Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DS-156 Form - Help please.

DS-156 Form - Help please.

Old Apr 25th 2009, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

M477HEW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DS-156 Form - Help please.

I am just filling in my DS-156 form my visa interview and am struggling slightly with how to fill in my employment details. I'm worried that if I make a mistake on the form my interview wont go ahead. Obviously, for this reason, I would like to complete all sections correctly.

I work as a web developer and for the past 6 months I have been working on a personal project with the intention to work for myself. The site is online now and I've recently formed the company here in the UK opened a business bank accounts. I was intending to work full time for myself btu have since been offered a job to start in a month. I've already accepted the job offer and my sister has agreed to deal with any enquiries that are generated though my website. I don't see it being very many in the first 6 months as the site is new and therefore wont be ranked highly with the search engines. I can simply work evenings and weekends.

My dilemma is that I don't know how I should complete my DS-156 form. Is my employer my own company or will it be the company where I've accepted the job offer? All I have is an 'offer of employment' - no pay slips as yet.

I'd hate to have waited so long for my interview date and to mess it up by not completing the forms correctly. Can anyone offer any advice as to how I can best complete the form?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by M477HEW; Apr 25th 2009 at 4:46 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-156 Form - Help please.

The DS-156 asks for your "present employer" not your "prospective" or "future" employer.

So, in your case, the answer looks like it is either "none" or "self employed".
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

M477HEW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DS-156 Form - Help please.

thank you. you are absolutely right. obviously i cant see the wood for the trees as they say. its seems so simple now you've pointed it out. thanks again.