what I needed, approximate dates of when I'd been to and from the US, and all names/passport numbers used. Just provide what you can.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-639.pdf

I just mailed it to the USCBP:

U. S. Customs & Border Protection
FOIA Officer
1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Mint Annex
Washington, D.C. 20229-1181

FOIA Officer Dorothy R. Pullo
FOIA/Requester Service Center Contact: Elissa Kay
Phone: 202-325-0150
Fax: 202-325-0154
E-mail: [email protected]

Highlight FOIA on envelope.

Best!
That is really kind and helpfull!! Thank you so much
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, I completely forgot () that I did have to have the form notarized and this did cost. I went to a British notary near where I live and it cost 50 GBP. The US Embassy (if you're in or near London) have notary services and I am sure they are much cheaper.

Also, the form does say that there may be a charge (up to $25) but this depends on how much paper they use in printing out your record. I had seven pages and did not have to pay any charges.

Hope it all goes well.